PDA

View Full Version : Question for Evan or other skywatchers

torker
02-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Hey guys! We've been watching a VERY strange light in the sky for the past two nights. From our location in southeastern BC, it is almost due south of us. It has seemingly "orange" bursts coming off it and it looks like two bright blue strobes coming off it that point in a westerly direction. Any idea what the heck this thing is? Thanks!
Russ
PS...No I havent been smoking anything whacky!!!

jimfun
02-28-2005, 02:25 AM
It's Venus,
It's always Venus or a weather baloon. LOL :-) I have seen strange things in the night sky before and asked astronomy sights on the web and it's always venus. You are pretty far up the northern hemisphere and anything in the southern skys will have a lot of atmospheric distortion. How low in the sky is the thing you are seeing? the lower the more distortion.

torker
02-28-2005, 08:22 AM
jim, it's about a quarter of the way up in the horizon looking south. All I have is binoculars so can't see it very well. It almost looks like a star or something that is perhaps breaking up or something. I've seen a LOT of spaceships, etc. over the years but this isn't one of those http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

IOWOLF
02-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Jim , It could be swamp gas also.

Norman Atkinson
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi Torker!

In a number of postings, I suggested a book called the " Book of Hiram".

Look in Google for " Megalithic Yard"- Lomas and Knight.

You now have Venus- and time to get your bits of string and sticks out to follow the calculations of the ancients

Goldstar.

Lew Hartswick
02-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Just as a matter of intrest (nothing to do with
the current subject except Venus): Since Venus
is between the Earth and the Sun, it never gets
further than about 25 or 30 deg.( I forget the
exact angle ) ahead or behind the Sun. So if
you see something due south and it's Venus it
must also be daytime. :-) Good luck.
...lew...

Evan
02-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Russ,

Does it change position? In particular does it follow the expected apparent motion of the night sky?

torker
03-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Evan...no it doesn't appear to move. I just looked at it at 5:30 AM and it's in the same place as it is at 10:30 at night.

Evan
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
If there are high voltage power lines to the south of you they have a new device to warn pilots of their presence. They hang on the lines and are powered by the electric field of the power lines. They use neon tubing to brightly illuminate them. I don't know what colors they use but orange is a good bet for neon.