PDA

View Full Version : ScReWeD on EbAy using postal money order!

Reuben
02-20-2005, 08:19 AM
ScReWeD on EbAy using postal money order!
I was wondering if anybody on this bbs had this problem and how to resolve it.
I paid for an item (a machinist tool) i won on ebay to a seller and sent a money order. The seller only accepted money orders so i sent him a USPS postal money order thinking it was the safest way to go. I waited and waited... and nothing was sent. i sent emails to the seller with no reply. I decided since i had purchased the money order through the USPS it was protected from fraud- i checked with the PO and i found out i had to fill out a form to do a background check to see if the mo was lost in the mail or cashed- i had to pay another $3 fee to get this done.

so again i waited for over a month to find out if the money order was cashed and recieved a copy of it in the mail- with the guy's signature on the back of the MO!
i emailed the person and finally got in contact with him AFTER letting him know he would be investigated by the usps. He then wanted a copy of the letter so i mailed it to him. I then wait and nothing happens again. I wrote him and the seller says he's checking with the bank to see if he cashed it. Again a week passes with no update.
And i email him again- then he says he can't read the signature and is trying to check on it and that's the last i've heard of him. From that time i've been emailing him (a lot) with no reply.
I checked with the post office and they tell me that he has to fill a form out that before i can get my money back and on top of that there's nothing they can do. Another option for ME (the postmaster general talking) says i can take it to small claims court at my expense. I got confused THINKING a postal money order is protected and the safest way to go.
I've got the guy's email address and his actual address and wondering what i can do next??
Sorry for the rant and the long post though i was wondering what others did and what to do. Some people have no ethics.

chief
02-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Even if you used a cashier's check you would still have a problem, take him to court
and inform him postal fraud is a federal offense.

chief
02-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Also inform ebay and leaving bad feedback.

IOWOLF
02-20-2005, 08:40 AM
None of my biz. but how much was the purchase?
And if you two aren't in the same state S.C.C. is worthless, but you do get all the fees back, here it is $40 to file a claim.

aboard_epsilon
02-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I had a problem ......
A seller cashed my cheque and didnt send the goods .
he stopped answering my emails.
this was over a two month period.
he was about three hundred miles away and thought he was safe from me .
I got intouch with his local police force and they felt his collar and the item was sent to me within two days
hope this helps.
all the best....mark

nheng
02-20-2005, 09:50 AM
You could tell him you have several family members in his area and they will be picking up the merchandise to save on shipping costs, unless he would prefer to ship it by an agreed to date http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

G.A. Ewen
02-20-2005, 09:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
You could tell him you have several family members in his area and they will be picking up the merchandise to save on shipping costs, unless he would prefer to ship it by an agreed to date http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif</font>

Ya and just as insurance send a photo of David and his dog. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

happy02
02-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Report any fraud directly to ebay. This is listed as safe harbor I think. You can even have a chat with one of their techs. on line about the matter. They will notify you of their findings when they do an investigation. Be sure and make an attachment of the postal money order. They may not get your money or tool back but the seller will loose his rite to sell on ebay. JC Hannum may have more input on this matter he's pretty sharp bout this stuff. Hang in there. Joe

Your Old Dog
02-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Don't get into a lot of superflous conversation with the guy.

You paid for item with US Postal Money order thru US Mail. If you have given him a reasonable amount of time to send item or money back and he hasn't then he's at fault. Plain and simple.

I had similiar situation with ebay deal. My last communique with the guy told him of my intent to file fraud charges. I filed my Postal Fraud charge and stated in it that most ebay transactions conclude in 2 weeks or much less. I then asked, in my complaint, how long the Postal Department thinks I should have had to wait. My item was delivered the following week.

I prefer payment via Postal Money Order for that reason. I copy the envelope, money order and any letter attached to it all as evidence. Good Luck.......
Ray.........

shaque
02-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I really like that idea of sending a picture of David and Butch http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif, might just get results, or better yet pictures of him and some buddies sitting on choppers drinking whatever that is that David drinks, with a caption saying we are going to stop in for a friendly visit.
Jim http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

RPease
02-20-2005, 11:24 AM
....They may not get your money or tool back but the seller will loose his rite to sell on ebay....

Yeah....that works every time http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

And all the bad guy (seller) has to do is "re-register" as another member and he's back in business........

Safest thing (that I've found) is to ONLY buy from sellers will 100% positive feedback that (hopefully) consists of multiple (positive) sales. Not a completely reliable method, but works better than dealing with people that have negative feedbacks. [You didn't mention the seller's feedback record. I presume that it was checked and you felt comfortable with it??]

Let us know if EBAY does ANYTHING constructive on this.....Would surprise the hell out of me........They seem to cater to the sellers, not the buyers. (I ran into a seller that decided that he didn't want to contact me so that I could send my payment. My guess was, the sale price was "TOO LOW" and he didn't want to part with item at that price. Multiple contacts to EBAY (by me) trying to solicit help, just raised my blood pressure and was a COMPLETE waste of time. They didn't want to help. Maybe I was just not contacting enough (or the right) people in their HUGE UNCARING organization. Eventually I got tired and quit trying and moved on. Not the same scenario that you experienced, as I only lost time.]

my $.01 worth......

Thrud
02-20-2005, 11:39 AM
File a complaint with the FBI - they are cracking down on ebay fraud right now and have USPS run a hot poeker up his ass (File a complaint with them as well - if the FBI tells you to). The FBI in this guys state might be able to fix your problem with just a phine call as well. If this ass-hat is in Canada file with the RCMP - they also have an internet fraud division.

Ebay don't give a **** - they got paid - so the guy gets banned - a week later he signs up with another name and email address - that REALLY worked...

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 01:49 PM
The most angry I have been at someone on ebay?

Yeah.. it was over some inline skate wheels. I could've bought them local for what I paid for them. The email went back and forth for three months with him telling me he was a Soprano from a "made" family. *after I told him I would be in the area in a week. Only a few stinking dollars, but the principle of the thing upset me. Wife had the same problem over some tupperware. Personally I don wanna eat off used porous plastic.

If it is not a substantial amount, ebay don't care. Don't investigate, don't give a crap.
File a complaint with ebay, File a squaretrade claim, file a complaint with bbb with both ebay and the seller.

With a USPS money order you have the option in several months to get your money back.

David

My picture would do you no good, I been sick. (and tired) Not been in real good times. My photo in just a year showes ten years aging.

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey, come to think of it.. I been married to Carrol for about a year.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif....

Alistair Hosie
02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
That lil gal wearing you out Dave http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
sorry reuben about your bad ebayer threaten to take him to court or phone the police as Mark did the guy was scamming him big time he sorted the bum out in quick time with a phone call to the police.
He got his stuff soon enough when they visited hope it works out for you regards.Alistair

spaceace
02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
can you give me his ebay seller name so i don't try buying from him, and his feedback rating would be nice, since i only purchase from sellers with all positive.

JCHannum
02-20-2005, 03:17 PM
I can't add much advice as to an approach to take here that hasn't been said. I would suggest contacting the local police, or at least letting the "seller" know those are your intentions.

It sounds like 2 or 3 months have elapsed, and that might be too long for eBay to handle it.

To prevent something like this from happening, if sending MO or check, get a delivery confirmation receipt when sending. This is cheap insurance, and gives immediate notice of receipt of payment. Do not be shy in following up on when the purchase is being shipped. If it is taking longer than you think it should, let them know. I think some poor sellers try to drag things out so long, they hope you will give up.

A lot of people do not like PayPal, buy it also can offer some protection in that it is proof of payment that is very hard for the seller to deny.

Don't be afraid to file negative feedback, be truthful and accurate. If he files retaliatory feedback, it will be evident. It is difficult to maintain a 100% rating. Read some feedbacks to determine if there are recurring delivery or junk problems, or if they are just from the occasional jerks before deciding to bid or not.

bikenut
02-20-2005, 04:11 PM
You could send a large angry man to have a personal chat with this person.

Tinkerer
02-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I feel for you... I'm having some issues with some endmills I "WON" paid for and did not recieve. I did payment thru paypal... and they did make a full refund.

As for ebay.. here's a snipit from my on going repor with them over this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">(THEM) You have also raised some concerns with regard to our policies on
suspending members. We use a number of different factors to determine
when it is appropriate to suspend a member, including feedback, Coach
complaints filed through our dispute forum, reports from law enforcement
and a number of other factors. We have recently changed our policies in
this regard to include new types of restrictions that are taken in these
cases. Such restrictions are an alternative to outright suspensions,
and may include penalties that are not available for all members to see,
such as restrictions to buying and selling privileges. We feel that in
some cases it is important to coach our members in this way instead of
suspending them outright, as this will encourage them to conduct
themselves in a more professional manner and to patch up past
grievances. </font>

Part of my reply:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> And If ebay what's to " Coach Bad Seller's " fine pay for their mistake and coach away. Add a seller premium to Coached Seller's listing fee's until restitutions been paid back to ebay. That's a lesson they'll remember. You Know why... BECAUSE THEY WOULD OF PAID FOR IT.

I understand policies but when you/ebay violates them and let other's do the same... It's just a bunch of words that don't mean JACK.</font>

Yep seller had 100% feedback now at 87% and going down. File a fraud notice with ebay. Leave a - feedback. Do file with all LEA's( Law Enforcement Agency's) that you can and fallow up with them.

Tim

Smokedaddy
02-20-2005, 07:09 PM
My turn,

I would write up something that is very clear and accurately describes the incident. Do not lie or exaggerate the situation! Just the facts and not the ”he said … she said”, drivel. Setup a webpage if you have the abilities or use something real simple like Pbase or Photobucket etc.. Then scan or screen-capture the document you wrote and place in on the site. When you leave negative feedback, put the link in the feedback character field. For example, something like this (with the proper linking information of course):

See incident details at http://www.pbase.com/smokedaddy/image/23653520

Just don’t go over the character limits eBay allows in the feedback field. Of course -YOU- would link directly to YOUR document. That way any interested party would be able to clearly read it on the screen once there. Just as you can view the image at the link I provided here.

Follow the advice others have given here too. Meaning file a complaint with eBay, the Post Office, FBI and so forth. If folks like you don't proceed with an action to stop things like this, then these idiots will continue to breed.

-SD:

[This message has been edited by Smokedaddy (edited 02-20-2005).]

crewchief
02-20-2005, 07:22 PM
reuben i know two people who have been dudded on ebay they sold thousends of dollars of computer equipment and were
paid with stolen credit cards,the police and ebay, say theres nothing that can be done.thats why i would never use it,if something goes wrong theres nothing you can do
cc

wierdscience
02-20-2005, 11:32 PM
The way I see it there is no way to prevent a person who has been booted off Ebay from coming back,all they need do is re-register with a different e-mail and credit card.

Credit cards is how these things should be settled,the person who screws should have thier card charged for the amount involved.

But,the world isn't perfect and many times it is impposible to tell who is lying.I have noticed that the folks selling electronics lie the most,that's why I refuse to buy electronics off Ebay.You get a better deal at Best Buy or Circuit city.

The ONLY reason Ebay works at all are the 90-95% of the people on there who are basically honest,the other 5-10% ruin it for the rest,they should burn in hell.

I always though postal money orders were safe,guess not,one more thing the government is screwing us on.

ibewgypsie
02-20-2005, 11:58 PM
The month Ebay charged me and countless others twice ebay fees in one month.. I had to prove they got money out of my account twice.

I reported them to the local police department out there, the Better business bureau and canceled out my ebay account, changed the access password to the bank account and still liked to have had a coronary.

It has not happened again.

Ebay is a business, not your friend, not a auction company but a business to make as much money as possible for doing as little as possible.

precisionworks
02-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Have I lost $$$ - yes. Have buyers lied, backed out, withdrawn - yes. Do I still buy/sell on eBay - yes. Why??? Inexpensive way to get your "for sale" items in front of hundreds of potential buyers. Easy way to buy shop supplies & tooling for pennies on the dollar. If I live to 100, I will never be able to lose the amount of $$$ that eBay has saved me.

madman
02-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I had EBay charge me TWICE for a fee that I had paid. They are a bunch of crooked Bastards. Thanx They really suck. My friend has bought stuff from e bay and I suspect most of the items he bought are or had been stolen. Caddy hood ornaments. I notice there are sure a bunch of them missing off caddys I see driving down the road. I feel better now that I vented but e bay sucks.

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Reuben:
ScReWeD on EbAy using postal money order!
I was wondering if anybody on this bbs had this problem and how to resolve it.
I paid for an item (a machinist tool) i won on ebay to a seller and sent a money order. The seller only accepted money orders so i sent him a USPS postal money order thinking it was the safest way to go. I waited and waited... and nothing was sent. i sent emails to the seller with no reply. I decided since i had purchased the money order through the USPS it was protected from fraud- i checked with the PO and i found out i had to fill out a form to do a background check to see if the mo was lost in the mail or cashed- i had to pay another $3 fee to get this done.

so again i waited for over a month to find out if the money order was cashed and recieved a copy of it in the mail- with the guy's signature on the back of the MO!
i emailed the person and finally got in contact with him AFTER letting him know he would be investigated by the usps. He then wanted a copy of the letter so i mailed it to him. I then wait and nothing happens again. I wrote him and the seller says he's checking with the bank to see if he cashed it. Again a week passes with no update.
And i email him again- then he says he can't read the signature and is trying to check on it and that's the last i've heard of him. From that time i've been emailing him (a lot) with no reply.
I checked with the post office and they tell me that he has to fill a form out that before i can get my money back and on top of that there's nothing they can do. Another option for ME (the postmaster general talking) says i can take it to small claims court at my expense. I got confused THINKING a postal money order is protected and the safest way to go.
I've got the guy's email address and his actual address and wondering what i can do next??
Sorry for the rant and the long post though i was wondering what others did and what to do. Some people have no ethics.</font>

Reuben,

First, make sure this person did cash your money order (I.E: someone else might have obtained it and was able to cash it). Call the bank where the money order was cashed and ask them to investigage the signature.

If you're sure this person did take your money and has no intention of sending you what you paid for, then post all of the information you have about this person here (Full name, Email address, Ebay userID, mailing address, any phone numbers, etc.) and you should see some great results in a few days http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

-3Ph

reggie_obe
02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Had a similar problem. Won 4 1-2-3 blocks, U.S. made and about 10 pairs of parallels for about $12. Seller only accept U.S.P.S. money orders. The seller shipped me a cardboard box full of plastic bags and old newpapers for $18 in postage. When contacted he claims that the box bearing his return address isn't his, as he hasn't shipped my stuff yet. Then claims someone in my company switched boxes, on and on and on. Square Trade, Ebay complaint department, nothing happens. He stops selling under name one, starts cheating people under name two. My policy now is: If I don't personally know you, and you only accept money orders and I CAN NOT pick the item up, you can shove you stuff up your rear orifice.

Milacron of PM
02-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I've had good luck making deadbeats ship items by Googling their name/address and conjuring up family members and contacting them !

Paid a gal for some ball bearings once, a week goes by, another week goes by.. she stopped answering my emails. So I did a search and found a newpaper reference to a funeral of her grandmom, which had a nice list of the "surviving family members". Further Googling with this newfound info revealed her dad's address and phone number. Called him up, and she responded the next day http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Got the doofus that sold me a forklift with way bent forks to finally compensate me, (after 4 months !) by hinting that I was going to contact his wife, mother, dad, uncle, aunt..on down the line...told him they might be interested in the emails he sent months earlier where he promised to send the money.

He sends back this super mad email and how he's gonna send my stinkin money, etc. Check came in a few days.

Have to admit I enjoy making folks that are totally FOS finally have to pay up http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

3 Phase Lightbulb
02-22-2005, 12:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D. Thomas:
I've had good luck making deadbeats ship items by Googling their name/address and conjuring up family members and contacting them !

Paid a gal for some ball bearings once, a week goes by, another week goes by.. she stopped answering my emails. So I did a search and found a newpaper reference to a funeral of her grandmom, which had a nice list of the "surviving family members". Further Googling with this newfound info revealed her dad's address and phone number. Called him up, and she responded the next day http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Got the doofus that sold me a forklift with way bent forks to finally compensate me, (after 4 months !) by hinting that I was going to contact his wife, mother, dad, uncle, aunt..on down the line...told him they might be interested in the emails he sent months earlier where he promised to send the money.

He sends back this super mad email and how he's gonna send my stinkin money, etc. Check came in a few days.

Have to admit I enjoy making folks that are totally FOS finally have to pay up http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

I've found that the few deadbeats I've had experiences with are not very smart. Obtaining their senstive information and passwords wasn't very difficult.

-3Ph

Reuben
02-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the great comments and suggestions how to deal with this. I went ahead and sent the seller an email that i was filing a mail fraud charge with the USPS last night . After sending 15 emails over the course of 2 weeks i get a reply today.
Here it is:

i dont know what you want from me,
johnb

That's it! That's all that he had to say. Anyway i filed the fraud charge last night with the USPS.

Some things i've found out.
1. Ebay doesn't care about the situation since much time has elapsed. They made their money and refuse to get involved and always want to refer me to have a direct communication with the seller. (so much for that since the seller doesn't reply back anyway)
2. Ebay warning the seller doesn't solve anything - you're still out of the item or money.
3. I wish i could leave feedback but the time elapsed-my fault for trying to be patient and work it out.
4. It is true most of us give up trying to resove matter of mail fraud though i think these people have to be taught a lesson. If they think they can get away all the time eventually we all get screwed. ( i know it isn't a perfect world)
5. i'll post his name and info as soon as i get word of the situation with usps since monday was a holiday.

chief
02-22-2005, 06:28 AM
When this loser sells again you can email the bidders and tell them he is a scam artist.

madman
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
E BAY SUCKS I HOPE ONE DAY THEY GO BROKE BUT I DOUBT IT TOO MANY CHEAP BASTARDS ON OUR PLANET ME INCLUDED0

madman
E BAY SUCKS I HOPE ONE DAY THEY GO BROKE BUT I DOUBT IT TOO MANY CHEAP BASTARDS ON OUR PLANET ME INCLUDED0

3 Phase Lightbulb
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
When this loser sells again you can email the bidders and tell them he is a scam artist.</font>

Or you can bid on his open auctions and wait for him to keep asking you to pay http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-3Ph

andy_b
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
i'm with 3ph. get yourself a second ebay account under a different name and keep bidding on all the seller's auctions and never pay. or tell him you'll pay with a MO and just mail an IOU to him (don't include your real address, of course).

andy b.

Sprague M
02-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Give us a name and I'll bid against you,

No seriously, I've had it with some of the sellers.

Matt

Duct Taper
02-22-2005, 05:59 PM
My story: I bought a trailer hitch actuator and when I got it the master cylinder was rusted tight. After several emails the seller agreed to a refund and had me send it to him COD. He refused delivery and it was returned to me. He said send it again COD. He refused delivery again and did not reply to emails. I contacted Ebay and they said "mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble..."

I am out $122 on a $46 piece of junk. He got a negative feedback. Whoopee. His name is Charles Layton of Gray Beard Marine in St. Petersburg, Florida in case anybody else wants to buy from him and see if they get a good transaction, then I will know it must have been my fault.... I certainly wouldn't want to besmirch his name or business.

I am getting so I will not bid on anything large if it isn't close enough so I can pick it up and pay at that time in cash and only then if it looks OK.

Reuben
02-23-2005, 07:14 AM
Well no word from USPS about the situation- i thought they would at least let me know they got the fraud filing request. As of yesterday no word from the seller. I think from the last email i got he's has no intention to follow through.
Here's my email replies from him by date:

1-8-05

hello,
i never received payment for this item,i figured you didn't want the item so i just never really pursued it,if you still want the item send payment and i will ship it asap,if not i will understand,
johnb

* after telling him i had done a postal inquiry - it must have surprised him so he said he would check with his bank after getting a copy of it.

1-28
still trying to figure this out??cant read the signature,
jb

* after i asked him about the status of the situation.

2-21
i dont know what you want from me,
johnb

* After sending an email that i was filing a USPS mail fraud form.

I've been checking on his seller status and he hasn't put anything up - i'm just waiting.

Its amazing how impersonal Ebay has become. They don't respond right away and replies are robot talk that don't really help you. If you have a complaint or want to report a deadbeat bidder you have to navigate though their site which they make complicated so you give up. They're a multi- million dollar company making millions of dollars a day. The last i heard if it was correct- they would make close to 2 million a day in commissions & listing fees.

Duct Taper
02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
The only thing I have received satisfaction from with eBay is on a complaint of unreasonable shipping charges. They immediately (same day) informed me that they thought the shipping was unreasonable too, cancelled the auction, and said I did not have to go through with sending the seller any money.

Unfortunately it made the whole transaction disappear and I could not file negative feedback. And the seller had lots of other auctions with the same problem that eBay did not touch.

Reuben, if there is a way to get the money back from the USPS due to a stolen money order that is probably the only way to get out of this deal but it will take the cooperation of the seller to accomplish that, with him making a statement that he never got the money order.

Reuben
02-24-2005, 07:59 AM
It seems the only way i can get a refund for the money order from the USPS would be to have the seller
(Johnathan B Belgrade;
ebay ID:mathewshooter2)
fill out a form which states that he never received the payment. (looking at his replies - it doesn't seem so).

I just wish i was in:
1130 Central Ave.
Johnston, RI 02919

where i could pay him a visit.
Otherwise i can only try to email him at:
mathewshooter2@aol.com

Well I'll keep checking with the usps fraud filing and hope for some resolution.

chipeater
02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Send him this and tell him that you'll be stopping by to pick up your items

http://www.visionappraisal.com/photos/JohnstonRIphotos//00/00/06/47.jpg

[This message has been edited by chipeater (edited 02-24-2005).]

charlie coghill
02-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Reuben post his e-mail and every one copy the pic of the house with a message asking if he would be interested in selling it on E-bay. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Than again there might be something illegal about doing that.

Reuben
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey Chipeater is that what i think it is?
That's great! I think i'll email him again and see if it changes his mind. I'll do that later today and hope it resolves this situation. Thanks a looooot!!!!

precisionworks
02-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Heck, that looks like a real nice house, so I sent the following email just now:

Understand your house is for sale. What is the asking price. Just to be sure, is it located at 1130 Central Ave., Johnston, RI 02919?

Never know, price might be good. And I always like to make new friends.

kevinro
02-25-2005, 09:23 PM
The harsh reality of this whole thing is that some people are real jerks. I have a personal policy:

1) Never buy mail order with anything but VISA or Paypal.

This really isn't particularly an EBAY issue. They have a mechanism for safeguarding against this sort of thing. If you used PayPal, they would have something to help with. However, sending money outside their control is, well, outside of their control.

EBAY is merely a listing service. They have a little more control than a newspapers classified ads, but not a whole lot more.

I have had the exact same problem in the past purchasing things mail order. Hence my personal policy of never sending cash, check, or money order. You have nearly no recourse once the crook has your cash.

Kevin

IOWOLF
02-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I gotta know how you did that, did you go to the assesors web page?

Reuben
02-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Well.. i just emailed the seller :Johnathan
that i'll be coming by soon to pick up the item. I'll post what his reply is- if he does.

On the topic of money orders: i checked with the post office today to see what i can do. He said once the money order is cashed its out of their hands. It would be the matter of verifying the signature with the person (fat chance of that considering the response recieved from him). The problem has to be resolved between the 2 parties and i would have to file a lawsuit with the small claims court.
Huh? and to think i thought getting a usps postal order is safer- BeWaRe its not!

Also in the discussion about the money orders- i was enlightened to find out:

if the seller claims he didn't recieve the payment and it was never cashed the postal service will issue another money order out for the same amount that you had paid. Then they charge you
(the original payment) again! I was a bit puzzled????
Isn't that double charging you for making the money order? So you eventually pay double the amount for making a 2nd payment. Sounds a little strange to me.

* *so it doesn't make a difference if you get a postal money order or a money order you get a 7 eleven- you'll still get screwed.

Hey i did hear there was a house for sale and its a deal! email him to find out!!

These CROOKS know how to work the system!

chipeater
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
I gotta know how you did that, did you go to the assesors web page?</font>

Yeah, it's from the Johnston, RI assessor's database (via the web)

precisionworks
03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
He never answered my inquiry about selling his home, so it's not surprising he didn't respond to questions about his items.

If more people would email & ask about his house, he might learn to respond.....................................