PDA

View Full Version : old Cutler-Hammer motor starter questions

andy_b
02-26-2005, 05:37 PM
on this B&S Omniversal mill i'm trying to get running it has an ancient Cutler-Hammer starter in it (probably late 1930s). the starter is in great shape, but as usual it has a 440V coil and i need 220V. this one has me stumped. i've been able to cross-reference old GE and Allen-Bradley stuff, but i can't match up any numbers on this old C-H starter. the starter is marked 9586H696A on the main bar that pulls the contacts in when the coil is energized. the coil is marked 440V - 60C 464-3 and the heaters are marked 0154. does anyone have any knowledge of these old starters to direct me to a source for a 220V coil and possibly some different heaters?

thanks,

andy b.

MJMIKE
02-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Call Electrical Controller Products in Houston - they are wizards on lod, antique electrical equipment and are amazing in what old parts they come up with. Their number is 713-222-9191

------------------
Mike

andy_b
02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Mike,

thanks! i'll call them monday.

andy b.

jimfun
02-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Is your starter a reversing starter? If not you can just order a new Cuttler Hammer starter for 220. I have installed them on several peices of equipment including 2 logan lathes and they function just fine. It's not critical. A starter is a starter. It's a coil that pulls in a contactor. Most of the bigs make 220v contactors. If theres nothing special about it you can use any new 220v contactor.

andy_b
02-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Mike,

well i called and they don't have anything for it. they said the model starter i have was made from 1920-1940s and was obsoleted in 1960. i know i can squeeze a modern starter in there, but it is just the principle of it. a totally good and functional piece of equipment and it is one step from being junk because a simple coil isn't available. i may have a line on a coil from somewhere else, and a local motor rewinding shop said he could wind me one (for who knows how much). we'll see what happens. i just hate to put a piece of 2005 electronics in a 1930s machine.

andy b.

DennisB
02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Andy, one other possible solution is to buy a 220/440 control transformer.

Obviously it takes up more space and you may have to mount it externally to the contactor enclosure.

The electric shop you called should be able to properly size the transformer for you.

Dennis

MJMIKE
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
If Andy had only the coil he would still need the heaters. Going 230 to 460 you could ignore the heaters at the risk of burning up the motor but going the other way the overloads are just going to trip.

The cheapest fix is probably one of those dedicated purpose starters from maybe WW Grainger. They are cheap and have adjustable overloads but you can't repair them and shouldn't have to in hobby service.

------------------
Mike