PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 registry corrupt ? HELP

ibewgypsie
03-05-2005, 10:33 AM
I bought a program BCH media, Las Vegas. It was supposed to be able to take pictures and make murals for wall hanging.

During the install all looked well. When the required restart came back it stalled out after loading the first Icon on tray. Hung right there. Reboot? same again. Reboot, same again.. Protected "safe" start up and I tried to delete it. Same except it stalled at different spot.

Subsequent boot tries have failed at second tray icon.

Not sure what to do next, I did complain to who I bought it from. It'd sure be neat if it worked. I planned on a mural in the new living room.

HELP, I got lotsa programming and lotsa pictures on that hard drive. I can get them off with my Linux program but what a pain.

Is there anyway to Fix the registry?
David

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

JRouche
03-05-2005, 11:06 AM
If it was muckkin with the registry a safe boot without drivers or net access would boot the computer up? Make sure when you do a safe boot you don't load anything up, no options.

Then if you can get into windows you can weed out all instances of the offender. You did have a good image of your registry, didnt you?

But, if you cant get her to boot up safe its not that program causing it.JRouche

ibewgypsie
03-05-2005, 02:15 PM
From a dos start-up.. scanreg /fix will restore the old starting registry.

It worked this time. I'm still frustrated, ZBill gates stole another hour from my life.

David

Carl
03-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I had a hard drive crash about a month ago. Replaced the hard drive, configured, formatted, reloaded Windows and MSN so that I could get back on line to research how to try and recover the old hard drive. Got it back by booting from a floppy, running SCANREG, backing up the registry files, and then rebooting from the back up files. Old drive fired right up, boy was I happy! Moral of the story...back up your hard drive NOW! Very bad feeling not knowing if you can recover it or not. Had some irreplaceable photos on there that are now burned on CD with back up copies. Got some other files back that would have taken months to duplicate also.

hammerhead74000
03-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Even though as primarally a Mac user, I am insulated from the hell that it the Windows Registry, I do keep an external FireWire hard drive that I image my home folder to on a regular basis - it's cheap insurance incase the primary drive fails, or something goes poof, software-wise. And when I generate some really important files, they go to CDRs in triplicate.

I've never actually had occasion to use it, but for Windows, I've heard good things about Norton Ghost:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Glad to see that you got it running again - now, you're going to back up that thing, right? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

rsr911
03-06-2005, 05:10 AM
One word RAID, better yet SCSI RAID!

OK so SCSI isn't really for beginners but at the price of HDs these days and the cost of an IDE RAID card it makes sense to run mirrored drives for the system. Run a third drive as a backup drive and use Windows Backup or a better program to backup everything at least weekly. My server at work (built by me) runs SCSI RAID 5 yet I still backup to tape automatically every night as well as to a big IDE data drive every week. Can't tell you how many times that file that a user "didn't mean to delete" has been replaced from one of the backups. As a rule I backup everything before installing software I'm unfamiliar with. Heck even just a second drive for backups can save your butt.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

JRouche
03-06-2005, 12:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsr911:
One word RAID, better yet SCSI RAID!
</font>

Cool, then he could have three corupted registries http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
JRouche

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-06-2005, 12:47 PM
All my data is stored on a NAS server:

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/59-102-004-05.JPG

NAS (Network Accessable Storage) is the wave of the future.. I have many computers at home and they all just mount my NAS unit for storage.. Doesn't matter what computer blows up, I always have access to my data via any of my systems..

You can buy a 120GB NAS unit that supports NFS, Windows File Sharing, Apple File sharing, etc for $170 or so.. If you have a home network, you just connect the NAS unit up to your hub/switch and all your computers can then access the NAS as another drive...

-3Ph

JRouche
03-06-2005, 01:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
All my data is stored on a NAS server:

I have many computers at home and they all just mount my NAS unit for storage.. Doesn't matter what computer blows up, I always have access to my data via any of my systems..
-3Ph
</font>

Not to sound argumentative. Seems that is the old all eggs in one basket deal. I also have a few computes here at home. If one hard drive dies, and it has happened, I still have access to data and a computer. If your network drive dies, everything dies.

Do you back the drive up? If so, what do you back it too, tape? I have a 120gig HD that is getting unrulely (too much data). I have been backing up to cd but that is slow and bulky at only 750meg each disc.

JRouche

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JRouche:

Not to sound argumentative. Seems that is the old all eggs in one basket deal. I also have a few computes here at home. If one hard drive dies, and it has happened, I still have access to data and a computer. If your network drive dies, everything dies.

Do you back the drive up? If so, what do you back it too, tape? I have a 120gig HD that is getting unrulely (too much data). I have been backing up to cd but that is slow and bulky at only 750meg each disc.

JRouche

</font>

I backup the data on my NAS to other workstations that have large disks too. The great thing about NAS, is it makes backing up your data VERY EASY because ALL computers have instant access to the data.

If the NAS dies, I just replace it and use ANY of my computers to restore it.

Every computer I have has access to the data on my NAS, and also every computer I have can backup data from/to the NAS, so it's certainly not an eggs in one basket deal..

Also, dedicated storage (Like a NAS) offers protection from storage failures caused by software. The down-time on a NAS storage system is much less than the down-time on a Workstation's storage unit.

The only draw-back to NAS, is it's network based so it does have latency and bandwidth restrictions, but I get a good 8MB/sec out of mine on a 100mbs switched network so it is more or less like a local disk.

-3Ph

CCWKen
03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I've been thinking of getting one of those external hard drives. I think they're connected via USB. Anyone have one or know of the drives? How would these work for backup? (Need 200Gb)

spope14
03-06-2005, 08:21 PM
I tend to double back up data files on CD-R disks. Sounds like a bit of work, yes, but then again, what work is it if you lose a hard drive.

I use CDR disks because they are pretty much standard between all platforms and such of PC's.

Another idea is a secons hard drive for data only. I have two hard drives in my computer. My main hard drive is 120 gig, the second is 20 gig. I have data on both drives, mirrored by copying each week to the data drive. Takes maybe a minute to re-copy folders I have used during the week.

This saved me last computer crash. The "program" drive tends to be the crash drive due to quite a bit of use and such. Tha data drive ses little use but for file recall in some cases, and my weekly back-up.

As for the CDR and CDRW method, be sure to back up your e-mail addresses, favorites, special drivers, such on and so forth. the initial time is probably a few hours to do, then it is just a few minutes to keep up. I use two CD's for each type of data in case one goes bad.

as I said, CD's are pretty much the standard between units. I know they are bulky and such, but one can find storage room - figure my 50 or so CD's still take up less room than a 20 meg Apple hard drive from 1985 did.

The new drives look real great

Norman Atkinson
03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Entered by the village idiot!

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 03-07-2005).]

Norman Atkinson
03-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I have just had to flash my bios.
When you get to my age, it can be very unrewarding- and merely causes a lot of giggles.

Jokes apart, I wished the postings ahead of me had happened earlier.

Thanks for your help- and apologies to those for whom their records- have gone to nought- and ones.