PDA

View Full Version : hot chips, OUCH

snowman
03-16-2005, 12:48 AM
A continuation of the "watcha wear" thread.

How do you guys keep your hands from being big red welts when the hot chips start flying around?

I have taken to wearing the tight fitting mechanics gloves, but I really dont like wearing gloves in the shop, unless I'm welding. Any secrets?

Which brings up another point. My beard is getting burnt to hell from grinding...any suggestions there?

-Jacob

ibewgypsie
03-16-2005, 01:03 AM
While leaned over the mustang2 spindle on the old studebaker car I caught my beard on fire. It is just now growing back out. Torching, trimming it close.

I back up from really hot chips, they stick. I got more holes in the tops of my socks than the bottoms.

I did dig out some pine bark embedded into my forearm a while ago thou.

Once, while clipping a old truck, I was laying on my back welding in, a bead hit the concrete next to my head and bounced into my ear. Hearing it "sizzle" inside my ear was a brand new experience. I liked to have knocked the truck off the jack stands getting out.

Ya take it like a man I guess, and cry like a little girl. Or at least I do.

David

CCWKen
03-16-2005, 01:44 AM
I made a flip up sheild. When it gets in the way and I'm doing a manual feed, I throw a shop rag over my hand. If it were to get caught, the rag goes and not my whole arm.

jfsmith
03-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Wear a face shield, a skull cap and a set of leathers that look like a dress.

Roverian
03-16-2005, 02:17 AM
I find my Mig welder particularily efficient at generating small red hot balls of weld that seem to have an inherent ability to search out the most inaccessable part of my body and sizzle away quite nicely.

My ears are apparently also not off limits...

Forrest Addy
03-16-2005, 03:19 AM
There's no law about chip shields, plain or fancy, home made or store bought. A portable chuck guard made from a traailer fender works good too.

Just be sure the chip guards are arranged and attached so they don't become the eye of a hurricaine of flying junk propelled by chuck jaws.

I have burn scars all over me from flying chips. That's why around machine tools you wear natural fibers that won't melt from chip impact and stick to you. I once had a small carbide chip from carbide shell mill sail right over the top of my safety glasses and stick to my eyelid and another time a big planer chip hooked in my pocket and fryed a thrid degree burn big as a quarter on my hip bone.

Make some simple chipguards furnished with biscuit magnets or some other method of quick attachment and revision. You'll be glad you did. Makes for less sweeping too.

precisionworks
03-16-2005, 10:15 AM
To keep weld spatter & droppings out of the ears, cotton balls work best.

snowman
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Ok...two of the dumbest welding stories.

I was welding new floorboards into my car, wearing shorts, it was hot out! Weld Weld Weld done for a bit, oops...caught the wire on the ground cable, quick squeeze of the trigger and it'll seperate. Well, it seperated, leaving a nice little 1" long piece of .030 wire. I stood up, and in the process of standing up, somehow managed to get that wire right into my calf, had about a 1/4" still sticking out. Nice thing, it was still hot, so it cauterized on the way in...when I pulled it out, no blood, no nothing, wound never gave me a problem.

The more humorous one. A coworker was welding in shorts. Working on the bucket of a dumptruck, so he was squatting down, welding away. All of a sudden I see him drop the welder and run to the bathroom. I thought that he might have had some bad tacos the night before or something. Well, a couple minutes later, he cracks the door and yells for me...says ne needs a pair of needle nose pliers. Still wouldn't be the first time, takin a **** and finds a nice sliver or something to pick at, just slide em under the door.

Come to find out, he caught a big ole piece of slag right in the end of his pecker, had to pull it out with the needle noses. That kind of laughter si bittersweet. It's freaking hilarious, but you cant seem to laugh about it without cringing!

Always wear long pants, and from now on, earplugs! (scarier than those earwigs)

-Jacob

madman
03-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I use clipboards when milling. One use is to hold the paperwork or drawing sketches. Second is hold that damn thing in front of that cutter thats wailing chips at yeah. Works well. Oh I remove the drawings when using my improvised chip shield or they burn.

mochinist
03-16-2005, 02:12 PM
I use clipboards also, and i always try to run the machine so that it is spraying the majority of chips away from me. I also have a piece of polycarb mounted on a magnetic swivel base that works real well. Sometimes you got to tough it out when those hot chips nail you, if you are hand feeding a finish pass you don't want to stop and leave a tooling mark. Oh yeah I have mentioned this before, never watch a cut while your mouth is slightly open, hot chips under the tongue don't feel real good.

wierdscience
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I have done the welding spatter sizzling in the ear thing three times,twice in one ance in the other.I have caught hot welding flux in both tear ducts(I only cry now when I drop a new reamer on the floor).

Hot chips down the shirt,no biggy.Now thou the one I really hate are the 6's and 9's that change color in mid air and stick to my face and or tongue http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif,I have nearly eliminated those by installing flip down shields on the lathe,gives me something to hide behind http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

halac
03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
When I was going tech school at night to learn how to use a mill I had an "experience" with a hot chip. I was taking some rather heavy cuts into a piece of steel and was throwing some largish 6's and 9's. You know the type. The one's that change from blue to a sort of straw color in mid air. One of these happened attach itself to the end of my nose. Not only did I feel it burn itself into my nose, I could smell the flesh burning and hear it sizzle. That was about 22 years ago. I still have a little bump on the end of my nose from that chip. I now make sure I use more oil or coolant to keep that from happening again.

Hal C.