PDA

View Full Version : make one? (BP slotting head)

Tony
03-09-2005, 02:23 PM
maybe a 6" stroke version.

if i double what i think it'll cost to make, i'm still under the coast of a good (full) broaching set.

does the original slotting head have a clapper? what if i make one without?

i hear they can be had for cheap, but not 'round these parts -- plus it might make an interesting project.

thoughts? warnings?
-tony

John Stevenson
03-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Tony,
Never made one but a few years ago I supplied a load of old machine parts to a retired guy who did build one.
Main items were an angle plate and a machine slide that was about 7" - 8" wide and probably had a working stroke of 5" or so.
I did see it when it was done but it was a while ago.
I could call round and get some pics if you want.

John S.

ibewgypsie
03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
If you can find some pictures, I too am interested.

David

John Stevenson
03-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Won't be shiney http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Tony
03-09-2005, 05:53 PM
pictures would be great.

i don't want to make make my stroke-adjust that intricate, probably just a set of spiraling holes. shouldn't be too hard... maybe 5 positions, tops.

tricky part will be mounting it to the BP turret.. that cast hole is hollow inside! i dont plan on making provision for tilting the head.. so getting the mount square/perpendicular might be tricky.

all else fails: shims!
-tony

oh.. if i make it only one speed (say, 100 strokes/min) -- bad idea? 99% of the time it will be cutting keyways 4mm to 12mm wide. the usual lot is about 100mm long. figure a 120mm max stroke, at 100strokes/min should be okay?

i'll be using HSS blanks (from the lathe).. i can't imagine 500 strokes/min being a good idea. then again, i've never used a slotter/shaper.

*any* input = golden.

Paul Gauthier
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I don't have a b/p manual but I know that somewhere I have seen an exploded view of my shaper head. I can't promise anything but I will keep looking.

------------------
Paul G.

Tony
03-10-2005, 01:32 PM
paul,
already have the exploded drawings, thanks tho.
i'm curious to get general shaper/slotter info.

ie:
1. how many strokes/min?
2. how to sharpen a shaping tool?
3. should i provide rake angle in the toolholder, or grind the tool?
4. if i dont have a clapper, is it a big deal?

-tony

Peter S
03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Don't get too excited about the BP slotting head - yes they are handy at times, but I would much prefer to broach a keyway if possible. I guess you need a press as well as a broach set, but a press is pretty useful too!

Most of the slotting I did was about 2" deep, there was always some tool deflection, and it was easy to stall the slotter - they are light weight.

So, handy, but in my opinion, not a very precise method of machining.

ibewgypsie
03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Come to think of it, I do have shaper drawings on a bp cdrom.. NOW, finding that rascal will be a chore. If I do I'll post the picture.

David

mochinist
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Man I could have used one today, had to do a 1/4 keyway on a 1 1/8 blind bore. Did it on the lathe and about wore out my arm and back.

JCHannum
03-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I ran across this looking at something else. It is a combo machine made by Arboga, but shaper head is simple. It might give some of you ideas. http://www.lathes.co.uk/arboga/page5.html

sandman2234
03-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Somebody put a Volstro head on ebay, and put a $350 buy it now. It was sold before I got to it. I wanted one to add to my dustcollectors.
My Bp head doesn't have a clapper box.
David from jax

------------------
Have gun, will travel.

pete913
03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Not sure you'd call it a clapper box, but there's something resembling one built into the ram on one we have at work. Peter S nailed it. They are a lightweight tool, ours stalls out in steel taking .003 cuts with a 1/16" wide parting tool. You'll grow old trying to finish a 3/8" keyway with one.