PDA

View Full Version : Source for flat belts

JeffG
03-17-2005, 03:56 PM
My new-to-me 1950 South Bend 9A needed a replacement flat belt. I called Baltimore Belting Co., a real person answered, and I explained what I needed. They suggested that leather is expensive and quoted $19 (far less than I expected - I know one source that offers these at $40). They then recommended "transmission belting", which is made of rubber-impregnated cotton. "We'll make it today (that was Tuesday) and you'll have it Thursday."

Belt arrived today, its on the lathe, and appears to be perfectly satisfactory. It came clearly labeled for pulley side and direction, tracks fine, and the friction is comparable to leather.

I'm not in any way affiliated with the company, but I think they are a great source and recommend them to anyone needing flat belting.

Baltimore Belting Co.
766 E 25th St
Baltimore, MD 21218
410 338 1230

Al Messer
03-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. The flat leather blet on my 1943 Logan is starting to stretch and slip and will have to be replaced---one of these days.

andy_b
03-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Jeff,

is this a continuous belt, or is it connected at the ends in some fashion?

andy b.

JeffG
03-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Andy,

It's connected with the standard metal loop fasteners, with a plastic pin through the loops - I think it's called an "aligator clip" but I'm not sure that's the correct name.

I'm still messing with this lathe a lot, and didn't want a glued (continuous) belt. The minor clicking as the clip goes over the pulleys doesn't bother me at all.

Anzaniste
03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Toothed belts turned inside out work well also.