PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back in time? Then when?

wierdscience
02-22-2005, 10:16 PM
If you could go back in time,what event in history would you want to witness?

For me it would be a toss up between the Wright Brother's first flight or the building of the Trans-Continental Railroad.

So,what would you guy's like to see?

Smokedaddy
02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
The biblical parting of the sea would be a good start.

-SD:

egpace
02-22-2005, 10:54 PM
The construction of the great pyramid at giza.

Thrud
02-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, now that I now the winnig numbes for the lottery - last Saturday at 5:00PM wold be fine...

lenord
02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I'd go back to 20 minutes before beginning of time, whenever that really was, just to see how everything started.

Lenord

Joel
02-23-2005, 12:21 AM
I think I see a small flaw in your plan lenord. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

vmil3
02-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Where I last put my glasses down(*&^%&^%$#@.

------------------
Doug

J. Randall
02-23-2005, 12:35 AM
I like to be hiding behind a bush when they hide the Beal treasure. James

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-23-2005, 01:05 AM
I would like to go back in time to when I was a kid hacking on my Apple ][ and my pride and joy hard disk crashed.. My world revolved around my Apple ][ hard disk.. It was a crushing blow that I never recovered from.. It was like loosing a loved one..

I'd like to go back in time, and repair that hard disk for myself. I was alone.. My parents didn't know anything about computers.. My beloved hard disk physically broke somehow, and I wasn't mature enough to deal with a tragic loss like that.. I spent a year working my A$$ off on a paper route saving up for an Apple ][ hard disk..

-3Ph

matador
02-23-2005, 01:12 AM
the 60's would do nicely.mini skirts,great cars,great music.the world ain't what it used to be.on the other hand,in the 60's i could never have afforded my machinery http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif.let's hear it for the 21st century.woohoo! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
Hans

Evan
02-23-2005, 02:40 AM
I would sort of like to show John Bardeen and Walter Brattain and William Shockley a modern laptop computer.

psomero
02-23-2005, 04:17 AM
i'd go back like ten years and go work with my grandpa running the michigan tech university machine shop. it sucks i got into machining and stuff the year after he died...

Spin Doctor
02-23-2005, 05:42 AM
Where to start

March, 1912 so I could put a gun to Bruce J Ismay's head and force him to install the rest of the lifeboats

speedy
02-23-2005, 05:54 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:

For me it would be a toss up between the Wright Brother's first flight
[/B]</font>

I would have liked to be present when Richard Pearce made the worlds first powered flight in 1903 and to be able to compare the times of 100 years ago.
Oh yes also, to revisit the 60's when, as a teenager, I enjoyed the adventure of travelling from Auckland to Wellington by steam train....bloody fantastic!!!!

cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 02-23-2005).]

IOWOLF
02-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Smokedaddy, That would be the aledged "parting of the sea"

As for me I have made too many mistakes in my life to go back and pick one, so I would have to say go back far enough to Invest in some prime stock like IBM ,UPRR,Xerox.any Berkshire Hathaway stock the list goes on and on. Or maybe to the 1950's and invest in buying guns and harleys, but the last saturday night one is good.

joahmon
02-23-2005, 08:19 AM
I would like to show the Wright brothers a SR-71 and then a C5 with their plane in the cargo hold.

pgmrdan
02-23-2005, 08:26 AM
1. Death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus. I want to know what really happened.

2. Be with Siddhartha Gautama (The Buddha) the last 3 years of his life. Follow him on his journeys and hear his sermons. Maybe get to speak with him one-to-one.

3. Spend a year with Adolph Hitler during his childhood as a close friend to see if I could talk some sense into him or kill him and make it look like an accident.

4. Be in attendance when the decision was made to bomb Nagasaki and Hiroshima. See if they had some alternatives that could have avoided those horrible acts.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 02-23-2005).]

madman
02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
When they first opened the MOOSEHEAD BREWERY AND HAD A FREE BEER DAY.

rbregn
02-23-2005, 10:55 AM
I would like to back when I was a kid and give myself finacial advice. You know the kind about responsibilty.I would have also told myself that I will be alive alot longer then I figured I would, so try not to do somuch stupid stuff, so I don't hurt somuch now!
Rob

Paul Gauthier
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I would go back to the time of the Dinosaurs.

------------------
Paul G.

mayfieldtm
02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Sometimes I wish I could go back 20 minutes at the Horse Track.
or...
Go back 20 minutes before I got married.

Tom M.

SGW
02-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Lots of possibilities. Here's a few.

For "shop stuff," I'd like to see my grandfather working in his blacksmith shop.

Outside the shop, I'd like to see Willie "The Lion" Smith and James P. Johnson playing piano in an after-hours dive in 1930s Harlem.

Hang out with Mark Twain in a riverboat pilot house and listen to him spin yarns.

dvk
02-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Every person has the priveledge to go back in time because God graciously gave us the Book of Genesis, where time actually started.

jkilroy
02-23-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd like to go back to when I was 20 the day before my cousin died in a boating accident and tell him to put on a life jacket.

------------------
James Kilroy

3jaw
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I would like to go back to Dec. 8th, 1941 so I could have served my country in one of its most desperate (yet unified) times.

ERBenoit
02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I would like to go back to:

1) About the time the industrial revolution was taking off.

2) Mid/late 1800's when, at the time, the largest cotton mill in the world under one roof was being constructed in the town I live in. (Ponemah Mill in Taftville CT). The building, and how/why some of the features in the building construction is amazing. My grandparents both worked in that mill in the '20's and 30s, maybe the early '40's also. I was amazed at their stories of daily life and working there. To see first hand, working conditions in the factories, and living conditions in cities/towns in that era.

3) Mid/late 1800's, early 1900's, when is seemed like every day someone was inventing something new.

3) Sort of a history buff. Just about anything at any time would probably be of interest.

ERBenoit
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
I would like to go back to:

1) About the time the industrial revolution was taking off.

2) Mid/late 1800's when, at the time, the largest cotton mill in the world under one roof was being constructed in the town I live in. (Ponemah Mill in Taftville CT). The building, and how/why some of the features in the building construction is amazing. My grandparents both worked in that mill in the 1920's and '30s, maybe the early '40's also. I was amazed at their stories of daily life and working there. To see first hand, working conditions in the factories, and living conditions in cities/towns in that era.

3) Mid/late 1800's, early 1900's, when is seemed like every day someone was inventing something new.

3) Sort of a history buff. Just about anything at any time would probably be of interest.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 02-23-2005).]

JCHannum
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Ten minutes ago so I can find my damn glasses.

Evan
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Check on your nose.

JCHannum
02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
That's the first place I look at.

rockrat
02-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm with ERBenoit. I'd like to be poking around in the late 1800's to watch the industrial revolution get going. Might be a good time. Then again, if I had to pick a year, around 1887 and living in Paris. It would be fun to have an apartment in view of where the Eiffel tower was built and watch it being built. I have no clue what draws me to that structure, but every time I'm there it seems cool that someone thought the whole thing up and constructed it.

OR back early enough to follow Jimmy Hoffa around to see where he realy is.

Anyone for Roswell??? http://www.lachmeister.de/images/smilies/Alien/alien_15.gif

lotsa luck
02-23-2005, 09:09 PM
17 years and 3 months to tell the doctors to go ahead and do the c-section NOW and not wait any longer only to lose my wife and son an hour later.
I miss them...

Joel
02-23-2005, 09:20 PM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Your Old Dog
02-24-2005, 09:06 AM
I'd like to go back to September 11th, 2001......daily......until we all remember what a cancer to humanity terrorism really is and why this countrys poloticians need to work together to show our resolve and not all pull in differant directions.

spkrman15
02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
For pleasure

To when i first started skiing. Remembering the great day i had.

For a do-over

High school. Never liked it. Everyone else did.

For the world

Hey guys...let's not go to the beach. Tsunami http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

For machining

I should have taken machining instead of going to University. Seriously

For my family.

I have a baby on the way. Due on the 28th. Our first, so i would not go back in time, just want it to move forward!!

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

BillH
02-24-2005, 12:45 PM
1920's, get to see all the steam locomotives in mainline action!

debequem
02-24-2005, 02:02 PM
10 minutes before the Daleks get here so I could escape!

E-X-T-E-R-M-I-N-A-T-E!

E-X-T-E-R-M-I-N-A-T-E!

E-X-T-E-R-M-I-N-A-T-E!

POLAR10
02-24-2005, 02:15 PM
About 49,000 years ago when a large chunk of rock slammed into the earth to form Meteor Crater in AZ. Of course, I need a safe place some distance away to see it happen.

uncrichie
02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Dealey Plaza Nov 22, 1963 with multiple high speed cameras at strategic locations, what conspiracy. Uncrichie...

Joel
02-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Associated Press News, November 23, 1963,
Uncrichie jailed for assassination.

The accused, a Mr.Uncrichie from Pennsylvania, was arrested for the assassination of our 35th president, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, who was brutally shot in Dallas on November 22nd.

It has been proven that Mr. Uncrichie purchased over a dozen cameras only days before the assassination, and was seen by many credible witnesses setting them up in the surrounding area on the morning of the tragic event.

Mr. Uncrichie claims to have “just had a bad feeling” about the event. He says he is “not associated in any way” and is “just an observer”. When questioned as to why he had over a dozen high-speed cameras pointed at curious locations interspersed directly around the assassination site, such as a grassy section and several pointed at the schoolbook depository itself (the origin of the gunshots as captured by the cameras), Mr. Uncrichie had no story that found credibility with the Secret Service or local law enforcement. No witnesses were found who could verify his location at the time the shots were fired. He is currently being held without bail at the Dallas police headquarters while undergoing interrogation.

Mr. Uncrichie is expected to be transferred to the county jail at 11:00am tomorrow morning. A crowd is expected to be present for the transfer, as many want to see the killer in person.

Curiously, there is another person with the same unusual name currently living in Pennsylvania. He doesn’t appear to be associated with the accused as he is a young boy whose interests include taking things apart, time traveling, and conspiracies.

egpace
02-25-2005, 12:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
If you could go back in time,what event in history would you want to witness?

For me it would be a toss up between the Wright Brother's first flight or the building of the Trans-Continental Railroad.

So,what would you guy's like to see?

</font>

Right before you made this post, so I could advise you not to!

darryl
02-25-2005, 01:18 AM
to the late 1800's when Nikola Tesla was doing his experiments with electricity.

Orrin
02-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Naw, I wouldn't want to go back in time. IMHO, we are living in the most exciting era of all time. I wanna stick around and see more of it.

But, for some those of you who have answered the question, I am very impressed with your thoughtful and intriguing responses. Thank you for doing your part to make this the most exciting and interesting place in history.

Orrin

msrm
02-26-2005, 01:39 AM
I agree read Genesis, it is all there. Only
THE GOD of the UNIVERSE can perform miracles. Lotsluck, that is truly sad.

1. Tell my best fried Brian not to lean against the tree (that was rotten, but didn't appear rotten)so he wouldn't fall over a cliff. We were in 5th grade.
2. Take college much more serious.
3. Joined the Army out of high school and
tried my hand at Special Forces.
Civilian life is boring
4. Been at Murock Dry Lakebed (now Edwards
Air Force Base) with Chuck Yeager during
the dawn of the jet age. To see all the
planes that never made. To see the
pictures on the wall at the bar outside
the base, of lost pilots.

I don't think President Truman had any other
alternative to end the war. Sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Yes
war is evil.

jimfun
02-26-2005, 04:44 AM
There is no god. Man created god because he is afaraid to face his own mortality. This life is all there ever was, is, or will be. Enjoy it while it lasts.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dvk:
Every person has the priveledge to go back in time because God graciously gave us the Book of Genesis, where time actually started.

</font>

Spin Doctor
02-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Some one once asked the dinosaur guy Horner if he would like to go back and see the Cretaceous and he emphatically said no. They were big, the hatching grounds most likely stank to high heaven (think about it) and you'd probably get crushed underfoot.

And Joel, that was a good one. It proves the old adage of be careful what you wish for, you might get it