PDA

View Full Version : Axle spindle

timh
02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi all i need to turn some metal to a taper "axle spindle" what would be the best way to polish after turning and how much metal should i leave or how much will polishing remove? I was thinking of useing 4140 any ideas. Thanks Bob

Paul Gauthier
02-26-2005, 05:43 PM
What will you be using for bearings, plain bearing or ball or roller bearings. For plain bearings (bronze or brass) you only need to leave about .001".0015" for polish and check frequently as you polish. for ball or roller bearings you should have a + or - nothing would be good. A fit that you can push on with you hand but no slop.

------------------
Paul G.

timh
02-26-2005, 07:05 PM
It will be ball or roller it is for a wheel so what ever is best and fits. To polish would you just use sand paper and is this more for looks or function as far as the bearing surface or as you say just so it fits good?

rbregn
02-26-2005, 07:45 PM
What is the application?

timh
02-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Well it is for a half scale model of a world war two vehicle when done will weight about 450lbs. this is for the axle for the wheels trying to make as close to the full size part as i can finish ect.

PSD KEN
02-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Work your way down to 2000grit paper, and you will have a absolutly wonderful,chrome-like, super smooth finish, pretty too.

CCWKen
02-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Front axle or rear? Shouldn't be a need to polish. If it's for the front, it doesn't really need to be tapered either. Just cut it down for the outer bearing and thread the end for a castle nut. (with cotter pin) The bearings should be a slip fit on the axle. The nut is used to preload the bearings (roller).

If the axle (wheel off) will be displayed, then rough taper between the bearings and polish with sandpaper. How about some "progress pics"!

timh
02-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Yes i will try and post pics but may be some time thanks to all for your help!