PDA

View Full Version : #5 Morse taper collets - do they exist?

andy_b
03-15-2005, 12:33 PM
the spindle taper on the old LeBlond lathe i got looks like a #5 Morse. anyone know of a source for collets for this size? or, can i get an adapter somewhere to use a smaller collet (#4MT, #3MT, 5C, R-8, etc.)? i haven't been able to find anything that will work. i want to get something that fits in the spindle bore, not a thread-on adapter.

thanks,

andy b.

otto luck
03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
YES, MT5s are as common as MT4s, MT3s,MT2s and MT1s. YES you can get sleeves to size down, either one step at a time or you can attain one to go from MT5 to MT2 if you want!. There's a large variety of MT adaptors available. They are usually called sleeves if the are the size down type. If you can think of it, its out there!!!----

[This message has been edited by otto luck (edited 03-15-2005).]

Arbo
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
What about using a 5MT to 5C adapter?

otto luck
03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
SORRY, not available!. It would be nice thou. A MT to an R8 or 5C, thats a dream. There in it for the $, or else its an engineering thing! I'm not sure.....

JCHannum
03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by otto luck:
SORRY, not available!. It would be nice thou. A MT to an R8 or 5C, thats a dream. There in it for the $, or else its an engineering thing! I'm not sure.....</font>

Sorry, MT5 is a common lathe spindle size and MT5 X 5C collet adaptors are readily available.

MT2 & MT3 collets are available as well, I don't recall seeing other sizes, but they may be around. Drill sleeves and collets are two different animals.

otto luck
03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Mr. JCHannum: Seeing I never saw one, I quess I did'ent know. I see you said MT5 to 5C, Is that the only size MT that has the 5C adaptor available?.

andy_b
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
JC,

i've been searching all over and can't find a MT5 to 5C adapter. that is what i would prefer to get. it would be most appreciated if you could post a link to such a creation.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

viking
03-15-2005, 03:31 PM
andy b

Email me offline at chiliviking@earthlink.net and I can maybe help you

cwhorton
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Andy,
We have an old(er) LeBlond at school. It's headstock sleeve "looks" like a #5 MT, but isn't. We ended up having to make a sleeve. We sleeved it for a #3 MT. The outside taper was some sort of a mongrul. Can you stick in anything with a #5 MT to verify that a #5 MT is indeed what you need? Maybe you have already. If so, this post never really happened. ;-)

------------------
Charlie
Eastern Maine, USA

jfsmith
03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
I have a 5MT with a chuck on it sitting around some where, I think I have an 8MT in the same box. If you want them, contact me off line.

Jerry

John Foster
03-15-2005, 05:26 PM
If a guy just had a lathe he could make a plug to fit the spindle and then bore that out to take a 5C collet. I did for my 16" S.B. which uses a 4 1/2 Morse taper so there would be plenty of of material if you have a #5.

lklb
03-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Their was an article in HSM or MW mags a while back. Here is a link to article about building the adapter- not the actual construction article itself. Simple enough to figure out...
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/collet/collet.html

JCHannum
03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I made my own collet adapter and drawbar similar to the one in the above link.

Mt5 is the smallest Morse taper that a 5C collet will fit, that is why it is a common. Most come with the lathe, but can be purchased from Royal and others. Be prepared to spent big $$ though.

Smaller MT spindles use the same arrangement with other collets.

Making an adapter directly in the spindle is a simple turning job and assures the best accuracy.

lklb
03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Yep ,here is a smaller R8 adapter from a link off this website....

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/jul04/jul04.html#collets

John Stevenson
03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Get a MT5 to ER40 and do away with those crappy one size 5C's and get a set that covers all sizes, metric and Imperial with no gaps.

John S.

JCHannum
03-15-2005, 08:14 PM
ER40 are good in that they cover a wider size range with fewer collets, but 5C are cheap and readily available and have a major advantage in being able to pass long stock through them. You can't do that with the current crop of MT5 X ER40 adapters.

5C collets also offer a wider size range, up to 1-1/8" and the added advantage of pot collets for much larger OD's, hex and square collets, emergency collets for odd shapes and expanding collets for internal bores. A 5C system offers many more options than simply holding short round stuff.

Add to that all the other fixtures that employ 5C collets, and they provide a versatile work holding system. I am not about to scrap mine and run out and buy ER40.

andy_b
03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
you guys are killing me. i guess i will have to get something cheap with a 5MT taper to verify it fits in the spindle as i am not exactly sure how to measure the taper. i will give it a shot tomorrow and see what i come up with.

andy b.

JCHannum
03-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Andy, sorry to digress, spindle tapers vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. There is a MT4-1/2 that shows up on some machines that is between a 4 & 5. MT spindles are difficult to measure as they are usually shorter than the traditional MT bore.

Miller Machine manufactures many adapters, and they may be able to help you. www.millermachineandfabrication.com (http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com)

I have no affiliation with them, but they appear to be a good source.

mike thomas
03-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Grizzly has a lever collet closer for about $300. The closer uses a 5MT to 5C adapter. If you go to the Grizzly site and look at the manual for the closer, then call Grizzly and order the adapter as a replacement piece, you will have the 5MT to 5C adapter you need. &lt;$30.0O to the door, pendin' on where you live. It is simple to make the rest of a wheel closer. Mike

bikepete
03-16-2005, 07:18 AM
There's a seller on US ebay usually has 4MT (import) collets for sale: e.g

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25294&item=3880996399&rd=1

Never seen them in the UK though, or I'd have a set by now :-)