PDA

View Full Version : MIG welding w/1 or 2 bottles

webbch
03-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I just purchased a Lincoln SP-175 Plus. My first project will probably be a cart for the welder, but am trying to decide whether to make room for one gas bottle or two. I've heard people who bought the smaller bottles say they regret it and wish they'd bought the larger bottles, so I'm tentatively planning on getting the larger bottle(s).

It is so great having such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. I've read some of the previous welding posts that recommend a mix of 75%/25% Ar/CO2 for MIG welding mild steel. Does anyone recommend buying them in separate bottles and mixing them, or is it just cheaper/easier to buy it pre-mixed? Also, any tips for the welding cart? I've seen several that had a vertical post at the front for setting the gun on while not in use. Anyone find this feature particularly useful? Thanks

Chad

Tinkerer
03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Make your cart to fit one bottle... buy your gas mixed and ready to go. Just have a back-up bottle ready and waiting if you feel the need. Have fun making the cart. Oh if you don't have a Auto Darkening already... get one. I have two a cheapy and a few hunderd dallor one...both work the same. One has Band name embossed on it other plain black... I use the cheapy more then the othere. I have a portable gun holder the I place near work. It's a 1" tube welded to a 3/4" 4x4 hunk at a 45*. find it quite handy.

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 03-10-2005).]

precisionworks
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Nice machine, Chad, you're gonna like it! 75/25 is the "standard" mix for mild steel. No way to mix it yourself that I'm aware of, but all the big distributors carry it already mixed.

I bought a utility cart on sale at Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=DE505-5019&PMPANO=0293484&PMKANO=37&PMKBNO=849&PMPAGE=56&PARTPG=INLMPI

The picture shows three shelves, but only two come with the cart & that's all you need. The bottom shelf holds the SP-175 & the top shelf gives you a place for MIG pliers, nozzle spray, gloves, nozzle reamer, clamps, magnets, etc. I fabricated a handle across the front of the cart that serves as a place to wrap the cable.

You'll have to make a bottle bracket to attach to the back of the cart. When you're done, the cart looks like the one Lincoln sells, but you save half the cost.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=1997

------------------
Barry Milton

ricksplace
03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I bought an auto-darkening helmet for my son from HF for $49. Works like a charm. Looks cool too with the blue flames on it.

Rustybolt
03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm seriously considering running straight argon for both my mig and tig machines. One bottle. BTW around here they charge a premium for small (1 or 2) hour bottles.So I just get 4 hour bottles. One of the side benefits at the Airgas store is that I have access to the classroom and if there are no classes they let me play on the new equipment. Mostly Miller , but I have got to have a Lincoln precision tig 250.

webbch
03-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I bought what I hope is a pretty sweet auto-darkening helment from weldingmart.com (same place I bought the welder). So far, I'm pleased with the order processing; I got the welder in 3 business days (Ordered it last Saturday night, arrived Wednesday), still waiting for helmet.

Here's the link to the helmet.
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p002764.htm

Chad