PDA

View Full Version : Fairbanks Eclipse Engine

JCHannum
03-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I finally got this completed enough to get it running. I have been working at it for about six or seven years off and on. It is running in the photo, the digital camera is faster than I realized.

http://members.aol.com/jchannum/eclipse

Al Messer
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, JC, I would say that it was time well spent as this is a very good looking job. Wish I was capable of doing similar work.

neonman
03-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Great looking engine. Was it a kit? If so,
is it still available?

neonman

caddy
03-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Ooh Ooh I want one too! Is the kit still available?

Spin Doctor
03-05-2005, 12:10 AM
I know what you mean about digitals. I shoot some pics of a machining operation with a multi blade insert cutter awhile back and all of the shots showed the cutter and the CHIPS frozen. And this was an old floppy camera

Buckshot
03-05-2005, 07:59 AM
.........Do it again with shop lighting and no flash. That oughta get you some blur :-)

Best,
Rick

ricksplace
03-05-2005, 08:56 AM
It's the flash that stops the action. Electronic flash has a flash duration of about 1/10000 of a second (much faster than a shutter). Put the camera on a tripod or resting on a table, turn the flash off and use the self-timer to trip the shutter since most digital cameras don't have a cable release socket for the shutter. If you push the shutter button, you will probably get a blurry image.

Nice work on the engine!

JCHannum
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words. It is a relatively easy model to build, and good castings. I think there was a build article in Gas Engine Magazine a while back.

Castings are available from Tom Ball, T&S Model Engine Works. 419-693-6251 stb@aol.com

The original carburetor castings did not work too well, and modifications were needed, I picked up on it at the NAMES show, but ask Tom if upgrade is in the plans or a different casting has been made.

I do recommend it. I have no connection with T&S, but I do know them.

I got it about 90% completed, and it has been languishing on the shelf for several years. In the Fall, I picked up for cheap a set of castings for a 1/2 scale John Deere. I have forced myself to complete some of the projects lying around here before I embark on that. This is the last. As soon as I get the governor working, I start on the JD.

Orrin
03-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Good job! Congratulations.

A friend of mine build an Eclipse like yours, but a core must have been poorly located in one of the castings.

Did you have any problems machining into a cored cavity? That's what has had me holding off getting a set.

Orrin

JCHannum
03-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Orrin, I had no problems with core shift. If your friend had a problem, did he contact Tom? I am sure he will make good on any casting problems.

caddy
03-05-2005, 07:29 PM
JC
What diameter are the flywheels? They might be to big for my machine.
Thanks
Caddy

JCHannum
03-05-2005, 08:09 PM
The flywheels are 7" diameter. The model is 12" high.

If you want something smaller, this is the Breisch Little Brother. I built this in the time the Fairbanks was sitting on the shelf. It is about 1/4 scale, 4" flywheels.

http://members.aol.com/jchannum/lilbro

Al Messer
03-06-2005, 11:26 PM
JC, you are one talented bloke!!

caddy
03-08-2005, 12:56 AM
JC:
Thanks for the info. Cool looking little engine. BTW I'm starting on the new (#2) crakshaft tomorrow!