PDA

View Full Version : Taper attachment

madman
02-27-2005, 09:35 PM
I was using my taper attachment tonight machining a part for a good friend. I noticed that as I was near the end of the taper capacity the crossfeed handle was a bear to turn. It was really tight. What gives is this normal when i moved the attachment back to around 1 degree the crossfeed handle got easier to turn, I havent used this taper feature too much but its neat, Thanx Madman

x39
02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
I may be mistaken, but aren't the cross feed screw and nut supposed to be disengaged when using the taper attachment, with feed being accomplished with the compound?

kap pullen
02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
x39
Don't know what the compound has to do with the taper attachment.

Madman
Have to be there to see what you're doing.
There's about a dozen kinds of taper attachments with different directions.
Most lathes come with a instruction plate or manual.

kap

[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 02-27-2005).]

J Tiers
02-27-2005, 11:45 PM
If you do have the telescopic type crossfeed, could it have run out of travel?

Could it just be dirty as heck and jamming on grunge as it tries to extend or telescope back?

Did you unlock /lock the correct nuts to allow the crosslide to follow correctly?

Is the TA the right one for the machine?

What type machine is it?

P.S.
Kap: if the crossfeed ISN'T telescopic, the crossfeed won't be engaged, and adjustment or infeed has to be made with the compound. The ones you use won't have that problem.....the rest of us have simple machines that may not have telescopic crossfeeds.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-27-2005).]

kap pullen
02-28-2005, 06:35 AM
j tiers,

I never saw one like you are talking about.
I'm just used to the industrial machinery.
Guess I'm just spoilt.

Sorry x39.

Madman,

We don't know what kind of machine you're working on? What kind of taper attachment?

It may be gummed up, bottomed out, or otherwise jammed up.

You may not have loosened up the feed screw locking mechanism.

There are any number of problems that we can't see from where we sit.

Your keen observation and troubleshooting ability will be the best solution unless you have a machinist neighbor.

A report of the solution may help others with similar equipment.

kap

J Tiers
02-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Kap...

Here is a page from the Logan website....shows/mentions both types.

Atlas I don't think ever offered a telescopic type, SouthBend had it on some and not on others among the smaller machines.

http://www.lathe.com/taper_attach.htm

madman
03-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I own a cincinatti toolroom lathe. Its old but nice. Its a 15 inch by 42 inch size. I was cutting a taper at near the maximumn (6.5 degrees)it could do but it was so stiff it scared me. I thought something would break.

madman
03-01-2005, 01:16 PM
On my model you dont disengage crossnut. It has a nut at the very end of the slide that always must be loose the previous owner told me. I hope I can get this figured out. Thanx.

kap pullen
03-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Madman,

Your slide may be worn in the middle and tight at the ends. You may have chips or some other obstruction in the way of the cross slide, or taper slide.

I don't have, or have not run a Cinncinatti Toolroom lathe with taper attachment.

At one time I had a Cinncinatti Tray top that was a nice machine.

Most lathes (that I am familiar with) need the tapered slide locked to the bed, and screw disconnected to operate the taper attachment.

The former owner may be incorrect.

J tiers,

I take your word for it.

Don't have a Logan, or Atlas at this moment.

Neither the Logan (Powercraft) or the Atlas 10" or the Atlas (Craftsman) 6" I had in the past had taper attachments.

The Pratt and Whitney, and Monarch I now have, do have taper. The Monarch and American I did have, and various lathes I have run have had them.

Never saw one depending on the compound for depth of cut. I do not think that madmans is set up that way either.

Cinncinatti did not cut corners.

There is an exception to every statement.

Kap

J Tiers
03-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Nope, Cinci would have the telescopic type crosslide screw. Sounds like that is no problem.

Maybe just 30 years (guessing) of dried-up coolant and gum?

Maybe time to take apart and clean up that area.

Hmmm....Just thought of this.....

Is it possible that the taper setting just took the crosslide into an area where it may bind up due to wear?

If I crank mine in too far, it is much tighter, because it has more wear farther out, and if set up right for there, it is too tight in the un-worn areas.

That could be checked by cranking the crosslide in and out without the taper attachment engaged.

x39
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kap pullen:
Never saw one depending on the compound for depth of cut. I do not think that madmans is set up that way either.
</font>

From "How To Run A Lathe", published by South Bend Lathe, P.62, on Plain Taper Attachments:
"when the plain taper attachment is to be used it is necessary to disconnect the cross feed screw by removing the bolt which locks the cross feed nut to the compound rest base of the lathe. This leaves the compound rest base free to slide so that it may be controlled by the taper attachment."

From "Machine Tool Practices" by Kibbe, Neeley, Meyer, and White:
"The cross feed binding screw must be removed to free the nut when the plain type is set up. The depth of cut must then be made by using the compound feed screw handle."

From "Machine Tool Operation", by Bughardt, Axelrod, and Anderson:
"Taper Attachments...Types of connections....
Yoke... the disadvantage is that the crossfeed cannot be used for additional depths of cuts. In most cases, however, the compound-rest feed may be used."

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 03-01-2005).]

kap pullen
03-02-2005, 09:37 AM
X39,

I just did a search on taper attachments.

It apears that some Logan attachments were built as you say.

kap

[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 03-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 03-02-2005).]

Allan Waterfall
03-02-2005, 09:44 AM
On my Myford I have to use a yoke fastened to the end of the cross slide,the cross slide feedscrew is removed and all cuts have to be put on with the compound.

It's about the only time I use my compound as I prefer a solid toolpost bolted to the cross slide for rigidity.

Allan

kap pullen
03-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Sorry guys,

Mostly what I'm involved with is industrial equipment that dosen't always fit in here.

It goes to my head.

I don't mean to knock your Logans, and Myfords. They are big investments in the household budgets and something to be proud of.

I've been lucky at times to not have constraints (single) in buying machinery and the space to put it in.

I'm also lucky to have a job I enjoy at work, and at home.

I'm also lucky to have guys, and wife, to straighten me out at times, when needed. Enjoy this one!

kap