PDA

View Full Version : TIG and nearby electronics?

Doc Nickel
03-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I'll be getting a new TIG box here shortly, and I'm wondering if there's any potential issues with the hi-freq on nearby computers or networks.

I have a small, cheap desktop PC in the shop, it's mainly an MP3 player and a 'mail/office box, and it's networked with the (seperate building) house systems.

Am I going to kill, or damage, either the computer, the hard drive or anything else with nearby hi-frequency welding? Usually the welding is done in the other room- a wall and 30 feet from the PC- but I have a project near the mill right now, which is within an armspan of the computer.

Doc.

aboard_epsilon
03-03-2005, 06:51 AM
my tig has not effected my pc.
only my alarm system......the HF (high frequency) gets to it thru the neutral line i think
and crashes the alarm .......and the only way to reset it is to disconect from the mains and disconect the battery.......all the time the alarms going off whilst your doing this.
will have to work something out with this like an isolater for the alarm whilst I'm welding.
funny thing is my plasma cutter does not cause this ..and it has HF.
all the best ...mark

Your Old Dog
03-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Doc, I can't speak to the RF issue but I can the AC noise on the line. I had that trouble with my Lincoln Stick and a Miller Mig. I put a UPS bought from Office Max for $59.00 and it cleaned everything up. It even has software that reports the dirty power to me when I come back to the compter. Mine will run my machine for 10 minutes if we have a power outage.

As for your feeble attempt at your question, I'd be surprised if the frequency was high enough to be a problelm and, if it were, it would likely need to be FCC Type Accepted anyway.

Ray............

Your Old Dog
03-03-2005, 06:55 AM
aboard_epsilon, Depending on your specific alarm system configuration, I bet a $59.00 UPS would solve your alarm problem http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

#66B
03-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I have a 300 amp Cyber-Tig (Hobart) they reccomended a seperate ground from the machine to (2) 8' rods 5' apart outside, & all wiring inside conduit in the room where the welding is going on, I thought (right). after replacing everybulb (48") shop lights within 6 months, I thought somethings up here, so put ground in & conduit on any wiring exposed to welding area, & everthings fine here, those guys that write the books are smart!!! Have computer in machine area ( 30') away, doesn't bother it, brought it up to shop after conduit & ground rods! So read the book carefully, it can save in the end.

dsergison
03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
my ta185 is about 8'-10' from my computer, tv stereo etc.... they are upstairs and it is directly below. I have had no problems. it does cause some static on the tv.

suprdvn
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
We have a CNC right on the other side of a cinder block wall from a Tig welder.

While running a program off the computer to the CNC control we have to turn the High Frequency Start switch to off. So obviously no aluminum welding during that time either.

mochinist
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Our tig at work screw with the phone lines, but pretty much everything screws with our crappy phone lines. We couldn't even get DSL because the sigmal was too weak or some B.S.

psomero
03-03-2005, 11:49 PM
i was doing some aluminum and i'm pretty sure the AC was causing my dsl modem to disconnect repeatedly, but the phone box is like four feet away from the welder on the other side of the wall...

i'm going to have to look into the grounding thing with those flourescent lights though. i have 4 two tube 48" fixtures in my garage and oddly, the one further away from the tig box keeps killing tubes like nobody's business. we replaced the quality american made wound copper ballast fixture with some solid state chinese garbage last week and the piece of crap is louder than my washing machine. i didn't know light fixturess could possibly be so damn loud.

CCWKen
03-04-2005, 12:08 AM
You don't need TIG to make dirty power in the shop. Just about any machine that turns on and off will affect the line. Even your neighbor's machines. It's best to run PCs on a UPS that has heavy duty filtering.

Dr. Rob
03-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Had a customer with a myoelectric prosthetic arm. The welder (anything with a strong electric field, really) made the arm breakdance all over the place.

rbjscott
03-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Follow the wiring directions; grounding and earth ground. HF can go a lot of places. At work we do a very careful job with grounding.