PDA

View Full Version : Marine diesel engine - huge!

Mike Burdick
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Since I live inland I never knew they made such huge engines....

http://www.atlanticobr.com.br/curiosidades/The_Most_Powerful_Diesel_Engine.htm

Any of you ever see such and animal in person?

motorworks
03-13-2005, 09:13 PM
And I was just reading about the Smart Car!!

http://www.smart.com

[This message has been edited by motorworks (edited 03-13-2005).]

[This message has been edited by motorworks (edited 03-13-2005).]

IOWOLF
03-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I wonder if the jap signs say ' work hard or you dont get your rice'

halac
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Burdick:
Since I live inland I never knew they made such huge engines....

http://www.atlanticobr.com.br/curiosidades/The_Most_Powerful_Diesel_Engine.htm

Any of you ever see such and animal in person?</font>

I've seen the eight cylinder version that is owned by the city of Sebring, FL. It is used as a peaker power plant. They have two of these engines. They use bunker oil for fuel. In order to pump the fuel from the storage tanks to the fuel injection system it must be heated to 120 F in order to flow. Each fuel injector injects approximately 20 ounces of fuel into the cylinder at each stroke. The cylinder measures 36" across with a 5 foot stroke. The entire engine measures 66 feet long and 44 feet high. This engine runs at 120 RPM.

I was able to see into one of the inspection ports on the side of the engine block. It was about the size of a large manhole cover. You knew the engine is large when there are ladder rungs going up each web between the cylinder. Going into the bottom of each piston were two telescopic tube that carried cooling fluid into the crown of the pistons.

Through a friend who works there I was able obtain a piston ring from this engine. Its the size of a hula-hoop! Its about 3/4" thick by 13/8 wide.

Hal C.

Dave Opincarne
03-13-2005, 11:31 PM
That's truely amazing, I've never seen such tiny people!

madman
03-13-2005, 11:56 PM
We call them oompa loompas. Thats tiny people. That diesel looks like a fuel pig.

Dave Opincarne
03-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks a lot! Now I've got the Oohmpa Lohmpa song in my head. Just try not to think of _It's a Small World After All_ OK. I hate it when that happens.

hammerhead74000
03-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Dagnabit, Dave!!! Now, where'd I stick my iPod... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dave Opincarne
03-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Germans call that an ear-worm. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif The last pattern shop I worked at, we "played that game with each other all day long, x-mas was nasty..."Frosty the snow man, was a happy jolly soul..." Best remidy I've found is to think of every obnoxious song I can think of as fast as I can, don't give any of them a chance to grab hold.

Good luck

Dave

"...with his corn cob pipe and his button nose and two eyes made out of coal..."

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 03-14-2005).]

mattc
03-14-2005, 02:03 AM
at 1660 gallons of fuel per hour it could be cheap to run

I want to see the lathe that they use to turn that crank

Matt in AK

WJHartson
03-14-2005, 02:27 AM
There is a floating power plant in Jamaica at Old Harbor that has 6 of the 8 cylinder wartsila diesel power generators. It is called the Doctor Bird. The Doctor Bird is a humming bird and is the national bird. These are hugh engines with multipal levels. The machine shop is something else. Everything is there to repair and rebuild the engines. We were looking at buying one of the diesel generators for additional power at the alumina plant where I worked.

Joe

Peter S
03-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Matt,

Yes, how do they make the cranks?

Some time ago I asked Sulzer this question, and they replied saying that single piece forgings are used for engines up to 'quite large sizes' in fact up to the largest of the four stroke engines (640mm bore).

However the two stroke engines have long had built-up crankshafts. The crankshaft is built from forging for each cylinder (one crank pin and two crank webs) and the main journal. The journals are shrink fitted into the webs. In all cases, however, the longer crankshafts are seperated into perhaps two sections for ease of handling and transport.

opua
03-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Matt,
For some reason I'm on Wartsila's distribution list for their quarterly magazine, from memory the 10 cyl crankshaft fully assembled weighsover 330 metric tonnes, built up as you say, Awseome to say the least. All their large engines are built and assembled by the licensed shipyards in Korea and Japan, Spain etc.

Mike Burdick
03-14-2005, 04:39 PM
One would think that at some point the weight and the inertia of the internal parts would make a piston driven engine impractical - or at least impossible to machine. Guess they haven’t gotten to that point yet! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 03-14-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Now that would make a great go-kart engine.

-3Ph

bobbybeef
03-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks Mike for a really fascinating post. I often wondered how those ships motors were built. Now I see it is just like my 80 hp tractor engine. Must wear dust boots next time I do the injectors.
Thanks again.
Bobby.

Spin Doctor
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
I wonder if the jap signs say ' work hard or you dont get your rice'</font>

By the way its Korean. They have taken the ship building business away from the Japanese

Peter S
03-14-2005, 08:38 PM
More on crankshaft construction.

A friend used to work at a forging company in Sheffield - they used to make crankshafts another way.
A block of steel would be put in a lathe and have its crank throws roughed out. All of the throws would be in-line. Then this would be taken to the forging dept, heated and have the throws twisted to the correct positions. Then returned for finish machining. I don't know the size of these cranks, but I think they would have been in the low 1000's hp.

teamsouth
03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
hmmmm.... wonder if i can stuff it in the excursion--LOL

spope14
03-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Guess that won't fit in my Neon.......

chief
03-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Doc,
Not quite, Japanese yards are working full tilt. Most single hull tankers are nearing
the end of their service life so most asian yard have work. Shipping lines are still willing to paying a bit more for Japanese quality, Koreans are still behind in technology.

ahidley
03-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a crankshaft question.
I read somewhere about the proper way to store crankshafts. It was much debated.
How was the 300 ton crank shipped to its final resting place in the journals/bearings?
Its pretty long, so horizontally is assumed. Was it supported under each journal?

chief
03-16-2005, 05:13 AM
They are shipped horziontally with block of wood under the journals. FM used to season their cranks for thrity days buried in sand
and one machinist did all the machining on a
particular crank till it was finished, I never saw one fail.

Your Old Dog
03-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Great Post! I love looking at the really big toys! Just puzzled by one thing. Do they build the motor in the ship (building don't look like a ship). Or do the build the motor, tear down the building and build a ship around it? If it's conventional technology then Harbor Freght's gonna have a big order coming someday!

Ray

PS. Pyramids? Huh? Piece of cake unless you think they actually "lifted" them into place http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ahidley
03-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks Chief..

I wanna see the "cherry picker" that puts that baby in!!