PDA

View Full Version : OT: What adhesive for this application?

mwp
08-17-2001, 09:50 PM
You might want to look at a product called loctite 3030. This should give a decent bond between the hdpe and steel according to the datasheet (or at least in shear--typical of most adhesives). In my testing of bonds between ldpe and hdpe/uhmw/pex with this product, the plastic substrate generally fails before the glue joint providing the joint is designed semi-correctly.

If you go this route, you will need an applicator gun and the correct mixing nozzles(10:1). Your local supplier might not think that this is the case...trust me it is..insist on it.

BTW, I don't have any connection with loctite but this product has saved the day on a few projects for me.

Best of luck.

Mitchell

Wayne02
02-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I need to glue some thin strips of hdpe (plastic) strips onto 5/8" square steel tube. I can either glue it on prior to paint (if that's better from an adhesion point) or after paint.

What adhesive would work for this application?

Thanks
Wayne

winchman
02-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I think the concensus is that there's NO adhesive that will really bond to HDPE. Some epoxy resins will form a "mechanical" bond if the surfaces are roughened, but it's not going to last past a little flexing or expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials. Your best bet is to use mechanical fasteners.

Roger

bob_s
02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Polyurethane cement is about the only thing I know of that will work.

Evan
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Loctite "Glue for all Plastics" should work. It glues teflon just fine.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/tglue.jpg

PTSideshow
02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
This site might have some ideas its glue all the time. but the other post are right I really can't add much other than screw thru the tube in to the plastic if you can would be the best bet. next would be a rail welded to the tube on each side of the strip and grooves in the strip's edges and then stops on each end.
http://www.thistothat.com/
Probbally would help if I put the site link in here. must be to much glue sniff with them AMT kits from the 60's LOL
------------------
Glen
Been there, probally broke it doing that

[This message has been edited by PTSideshow (edited 02-27-2006).]

[This message has been edited by PTSideshow (edited 02-27-2006).]

Evan
02-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks Glen, you just gave me an idea for an unrelated project I'm working on. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

YankeeMetallic
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Hot Glue. If you can, heat the metal part to make it warm, then apply the hot glue to the metal, and affix the plastic. I would test a piece first to make sure the heat from the melted glue does not distort the plastic strips.

Tinkerer
02-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure what your application is. But flooring contact cement works every well for steel and rubber... may work for your application.

rsr911
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
My company makes industrial adhesives (read sold by the drum or tote) that will bond HDPE to metal. These are heat activated so they must be dried then heated under pressure for 10-20 seconds to activate the bond. Email me and perhaps I can help you.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

HWooldridge
02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
3M makes a double stick tape called VHB that we used in a very similar app. It is very thin - less than 1/16". Clean the steel with acetone or something similar, heat the steel with a hot air gun until it's warm to the touch, apply the tape and follow with the plastic. It also helps if you can run it through a roller press or mash it some other way to squeeze it a little. We use this stuff to assemble steel door skins to their cores and it will not come apart without destroying something in the process. Absolutely the best double stick tape I have ever used.

Wayne02
03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Well, I found some of that 3m vhb tape but they want $60 for a roll and I only need 32" or so. Talked with the local hpde plastic house just now, and they claim they have not found a consistent glue that works in this type of application. HPDE to steel needs to be mechanically fastened according to them.

I've made a rack out of 5/8" square tube that slides down over the sides and rests on the top of my mig welder. I'll use it for storage, hanging helmets etc. Because it's a mig welder I occasionally have to get in there to change a spool (although not often with my use). Thus the rack is not bolted to the machine. It simply sits on top and has four legs that extend down the sides of the machine to capture it.

Wanted to keep from scratching the side of the welder every-time I installed and removed said rack. So I thought I could glue 1/8" strips of plastic on the legs to protect the paint.

Evan
03-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Get some large diameter clear vinyl hose from the plumbing supply and slit it. Put it over the legs.