PDA

View Full Version : Info on B&S surface grinder?

Doc Nickel
02-28-2005, 12:57 AM
That fellow with the Southbend also has a Browne & Sharp surface grinder for sale. Don't know how much yet, but here's what (little) he told me about it:

"Model 2L 6x18 with mag chuck. 1 hp, single phase, oiling system has been converted to an electric system. new motor starter "

Is 6X18" the table size or the table stroke?

Is this a good machine? How hard are parts to get? Will it hold a good accuracy? (Generally speaking as a model, not necessarily this one in particular.) And any other info that might be useful.

What's a rough idea of what it's worth in good condition?

Thanks.
Doc.

andy_b
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Doc,

how did you find out it is single phase? the reason i ask is i have a similar model surface grinder (Model 2-something from 1930s or so) and the Excello motor only has three leads. on mine the mag chuck is 6x18, but the table has a bit more movement than that. i have never fired mine up as i have no idea how to wire the motor (well, and i have 500 other projects going on).

andy b.

cncboss6
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi, I ran a b&s 618 micromaster in the toolroom. 6 is the cross travel and 18 is the stroke. It should go beyond that some what. The chuck should measure 6"x18" Is it hydraulic feed on the crossfeed and stroke or manual. If it is a micromaster, it is hydraulic. Mice machine, I am looking for 1 for my home shop by this summer. Pat

cncboss6
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry for the bad spelling, this machine will hold a .0001 or 2 if it is in good shape. It is 1 nice machine. Pat

Doc Nickel
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys.

Anyone have a good ballpark idea for what it's worth?

Or, perhaps more accurately, what would a non-insane, near-broke fellow that isn't entirely sure he even needs a surface grinder pay as a fari market value for such a tool? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Doc.

precisionworks
03-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Doc,

Ya gotta have a surface grinder (good thing to tell your wife). Here are two recently ended auctions. The first machine looks clean but got no bids at $850:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45021&item=3875535813&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Next machine is a beater with no bids at $650:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45021&item=3874860049&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Condition, condition, condition..............................

lklb
03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Doc-- I believe B+S model 2 came in 2 different styles Model L = auto feed.
Early models (1920s>1940 ?)had belt drive and solid ,not ball -spindle bearings. Later they came with direct drive spindle set ups. Some I have seen were replaced with Pope spindle set ups= good If not worn out. Parts? Forget about it . Make them or buy a spare machine. I think they stopped making this model in 1950s.
Around here (Connecticut) theses go for about $200. I know a guy who has a like new example of an early belt drive- he redid the spindle, scraped the ways+ fitted rulon to the table,All new screws, balanced the motor + spindle assemblys,built a coolant system with plexiglass splash box
on table +1 axis dro. He say total outlay for machine +all that stuff was $500.
That grinder is smooth and does real nice finishes -a bargain for a machine that will last another 75 years.If you do the same for the one you buy you WONT be sorry.
Good luck,LK

Michael Az
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Pat, just so you will know, I have a 618 Micromaster that is manual, no hydraulic feed. They made them both ways. Wish mine were hydraulic but sometimes you buy what you find when you live where the pickins are slim! should be a nice machine when I get it running, it is three phase and I am using a vfd for a phase converter.
Michael