PDA

View Full Version : South Bend - Too good to be true?

egpace
02-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Just like the car that was driven by the little old lady just on Sundays to go to church.

70 years old & the bed looks almost new. I'll watch this one to see what it goes for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=97230&item=3878079342&rd=1

PS I'm not affiliated in any way to the seller, just figured others would get a kick out of it.

Rustybolt
02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
The bench is probobly worth more than the machine. A little pricey in my opinion.

Happy
02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
I like it. it is too far away, or I would go and take a look at it.

egpace
02-27-2005, 08:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
The bench is probobly worth more than the machine. A little pricey in my opinion.</font>

I look at the value differently. It's more of a show piece, Smithsonian quality, but not quite old enough. Like buying a 1971 vehicle with 4,000 miles on it. It's got plenty of life in it.
Ed

precisionworks
02-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Ed,

Pristine... wonder if SBL has records that go back to that serial #. If so, they will know the year built & what distributor South Bend sold it to.

andy_b
02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
i have a question regarding the bed on this lathe. i always hear folks talking about the frosting from hand scraping, and i have seen many examples of this. on the ways in the pictures, i don't see ANY frosting. the reason i ask is i have a 1935 (well, 01-01-1936) SB 11" lathe and there is no frosting anywhere. not under the headstock or tailstock. not on the undersides of the ways where the carriage rides. nothing. the bed appears to have very little wear (to me anyway, and i have seen some lathes with LOTS of wear). is this normal, or was the bed refinished at some time? would this also mean the bed in the lathe on ebay was also refinished? i doubt the one in the auction ever had any refinishing done judging by the overall excellent appearance.

andy b.

wierdscience
02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rustybolt:
The bench is probobly worth more than the machine. A little pricey in my opinion.</font>

Actually that bench IS worth more than the machine,really no kidding.

BillH
02-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Hmm looks pretty good. I wonder where all the flaking went if it was just a hobby machine. My lathe was sold to a machine shop in 1941, and it has more flaking than that lathe.
Go take a look at it.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 02-27-2005).]

Paul Alciatore
02-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I want it. I want it. I want it!

Paul A.

BillH
02-27-2005, 10:21 PM

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 02-27-2005).]

Mike Burdick
02-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Where are the change gears?

BillH
02-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Good point, Oh I just noticed another thing, wheres the darn banjo reverse? It's missing some parts. I wonder if he is selling those on a seperate auction? Story dont sound right now, if it was his gramps lathe, it would all be intact.

precisionworks
02-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Andy, my 1987 SBL 10-K has an identical bed (ground, not scraped). I bought it from the original owner & he said it came that way from the factory.

JCHannum
02-27-2005, 10:45 PM
The low priced workshop 9" lathes did not have the tumbler reversing gears.

In 70 years of being moved from one place to another, it is not surprising that the change gears may have become lost or separated.

My 1934 How to Run a Lathe book lists that lathe at $106.00.

JRouche
02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Looks real nice. Someone posted a remark on the condition of the bed with it having wear marks or gouges. I dont see any.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/sb9bed.jpg

But, on another note. It's old, even if in good condition, it's old. For the same kind of money you could get a S.B. with quick change gear box. It just makes cutting threads and feeds easier.

But, if you were in the market for a really old lathe in good condition this looks nice. Think about what BillH says about the missing parts though, may be hard to locate afterwards. JRouche

jburstein
02-27-2005, 11:13 PM
They do exist. There was a similar southbend (a 10k) sold on ebay but out in Pittsburgh. I did get a chance to go take a look, and it was as new. I don't think the thing had been used more than 10 hours in its entire life. Everything it had come with (all the accesories sold for it, I think), was there, as was the invoice. The original toolbits were there, as ground at the SB factory. It was quite obvious that only one of the cutting bits had been used.

The thing still had its original scraping marks. It belonged in a museum. It sold for about $2400. Unfortunately that was more than I could pay, but I was salivating over that thing.

-Justin

Your Old Dog
02-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I gave $600 for this one about 8 years ago. it was purchased by a TV station in 1965 to build the station and never used again till I came along. All the brochures were still in the drawers and clean! It was mint when I got it.

http://www.raysstuff.com/shop%20progress.htm

Back to the point of the one in this post. I have to wonder if the table it's setting on is a Green and Green or possibly Stickley. My guess it's valuable even with 4 big holes in the top http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ray...

precisionworks
02-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Ray,

What a beautiful location, snow reminds me of central Iowa, where we lived for 20 years.

------------------
Barry Milton

John Stevenson
02-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Ray,
I see you have Brydgeport mill /drill.
Nice play on words.
I have one of the made under license full sized ones in the UK

Orrin
02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
I have a lathe similar to this in storage, except that mine has a reverse tumbler.

This type of lathe is very limited. It has no cross feed, making facing and parting off operations a PITA;and, the lead screw drives the longitudinal feed. Consequently, the half-nuts are the first things to wear out.

No change gears, huh? IMHO at $550 it is overpriced.

My 2ยข

Orrin

egpace
03-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Another mint South Bend!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3880322661&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

topct
03-11-2005, 11:10 PM
egpace, now that one is just plain old lovely.

------------------
Gene

Richard T
03-14-2005, 11:34 PM
They will have information about that machine and even those that are older. I researched some information for a friends SB. He has a 12.5" SB with serial number 7946. They had information for the machine before and the machine after but couldn't find this one. The other two machines were built in 1916 and were both the same size. Unlike the one pictured this machine has power cross feed.

Richard
www.homemachineshop.com (http://www.homemachineshop.com)

speedy
03-15-2005, 01:36 AM
My old mate, Patrick, had a mint SB 9" of very old vintage. It looked identical to this one and in as good a nick; before he passed on he gifted the lathe to another longstanding friend of his who will take good care of it. When I see Al I shall get the serial numbers and compare.

cheers, ken

Spin Doctor
03-15-2005, 07:23 AM
This auction to me illustrates just why some people buy new PRC machines instead of nice used (well barely) machines. They may be out there but all too often they are on the other side of the fricking country. For far too many of us there simply is no ready supply of used equipment laying around to be picked up for a song. Either because it isn't there or far too many people already know the value of such machines and either won't sell them or want two arms and two legs for them.

------------------
Our motto "should be waste not want not" otherwise our childern will want