PDA

View Full Version : OT-Computer Question

Arbo
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Please forgive the off topic, but I know there are several really smart computer people here. I suppose there is an easy way, but I cant figure it out...How do I scan a document, and save it as a PDF, so it can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Thanks in advance!

Ted Coffey
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Lookup PDF995 web site. http://www.pdf995.com/ They have a free program pdf995. In a text editor like Word you can insert the scanned images into a document and then "print" the document to PDF995 instead of a printer and thereby save the documment as a PDF file.

hammerhead74000
03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Um, Mac or Windows?

Oh, and what version (OS 9, OS X Jaguar, Panther, 95, 2000, XP, etc)

[This message has been edited by hammerhead74000 (edited 03-02-2005).]

tattoomike68
03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
PDF=POS+/-IMHO

.PDF BLOWS...(THE CRASH MASTER)

USE .DOC .TXT. HTM, .HTML.....

(I dont click pdf links, they crash me. P4 2.4 gz winxp home, blah ,blah ....)

Arbo
03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Windows XP...sorry

darryl
03-02-2005, 09:34 PM
I never did understand why pdf has survived. I hate it. It's slow, full of user pissoffs, and yes, it does crash my computer sometimes. If I think to, I will eliminate pdf from any internet searches I do. Even if I've been searching awhile for results, I'll pass if the result that would normally have looked promising is in pdf format. Some things need to be killed, and that one is at the top of my list. MHO, of course.

CCWKen
03-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I've used PDF's since Win95 and have never had a crash because of it. Just about every document on Earth is available in PDF format. There's got to be another reason for YOUR system problems. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

... Maybe your selection of tweeks?

egpace
03-02-2005, 09:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arbo:
Please forgive the off topic, but I know there are several really smart computer people here. I suppose there is an easy way, but I cant figure it out...How do I scan a document, and save it as a PDF, so it can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader?

Thanks in advance!</font>

You need to turn your scanned doc into a post script file (Don't ask me how) and you need Acrobat Distiller (It's not a freebie)installed on your machine. When you double click on your post script file, Acrobat Distiller is launched and converts the file to pdf.(You may have to use "open with")

Post script files, end with an extension ".ps". I've fooled my computer into thinking I have a post script printer by adding a one at the Windows Control Panel. When I go to print, I select the "invisible" printer and the "print to file" option. This gives me the file to convert.

There's probably other ways to do it, I just did it by trial and error.

Good luck,
Ed

CCWKen
03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
You don't need any of the Adobe software to create a pdf file. There's a couple of utilities out there that do it. The one metioned above has a drawback though. It shoves an ad in your face everytime you use it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All three products are available as FREE downloads. The free versions display a sponsor page in your web browser each time you run the software. If you would prefer not to see sponsor pages, you may upgrade by obtaining individual keys for each product at any time for $9.95 each. A suite key sold for all three products is also available for $19.95. Purchasing also entitles you to email support by software engineers (12-hour response time). </font>

hammerhead74000
03-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Or, if this is a one time deal, you could send the scans to someone (ahem http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif ) who has an OS that can do this without any difficulty whatsoever...

I can be reached at hammerhead74000 at yahoo dot com. Probbably take me all of 30 seconds if the number of pages isn't to many.

Oh, yeah - I'll need to know if the target is on-screen, or for printing.

[This message has been edited by hammerhead74000 (edited 03-02-2005).]

.RC.
03-03-2005, 12:14 AM
If you have Adobe photo elements or photoshop it will convert a pic into .pdf...

I also wonder why pdf has survived so long without much of an upgrade....pdf files are massive and of poor quality usually....I have used .djvu http://www.djvuzone.org/ and found it way superior...document size is at least a third (usually way more) less in size for the same resolution..

Evan
03-03-2005, 01:27 AM
I hate .pdf files. It is the best way I know to turn an ADSL connection into a dial-up. Also, scrolling, zooming and generally getting around just plain suck.

hammerhead74000
03-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Those of you who hate PDF's - I think that's because unless the people who create them know what they are doing, it's very easy to create some seriously mangled files (I know some people who work for a large company whose primary job is to create PDFs for use as forms - it's a task that actually does demand some expertiese in the subject). I often see PDFs on various websites (sometimes from people that have professional webmasters, that really should know better) with print-resolution graphics yet are intended for on-screen viewing, and with poorly formed document structure. Another web-boo-boo is streaming the PDF directly off of the server; this only really works OK when the server and client are both on the same LAN; and a 100baseT connection is kinda required for good performance. Something to remember - most PDFs are created from PostScript code, and the resultant PDF is only going to be as good as the source PostScript (garbage in, garbage out); and I've seen just as much bad HTML as I have seen bad PDFs - perhaps more.

Ringer - the PDF spec has been upgraded several times. and it does support compression - if you use a quality PDF generation program. It's purpose is to be a portable, cross platform document format, with stable presentation (unlike HTML, which, while portable, varies from browser to browser). And to top it off - it's aggressivly marketed by a huge corperation - Adobe.

However, properly set up, you should not be experiencing any crashes, slow downloads, or slow viewing - but if you are, the usual remidies apply:
1) Clean Registry.
2) Latest stable version of Adobe Reader.
3) No DLL Conflicts
4) Clean Prefrence/Setup/.INI Files
5) You are running a stable OS, right? (2000, XP for those stuck with Micro$oft, Jaguar, Panther, or the latest stable build of your favorite Linux for the rest of us)
6) Quality Hardware. (I've had machines that would boot OK, but would crash when doing a particullar thing - swap the RAM, sometimes a card or motherboard, for new, and the problem went away, without any software changes)

Evan
03-03-2005, 03:41 AM
It is possible to create a clean and lean pdf file. That does not describe the majority of pdf files on the net. And, Acrobat Reader still sucks. Why can't I zoom in and out with the scroll wheel? Why doesn't the search function remember the last used search term? Why doesn't it use progressive rendering when scrolling so it doesn't pause forever when a heavy graphic comes up? Why won't it smooth scroll between pages?

hammerhead74000
03-03-2005, 04:21 AM
&gt;&gt; That does not describe the majority of pdf files on the net.

I hear ya' -- if it's not a majority, then it's definitely a sizable fraction.

&gt;&gt; Why can't I zoom in and out with the scroll wheel?
&gt;&gt; Why doesn't the search function remember the last used search term?
&gt;&gt; Why doesn't it use progressive rendering when scrolling so it doesn't pause forever when a heavy graphic comes up?

Mine does - Mac OS 10.3.8, Adobe Reader 6.0.

&gt;&gt; Why won't it smooth scroll between pages?

That's the only thing it won't do - and for some reason, Preview (the PDF/Image viewer that comes with the OS) doesn't either - but I thought that Preview was going direct to the OS for the PDF rendering (i.e., Quartz Extreme) yet everything else I've got on here that uses Quartz does smooth scroll just fine? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif