PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Off Chrome-lined Bbl.?

flatlander
02-28-2005, 08:36 PM
A friend asked me to shorten the 24" bbl. on the upper receiver he uses on his full-auto M16 lower. He'd like me to cut it back to std. SR length of 20", then turn & thread the muzzle for the flash suppressor. My concern is that I believe this is a chrome-lined barrel, and I'm worried about the chrome plating in the bore flaking/peeling when the tip of a parting tool cuts into the bore. Anyone have any experience, advice, and/or opinions on this matter?

IOWOLF
02-28-2005, 09:10 PM
You are correct, this is not adviseable.The chrome will flake or peel at the muzzel.

andy_b
02-28-2005, 10:59 PM
i agree, i wouldn't cut it. besides, half the fun (and advantage) of the M-16 style rifles is that you can have a whole slew of uppers and swap out whichever one suits your fancy that day. at the very least if your friend doesn't want to spend the $450 or so for a new upper, he could just pick up a new barrel and replace the 24" one. you'll have to do some disassembly anyway to shorten the 24" barrel.

andy b.

flatlander
03-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Another friend suggested I part it off at least 1/8" long in case the chrome lining does chip, then use a fresh, sharp carbide insert to face the new muzzle back to the desired length, working from the bore out during the facing cuts. Sounds reasonable to me.