PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S BEST WAY to SHIP LATHE???

Tom CPM10V
03-07-2005, 05:26 PM
HELP, PLEASE. I want to move a 2400-pound lathe from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia. QUESTION #1: What are your recommendations regarding best people to move it for me? QUESTION #2: Since I have a '96 F-150 and could spare the time to trailer it there, what are your recommendations on best place to rent a suitable trailer [for either 5 days if I must return trailer, or for three days if I can drop it at destination]?
THANK YOU. Tom

cuemaker
03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Having just moved a lathe that weights about 1900lbs ( i am not sure), I suggest the trailor method. Almost any rental place will do the trailer for you. I had great success with Penske. Thier one way price was cheaper than anybody else's. Although I rented a truck for mine.

Obviously check Penske to see if they rent trailors and if not U-Haul will gladly over charge you.

Make sure you have a means to load and unload the lathe.

ARD FARM
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
I move all my own machinery and my day job (the one that pays the bills) involves moving steel. If you are going to do it yourself:
1. Make sure your receiver hitch on your 150 is adequate and secure. Most people never check the mounts until it's too late
2. If you rent a trailer, make sure it has electric brakes or surge brakes (you will need a brake controller in your truck for electric).
3. Rent a tandem axle trailer and be sure you have some way to load it with the machine and unload it at the other end. I have used towing companies (wrecker) hoists to lift mills and lathes more than once.
4. Make sure the load is secure, that is chained down properly and all moveable parts on the machine locked and then tarp it so it don't turn into a rust bucket by the time you get home.

You don't want to be driving down the road and loose a part of the machine or the machine itself....you can't afford the lawsuit.

Finally, drive slowly and with caution and you should be all right.

------------------
Flip
ARD Farm & Machine Tool, SP.

andy_b
03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Tom,

i have moved a lot of old machinery and tractors. my first suggestion, rent a drop-deck trailer.

second, what type of base is on the lathe? is it on a stand of some sort, or just legs with four feet? if it is on a stand or has large pedastal bases at each end, then you are in luck. i have personally loaded and unloaded 4000# machines by myself with absolutely no problems. you just need a come-a-long, some nylon straps, a prybar, and about 4 or 5 pieces of 3' or 4' 1" black pipe. in the "Third Hand" forum there was a recent thread about moving a large shaper and i gave more details of how i moved my old 20" shaper. if the lathe has four legs/feet, then it is a bit more difficult to unload, but if you can arrange for unloading on the receiving end then you are good to go.

also, what is available to load the machine on the PA end? if they have a forklift or small loader and can get you loaded in an hour, you could almost make that trip in one day (leave early saturday morning and get back to GA saturday night). then again, i made it from San Antonio to PA in a bit over a day.

andy b.

CCWKen
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Ditto above. What I want to know is why will it take THREE DAYS to go from Pennsylvania to Northern Georgia? Truck running bad or you pulling the truck with a VW? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I drove a loaded 25k U-Haul AND pulled a loaded trailer from Northern most Ohio to the near Southern most Texas in 26 hours! You must be going the scienic route via Colorado. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 03-07-2005).]

Forrest Addy
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Lathes are generally topheavy and they're narrow and tippy. For that reason it makes sense to mount the lathe on 3 ft long timbers running crossways and lag-bolted through the pedestal hold-down holes.

2600 Lb lathe? Make the timbers 6 x 6. It's over-kill but not that expensive. Run the load binders over wood padding protecting the bed just in front of the headstock and over the rear pedistal. Don't bind a machine tool over the bed so it forces a deflection on any unsupported part of the structure.

If you have to load unload via rollers make a full lenght skid to run under the timbers cutting 30 degree entry bevels on the ends.

machinetoolonline
03-08-2005, 04:17 AM
What kind of lathe is it? And where in southern PA is it? Can they load it and can you unload it? I happen to be going to Jacksonville Florida this weekend from Pittsburgh, with a machine to deliver and one to pick up. Maybe I could take this down for you on my trailer. We are insured too, thats no problem. Let me know some more details and if you are interested, email me or post on here.

machinetoolonline
03-08-2005, 04:18 AM
And Tom, I have hauled many many lathes, do not worry!

jcurrell
03-08-2005, 08:26 AM
I moved a 15" clausing from roar island to toronto behind a desel jetta last year ,no problem. I made a trailor with a3500 lb axil and very low ground clearance that only needs to be lifted at the front and drag machine on and off.

------------------

Tom CPM10V
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
[Will post here since I do not know how to e-mail you.]
Hi, THANK YOU, MACHINETOOLONLINE, for the offer.
I'm the seller in Penna, and am just trying to get the lathe to the buyer more economically than the quotes by commercial carriers. Since the buyer has total responsibilty for shipping, it'll be up to him to make decision on your offer to haul the lathe to him. Only complication on this end is the loading: 'tis likely we'll need to load on the weekend since that's the only time essential equipment is available for lifting the machine.

I'm a slow typist, so can we talk by phone? I'll pay for your phone call[s]. My home is 717-642-8160. If phone discussion looks promising, I'll get you into direct contact with the buyer.

Now I'm off to work, and should be home by 6:00 PM EST. Tom [Gettysburg, PA]