PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron & Magnetism

lynnl
08-15-2002, 03:49 PM
I was fiddling with my Jet 14" wood band saw last night. I had set a magnetic indicator base on the table a day or so before and tried picking it up, forgetting to turn off the magnet. Naturally it was stuck pretty tight. Then for some reason (don't remember just why) I stuck the magnet to the cast frame of the saw. It stuck to the frame but the attraction was MUCH, MUCH LESS than to the table. Is that telling me something about the quality of the cast iron in the frame? This is an older saw, serial # 83-xxxxx, so I guess it was probably made in 1983.

The purpose of my 'fiddling' was to identify and correct some vibration. With the wheel covers removed I could see the rubber tire on the bottom (drive) wheel was flapping up and loosing contact with the wheel on the top, where not held in tight contact by the pressure of the blade. That was not happening at the bottom of the top (idler) wheel. I put new tires on this when I bought it about 5-6 years ago. Don't remember why, but I did not glue the tires on. Probably 'cause it was such a pain in the a.. to remove the old ones. Should they be glued to the wheels?

George Hodge
08-15-2002, 11:03 PM
Lynn,sometime in the future,instead of rubber tires for that saw,use masking tape wrapped to approximatly the same thickness.I have several saws that have performed very well using tape. Don't know how long it will last,it's been on the wheels for at least 5 years.

Thrud
08-16-2002, 04:56 AM
Lynn

I always glue them in with contact cement - but I attach the rubber while the glue is wet. It holds them from slipping and I have never had to fix one a second time. Fine Woodworking had a recent article on redoing the tires - you may want to get it and read it.

lynnl
08-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks. I've subscribed to FWW since issue # 2 or 3. I'll look for that. Do you recall if it was within the last couple of years?

2 or 3 years ago at the Industrial Tool and Trade show there was vendor that specialized in molding urethane tires to bandsaw wheels. They really looked good and durable. Don't remember the price per wheel, but it was right spendy so I didn't pursue.

Wonder how duct tape would work. Seems that'd be even more durable than masking tape.

Thrud
08-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Lynn

If I was using the saw all the time ureathane is cheap and highly effective. It has to be cast into place - so it should never come loose.

I am pretty sure it was in the last year (unless it was a different mag - memory is not as good as it once was) - it might have been Fine Homebuilding. If you cannot find it I can attempt to find it in my piles (books, not 'roids!). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

trap
08-17-2002, 12:01 AM
tires should always be glued to the wheel. Seems like if they are not glued down they will come loose ...... maybe not all at once but just in spots to start with. makes for some wierd vibrations and sawing problems.