PDA

View Full Version : Good News..Bad News

viking
03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Good News..
The timing was perfect a couple weeks ago with the discussion on this board of different materials to use for running lines in the shop for compressed air. I had about got the electrical work where I wanted it and was ready to start on the air lines. After considering all the advice I decided that copper would be the best chioce for me. Armed with 220 feet of 3/4" type "L" copper tubing, $130 worth of "T", 90* , 45*, straight fittings, and a MAPP torch I set to work. I had never sweated copper pipe before but since I know how to weld (MIG, TIG, gas), I figured how hard could it be. The hardest part was following the contours of the beams in the shop when the angles were something other than 90* or 45*. One corner of the shop took almost a day to complete. Four days time was required to complete the project, however since I am recently retired I guess time is not an issue. When I completed my system it was time for a leakdown test. I put 100 psi. of air in and quit for the day. Went to the shop the next morning and the gauge read 100 psi. Three days later and it still read 100 psi. Prior to reading the discussion on this board I was planning on using black pipe. There is no way I could have got these kind of results with iron pipe. Thanks to all for the good advice!!!

Bad News..
I lost my good friend and mentor last week to cancer. He was only 65. Wish you all could have met him, you would of liked him. He was never was too busy to stop what he was doing and help me with a "how do you do this" type question. The only guy I've ever known that I considered a genius. I owe my limited machining skills to him. Gonna miss him!

happy02
03-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I too lost a dear friend and mentor to cancer 2 years ago. It is a terrible disease.

jackb
03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Viking,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mentor. Cancer is devious enemy. One that thook my mother 12 yr.s ago and has lost it's most recent battle with me. Keep the good attitude, in the end it is the only real way to win.

Jack

jackb
03-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Viking,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mentor. Cancer is devious enemy. One that took my mother 12 yr.s ago and has lost it's most recent battle with me. Keep the good attitude, in the end it is the only real way to win.

Jack

wierdscience
03-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Sorry for the loss,he will live on through what you learned from him thou.