PDA

View Full Version : How they do that?

dvk
03-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm fixing my Dad's lawnmower chute, the chute is fastened with 2 screws through 2 nylon T like nuts, any way I'm making some metal threaded inserts of sorts because the nylon one is stripped, with the constant removal and assembling of the chute, any way the question I have is as I look at the bolt that's supplied how did they do this.

The bolt is a hex head bolt with a flanged and a smooth barrel about 1/4" easy so far, but now after the shoulder on this bolt a washer is inserted then the bolt threads, this washer fits between the solid head of the bolt and in a small relief before the threads. This washer is loose as any washer would be and is one piece so how they do that?

darryl
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
The washer is dished, slid over the threads, then flattened out again.

Doc Nickel
03-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually, the washer is put on the bolt blank, then the threads are rolled, trapping it since the threadrolling raises the metal.

Doc.

Peter Sanders
03-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi

It can also be as simple as "screwing" the washer over the bolt, leaving it "trapped on the smaller diameter. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Regards

Peter

darryl
03-10-2005, 12:25 AM
I think Doc has it right. That sounds like how a manufacturer would do it.

Evan
03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Doc is right. The washer is placed before the threads are rolled. With thread rolling (a high production process) the blank has an OD halfway between the minor and major diameter. No problem slipping a washer on that will be captive.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-10-2005).]

dvk
03-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone.
I thought that was pretty neat how they did that.