PDA

View Full Version : Interapid Dial Test Indicator

flatlander
03-15-2005, 11:21 AM
OK, time to confess my ignorance - I bought a Interapid 312b-3 & a Mitutoyo 513-504T dial test indicators a couple of months ago. Up to now, when I've needed to indicate to .0001", I've used the Mitutoyo. Today, I need to use both for a setup, and so got the Interapid out of the box for the 1st time to use it. Question - how do you adjust the probe from the vertical position it was shipped in to horizontal? Never having worked with a test indicator before using the Mitutoyo, I'm reluctant to start screwing around with such a delicate & expensive instrument with no clue as to what I'm about.

Sprague M
03-15-2005, 11:33 AM
You should only have to push the needle around. It will rquire a bit of effort but they are fairly sturdy and will tolerate some abuse.
I'm guessing (from 20+ years of experience) that the Mitutoyo will not see much future use. Interapids are very nice.

Matt

precisionworks
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Interapid, Compac & Girod Tast are my three favorites. You may want to look for a few additional carbide contact points for your indicator, they are really handy.

------------------
Barry Milton

nheng
03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
I have the same Interapid and all you gotta do is push the contact point to where you want it. One thing to keep in mind is the contact angle. I believe that the Interapid is designed for 12 degrees (angle of contact point to a flat surface or tangent if circular. Other than 12 degrees and you need to compensate for cosine error. www.longislandindicator.com (http://www.longislandindicator.com) has good info on this phenomena and a simple correction table.
Den