PDA

View Full Version : gah, stupid chinese milling machine

psomero
03-05-2005, 08:01 PM
my milling machine (http://www.industrialhobbies.com/Products/square_column_mill.htm) drawbar is stripped. i've tried to be super-cautious about it because i knew it looked cheap and soft, but i guess i have failed.

anybody know where i can get a normal R8 drawbar with about 16.5" under the head of the bolt?

psomero
03-05-2005, 08:03 PM
i think i may as well make up a new one. what kinda material should i use and should i harden the threads or anything?

alcova
03-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I know a person can get B7 ( Hardened ) allthread that may work

tattoomike68
03-05-2005, 09:00 PM
weld a grade 8 bolt on the end and call it good,we have one thats been working for 3 years that way.

matador
03-05-2005, 10:16 PM
You could look on this as a safety feature,strip the drawbolt rather than the thread in your collet holder?i use a galvanised bolt for a drawbar,this is really soft,and also cheap http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif.after 2 years use i have no complaints.FYI,the original wasn't stripped,just too short with the collet set and a morse3-4 adaptor.

------------------
Hans

wierdscience
03-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I would go with the all thread or welding a grade 8 bolt on,either one will work good and it gives you a rolled thread which will wear longer.
The drawbars on the market are all crap IHMO,I have bought them from all the usual suspects,they all are too soft or two-piece and pinned together.

leshawk58
03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I have a made in chine mill also,And what would be the frist thing to go ? the drawbar,what i did to fix my problem,was make one out of cold roll and case hardened it,has be working for a long time now.....lol
les

psomero
03-06-2005, 02:50 AM
the dude who sold it to me is sending me a new one, but i'm going to be picking up a 7/16-20 grade 8 bolt tomorrow and welding that sucker on the end i guess...

jim davies
03-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Why not use high strength loctite? There's not much sense welding a gr 8 bolt on, if you are going to weld use grade 5 or whatever.

psomero
03-06-2005, 05:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim davies:
Why not use high strength loctite? There's not much sense welding a gr 8 bolt on, if you are going to weld use grade 5 or whatever. </font>

how come? i figure if i weld a grade 8 bolt on the end, the tip where the threads matter will still be harder than a grade 5, therefore they'll be less susceptible to stripping. i dunno...