PDA

View Full Version : Brit version of Last Word?

J Tiers
03-05-2005, 11:07 PM
I picked up this indicator today. It resembles a last word as to the dial, but as you can see it is quite different as to the mechanism, and it is British.
It appears that the small screw (marked " contact retaining screw") clamps the contact point. The point appears to have a horse-shoe portion that fits over the pivot.

Does anyone know if any standard point type will fit it?

The point soes not unscrew, just the clamp setup holds it. I don't know who made it, no name but "spot on".

The point on it is usable, but slightly bent, so replacement is an option, It works fine, about 4 x better than the &^%#&^%# last word.

This looks like a question for John Stevenson...........

Do you know the thread size on the back?

The only holding device is a threaded hole, apparently a BA thread, on the rear surface. It is fairly close to a 6-40 thread, for which I had and tried a tap, which screwed in but was loose.
Thanks for any info....
Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/sp_on1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/sp_on2.jpg

BTW, stuff was cheap today, the indicator was a buck, and I picked up a Foredom model CC with a model 30 chuck end on the shaft, and a foot control, for $20. Virtually new.

JCHannum
03-06-2005, 01:22 AM
It looks more like a Federal Testmaster than a Last Word. The Federal has the point with the horseshoe held in by a spring clip affair.

The British Verdict is/was more of a Last Word knock off.

Excitable Boy
03-06-2005, 05:39 AM
I have one of these indicators. It seems like a nice little tool although the face/bezel assembly on mine is loose. It seems like the tiny screws that hold it to the body have loosened, but I can't figure out how to get to them. Mine is slightly different in that it has a chrome body and says Engineering Products Inc. on the face besides the Made In England.

While it's about the same size as a Last Word (I have one of those too), they are very different designs besides the face.

When I inquired with Long Island Indicator about servicing it, they were unfamiliar with this manufacturer???

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

J Tiers
03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Dunno about yours. On this one, the dial glass is held in with a spring clip. One would have to remove that, then pull the hand, and remove the dial face.

That should allow access to the screws that hold on the dial assembly. There is a plate that is attached to the body. Sounds like that may be loose?

The knurled outer ring of the dial appears to be held on by three screws that likely fasten a retainer ring. That ring, if present, presumably loosely retains the knurled ring so it can turn.

Thanks for the steer on the Federal Testmaster....I wonder what the odds are that one of those tips would fit? I guess I will have to take this one's tip off and look at the "horseshoe" to see. I thik I may save that for a time of need....indicators that work are best not disassembled....

The tip on this "snaps" to various positions, around 10 or 15 degrees apart.

nheng
03-06-2005, 04:45 PM
J.T. I've got a brother of that one, a 0.0005" #639. Mechanically, it is identical.

I have the post for it and it measures 0.145" overall OD on the thread but matches perfectly with a 0.65mm metric thread gage. The post diameter is 0.250".

added - took a look at a BA table and based on the feel of the thread fit, I'd say it's a 4BA (3.60mm diameter, 0.66mm pitch)

I get confused by Brit machinery. John S., if you read this, is/was it common to mix imperial diameters/threads with metric threads?

Lastly, this little old indicator makes both of my Starrett LWs feel like junk. It has crisp response and stops at zero on a dime every time.

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 03-06-2005).]

John Stevenson
03-06-2005, 05:27 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
I have the post for it and it measures 0.145" overall OD on the thread but matches perfectly with a 0.65mm metric thread gage. The post diameter is 0.250".

added - took a look at a BA table and based on the feel of the thread fit, I'd say it's a 4BA (3.60mm diameter, 0.66mm pitch)

I get confused by Brit machinery. John S., if you read this, is/was it common to mix imperial diameters/threads with metric threads?

Den </font>

Den.
4BA sound about right.
It's not a matter of mixing up diameters and threads but the truth is BA is actually a metric thread but has always been expressed in the UK and US in imperial units.

In Europe [ always metric ] it was listed in all metric units, here because BA was in use whilst we were still imperial it was listed in imperial unit hence the weird TPI's but at least we could read the diameters on our imperial micrometers.

The classic example is 0BA listed in imperial as 0.236" diameter and 25.4mm pitch.
In metric this lists as 6.00mm diameter x 1mm pitch, in fact disregarding the different thread angle they ae interchangable.
Many people never realised hat it was metric until we changed over and then it was too late as it was being phased out.

Since the change over to metric BA is dying out here and it's use which was small electrical use and model engineering is now confined to just model engineering, industry adopting the small metrics.

The UK has never adopted the numbered NF and NC series of threads. We did adopt UNF and UNC for a while in the 60's when most of the motor trade was US owned and driven but since our section of the motor trade has now reverted to European ownership that has changed to metric.

John S.

nheng
03-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Incidentally, the Spot On contact point measures exactly 11.00mm from the centerline of the ball to centerline of the pin.

Just measured an old Federal and it is similar in design but of shorter length.

added - John, thanks for that explanation. It helped to clear it up a bit.

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 03-06-2005).]

J Tiers
03-06-2005, 09:52 PM
For John Stevenson:

Are the "Spot-On" folks still in business?

Are the points available?

It's a nice little indicator, worth using.

J Tiers
03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
JCHannum:

You are so right. I just saw pics of a Federal testmaster, and aside from the Federal having better mounting via dovetails etc, they could be the same. The lever and point clamp hole might be on opposite side vs Federal, don't recall now.

Might be some differences in dimensions, but even the little lever looks like the Federal.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 03-12-2005).]