PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE

Techtchr
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
No, I'm not selling anything! At least not here. As some of you know I repair musical instruments. I occasionally sell a few too. I've been using a reputable web site that posts free clasified ads specific to the instrument i collect. I've both bought and sold instruments through this site. Here's my gripe. Since I posted two instruments last week I've received at least 50 e-mails from fraudulent people who want to buy my instrument. How do I know they're frauds? First of all, the ad clearly states the price and my payment conditions as well as my preference not to ship out of the US and not to accept third party payments. All of these e-mails follow one of two formats.

I am in the UK, France, Nigeria...want to buy your ____ please send details, no need to worry about shipping, my "agent" will contact you... or, I am king queen, nephew... of ____ I have $35,000,000 that I need help getting to the US. You will receive 25%... God Bless...

My questions to all of you is, how many people actually bite on these, especially the second senario? I can see how someone could possibly think the first one might be real. Also, I'm not in favor of the death penalty in general, but do you think it would be OK to execute someone who scams someone this way, or sends out e-mail viruses, worms, or the like? Lastly, when someone is scamming you and they use terms like God Bless that leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth. I am not all that religious, but I think there should be a corner of Hell reserved for people who do this. Maybe there is http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Rant over
Matt

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Matt, I remember reading about a person selling ??? and the "buyer had his agent" present a bank-issued cashier's check. Cool, no problem. Seller shipped the item. Two weeks later the bank that issued the check notifies seller that check has been cancelled...seller never got the $$$ or the item back.

A lot of people wake up every morning thinking of ways to seperate honest people from their money. I see them every now and then in Small Claims Court, which is highly satisfying!

------------------
Barry Milton

topct
02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
An employee at the accounting office for a county north of me sent $85,000 dollars of county money to Nigeria.

Yes people bite on these. Sad.

Another one to watch for is the cashiers check for more money than requested. They want you o mail them back the eccess. So people will send the eccess only to find out to late that the cashiers check is no good.

------------------
Gene

Norman Atkinson
02-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Matt,
The majority of people in the UK are like your good selves in the US of A,as honest as the day is long. It is only a few that cause the trouble.

I have just had an E-Mail from Priscilla- who wants to get me into my own home in 30 days.Wow! I have innumerous offers to do something with my Willie. No offers of the Three in One treatment- that's 3 of sand to one of cement; I wait in vein( vain)

Then its nice to hear from some high born lady in Africa who thinks that she will divest all her family gold to me. Does she know that my loaded 9mm Sten gun was propped against my door ready to grab and roll into an air ambulance to fight my way into the Gold Coast- and if I was lucky- out again.

Probably, she thinks that it was me personally on 9-11 who wrote the cheque for half a million pounds for the rescue workers in NY.

Again, I might be helping kit out temporay homes fot the Tsanami but really, others were with me.

I doubt that Elizabeth Alexandra Mary has me down for a bit of sword on the shoulder lark. I did get an invite from Lizzie Bowes Lyon for a bun fight but that was it.

Matt, be like the rest of us.
Remember there is no such thing as a free meal.

The last miracle came out from the East and I missed it. What are the odds that we will both miss the next one.

Caveat Emptor.

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 02-25-2005).]

Ian B
02-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Matt,

Want some fun? Look at http://www.419baiter.com/ - it's a website for making fun of the scammers. There are several more.

Ian

RPease
02-25-2005, 01:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by topct:
[B]An employee at the accounting office for a county north of me sent $85,000 dollars of county money to Nigeria.
</font>

Anyone that falls for these scams deserves to be parted from their money. [A "fool" and his money are soon parted.]

Come on..........a child would have more sense. I think most of the stories about people succumbing to these tricks are urban legends and pretty much of a "scam" themselves. [JMHO]

Anyone that can read (and hopefully understand) and has used a computer for more than 6 months has probably been exposed to explanations of scams like these and many more. If you can't learn, then you must repeat your mistakes until you do. [In the case of Russian roulette.....you die trying.]

If you open an e-mail attachment from someone you don't know, GUESS WHAT.... you deserve the stinking virus......

Got that off my chest.......thanks.....

Techtchr
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Rpease,
I agree that hopefully most people will have the good sense to avoid these scams and probably most people do, but blaming the victim for what other people are doing is a bit over the top for me. IMHO Nobody deserves to be taken or infected with anything (e-mail virus or other) out of the greed or cruelty of others. Some people just aren't as smart as you are.

By the way, I received 4 more e-mails for the same scam since i originally posted this. I was getting frustrated deleting this crap when I originally posted. The other gripe I have is because of all of this nasty stuff it takes me more time to use my computer, and it is more expensive to use the computer. People affecting my life by the viscious stuff they do just ticks me off.
Matt

Techtchr
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Norm,
My appologies to you and your country for even hinting that these e-mails are comming mostly from the UK. They seem to come from all over. I'm sure many of the scam artists are sending them from the US too. I personally think that most people in the world are honest and hard working. It only takes a few criminals with a computer to make life worse for the rest of us. By the way, what's Priscilla doing e-mailing you? I just got one too. I thought she was a one man kinda Gal http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Barry, I've seen the "send me the balance" e-mails quite frequently. You have to ask yourself why would anyone trust me with 3-4 times the money I am asking for the item I'm selling?

On an up note, I did buy and sell some stuff on the site, and I met some nice people too.
Regards, Matt

ibewgypsie
02-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Perhaps "Willie" Mandella had the right ideal.. Free Africa with thier "matches and necklaces"

What "YOU" probably don't know? A african Necklace is when they put a car tire on you after breaking your arms, tie wire it to you, fill it with gasoline and lite it with the matches. You go running off a public display of "fire in action" (kinda like Micheal Jackson and Richard Pryor)

NOW, Seeing a few of your neighbors done like that'd make you really mind what you were told.

David

tattoomike68
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
It is the same folks who sell penis enhancements.

Your Old Dog
02-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Now we're on a subject I'm not a rookie in!

I'm a TV newsphotographer, one of 23 at the CBS affiliate in Buffalo, NY. I get on average 2-3 web based fraud storys per year. I don't know how many the other guys are getting.

The harm in those who abuse the web is not so much in the damage they have caused, it's in how they block and obstruct the full potential that the world wide web could offer humanity if we didn't have to worry about those jerks. And it's, the web, such an easy target for "bright" people to screw up. Hackers actually say they are doing us all a favor because they are showing us our weaknesses!

My legal suggestion: Screw with the web? 5 years first offense, 20 years second offense and we understand an innocent might be bagged once in awhile in the interest of the rest of the worlds peace. That's the price you pay for civilization,it ain't a perfect world and there ain't nothing fair about it either.

To quote a popular sports broadcaster in this area, "DON'T GET ME STARTED" :d

snowman
02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
lol...

I read tattoomikes comments and then the first couple lines of Your Old Dog's comments right after.

ya learn something new everyday http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-jacob

tattoomike68
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
roflmao yea, I bet I clicked "post" 1 second before he did.

kenc
02-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Trouble is, it's not the likes of you and I that are taken. It's the old folks. I bet if my 82 year old mother didn't have my Dad around she'd be penniless, scammed by every son -of- a b***ch who tried.
Kill them all.

[This message has been edited by kenc (edited 02-25-2005).]

hoffman
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I work part time for a used machinery dealer and they tried the Nigerian deal. The guy that owns the place is slick and cashed the check before shipping. There is a $10,000 cashiers check as a keepsake on his desk http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif The lathe is still safely in the shop...

------------------
Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

RPease
02-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Techtchr,

Your right...and I apologize. I shouldn't lump the virus issue in with the scam thing. They aren't related. Upon rethinking, I agree that no one should have to be subjected to the problems that the virus creators cause. I don't like having to buy virus protection and keep upgrading it to prevent all of that crap from infecting my own system through channels other than opening infected attachments.

Those guys (when and if caught) should be tarred, feathered, flogged, whipped, boiled in oil (all in public) and following that should be procecuted to the maximum extent of the law.

On the scam issue....I still think that most people are smart enough to keep from being cheated by those tricks. While a very few might be so naive and trusting that they can be hoaxed into giving complete strangers money, I think that they are few and far between. [I realize that PT Barnum said (supposedly), "That there's a sucker born every minute". Someone also said, "You can't cheat and honest man". Might have been PT also.]

I feel that some (not all) of those people being cheated are trying to "make a buck" from someone elses (supposed) misfortune. If true, maybe they shouldn't try. It's easy enough for me to ignor.....

Regards........Rodg

BTW.....Sorry I didn't retract my statement earlier......was at work and can't use the web during work hours.

[This message has been edited by RPease (edited 02-25-2005).]

charlie coghill
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
There is a lady in Portland Or. that was not very smart. The guy got $4000 and her merhandize. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gif I will give this to her, she went on TV, with her face in plain view, and explained what not to do.
Charlie

chief
02-27-2005, 05:15 AM
Offroad.com followed this scam, the end result was the buyer sent a forged check.
I have been offered several thousand dollars
for a $12.00 motorcycle part. Do you really expect anyone who can't even spell to be sitting on several million dollars.
Ignore them or send them ridculous emails.
I told the one nigerian that I would be happy to supply all the info he rquested just as soon as he sent me $1000 to open a bank account, establish credit and get a visa card, I'm still waiting.

wierdscience
02-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Haha... the The Hot horny for you Nigerian queen that wants to give away her money that she made selling you her discount RX and diabetic supplies has struck again! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Prison for the first offense?Now way,their first should be their last.

Paul Alciatore
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
A cashier's check is not a guarantee of recieving the money. A certified cashier's check is better. But still not a guarantee.

My advice, go to the bank and cash the check. FIRST.

Paul A.

rsanter
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
I have heard about a few people stung on selling cars and recieveing bad or false certified checks, bank checks, cashiers checks and then the person has the car and the title and the car has been resold before the original guy even knows that the check was bad. the checks were generally drawn on a bank out of the country one one that you have not heard of.
whe I had a car for sale on the internet, I was getting several people emailing me with the scams. I would email them that I will accept the terms as long as the chech is drawn on wells fargo or BofA so I can go cash the check at my local branch.....I never heard from them again

spope14
02-28-2005, 09:36 PM
I hate scammers, spammers, virus spreaders, and those who post "facts" on the web that have no basis on anything but their opinion - facts that are dressed up as actual truths in beautiful web sites - you know the ones I am talking about (not BBS, but like the UFO SURVIVORS PAGE, THE Klan studies on racial equality, you know what I mean....plain old BS). The false truth things are now as bad as the scammers, for as a teacher, I know that any kid can get anything on the web that agrees with any point of view, and dress it up as a "reference" for a term paper.

They are all dangerous, are screwing with the web, and th integrity of what this great tool was actually meant to be.