PDA

View Full Version : Edelstaal cutting tool system

Tinkerer
03-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Anyone have any info on these... I googled and came up empty. I think it's for small lathes.

Thanks Tim.

Evan
03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Edelstaal-Unimat was the Canadian distributor for Unimat lathes. I have a very cool tiny boring bar from them for the unimat that takes special form factor HSS bits. It will reach inside a 1/4" hole.

nheng
03-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Emco had a quick change toolpost system. It may have been Edelstaal earlier in its life. I've got a picture I'll post as soon as I find it. Den

Tinkerer
03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Still can't locate any info on this tool holder system. The only thing my searches return is ebay sales not even related items http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif.

Evan do you know if the little bits can still be purchased?

Tim

Evan
03-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I really doubt it. I still have about 6" of the special HSS bit material that came with my Unimat. The bar and bit material look like this:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/bar1.jpg

Bguns
03-03-2005, 03:35 AM
I have the label that came with my bar:
Patent applied for

J.D.G. Tool Co.
726 Gerald Court
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11235

Super HSS was Red bit M4 HSS was Black

DFMiller
03-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Does any one have any more information on JDG. There is a phone number on the web but it is a wrong number. I have a friend that just loves that tooling and would really like to find a curretn source. Google seems to not find anything useful.

JCHannum
03-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Travers sold JDG for a while under their name. They had a few pieces in the last catalog I looked at, but no cutters.

It is too bad, it was a nice system, but never really caught on. I have a JDG fly cutter I use frequently.

Tinkerer
03-08-2005, 05:31 PM
JCHannum.. If you would.. can you post a picture of the fly cutter. I have a line on a set that has two 1/2" dia L shaped pieces with bit clamps on the end. One is 1" the other is 1.5" on the leg. As well as the rest of the set right left and cutoff and boring bar along with about 20 pcs cutter stock in a mix of orange... blue and plain no color coded and 3 or 4 cut off blades all in foam lined box with no insturction what so ever. Anyone have a idea what this is worth what a fair price would be?

Thanks Tim

nheng
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Tim, Sorry but I didn't find the QCTP image I had. Then thread turned toward Evan's boring bar. What sort of system were you looking for? Den

JCHannum
03-08-2005, 06:03 PM
This is the flycutter; http://members.aol.com/jchannum/fly

I think I paid $5.00 for it a few years back. Travers last list was around $7.00 or $8.00 for the RH &LH holders and a bit more for the cutoff tool, so take it from there. It kind of depends on how many cutters you have, as the holders are not worth anything without them.

I have no idea what the different colors represent. Obviously, they are different grades.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 03-08-2005).]

Tinkerer
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Yep JCHannum that's what they look like. There must be 40" of cutter blades and 8" of cutoff blade. Just how do you shape these cutters and does it really work that well? Also ever use that in a mill?

Tim

JCHannum
03-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Tim; I use the flycutter frequently, it works well.

As far as grinding, just grind a little relief on the end and front. Probably 5* on the end and maybe more on the front, the V groove takes care of the top. You can pretty much just duplicate the geometry already on the cutter blank, just touch them up to sharpen.

They are easy to use, and would work well with a smaller lathe in the 9"-12" range.