PDA

View Full Version : Railtown 1897 - old machines

brunneng
02-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Some buddies and I went up the hill to Jamestown, Ca to photograph the old buildings at Railtown 1897. It's a working museum of steam locomotives. They maintain, rebuild and restore the several engines they have including a Shay. In the spring they start running them giving rides to the public.

I took some photos of the machines in the tool shop.

The machine shop really needs to be restored. The machines need some tender loving but they are used. My batteries died so I'll have to get the photos of the large bed planer next time. It has 4 tool clappers. 2 horz and 2 vert (one on each side).

http://photobucket.com/albums/v721/brunneng/

The shop still has much of the original line shaft but it's not running. I still need to get photos of the punch press, drop hammer, ripping saw and planer, and some other tools.

mattc
02-24-2005, 03:40 PM
neat old machines

Matt in AK

egpace
02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks! Great pics, really enjoyed them.
Ed

BillH
02-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Nice, but you forgot to upload the pics of the locomotives!

brunneng
02-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Next trip. I need lights. They're shut up in the shed for the winter. Big black trains, big black roundhouse.

vmil3
02-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Real nice pic's, it's too bad machines can't talk.

------------------
Doug

WilliamH
03-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I was born and raised three miles from Jamestown. My Grandfather had a friend who was the head machinist at the round house. This machinist gave my Grandfather all of his machinist tools in 1959 after he retired. I still have most of the tools. Real neat old stuff.

I remember when the old engines were moving freight between Sonora and Oakdale, California when I was a kid. Watching the steam coming out during the climb to Sonora was awesome!

Thanks for the memories. You should see the photos my family has of the local lumber company trains! Narrow gauge shays with huge logs and lots of cars.

Will

precisionworks
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
If you're ever in central Iowa, you should ride the steam train in Boone:

http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~cwhung/boone.html