PDA

View Full Version : OT My son's new hand made guitar

shapeaholic
03-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Hello all:
I just had to share this!
My 17 year old son just tonight finished building a 6 string fretless guitar, from plans.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y45/shapeaholic/?action=view&current=Alexsbassguitar002.jpg

He did most of the work himself (with a little help from the old man)

It probably cost 3 times the price of a commercially available one, but the experience would have been cheap at double the price.

My smile is even bigger than his!!

Pete

[This message has been edited by shapeaholic (edited 03-16-2005).]

Ben Diss
03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I'd love to see it, but when I click the link I only get the AngelFire logo.

-Ben

shapeaholic
03-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Sorry the link to my webpage didn't work, so I've fixed it ( I think)

Pete

Tim Mehner
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM
That's really cool!!!!!

psomero
03-17-2005, 12:09 AM
looks great.

that is a BASS guitar though.

sorry, just a pet peeve of mine after playing bass for almost a decade...

madman
03-17-2005, 02:34 AM
That is one sweet looking Guitar. A friend of mine used to build them. He sold one to a world class blues player. Amazing what people make. Perhaps if ever in our area drop in and jam with my nephew a guitar gurué I will sit and drink moosehead beer and clap.

madman
03-17-2005, 02:34 AM
That is one sweet looking Guitar. A friend of mine used to build them. He sold one to a world class blues player. Amazing what people make. Perhaps if ever in our area drop in and jam with my nephew a guitar gurué I will sit and drink moosehead beer and clap.

zl1byz
03-17-2005, 04:31 AM
Thats a great picture Pete! I know nothing about guitar's. But it's great to see someone learning the enjoyment of making something themselves and that you were able to help. As you said cheap at twice the price. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John.

bolmas
03-17-2005, 04:37 AM
now he needs to find the cheapest supplier of quality parts and start doing custom made guitars to sell to his friends!

Your Old Dog
03-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Great job but now you got a problem. What to buy him for Christmas? A new axe or a Bridgeport !

I don't have a pet peeve against the bass, I can't play either and would give eyeteeth to learn. I have 3 but can't really play any!

Paul Gauthier
03-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Having no knowlege and no ability to play I must ask, Why fretless?????

------------------
Paul G.

andy_b
03-17-2005, 12:42 PM
i couldn't play a guitar if my life depended on it, but that one is VERY COOL!

andy b.

BWS
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
eff the guitar!Thats a fine lookin youngin(got four myself!).Seriously,spend the jack$ dad and get him right on another one!Great job.

decoy91288
03-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Why fretless bass. So guys like me that are (were) bassviol players can have fun too. Fretless makes for a more mellow sound, doesnt get the "rattle" of metal on frets, and gives the player infinite control of pitch. Besides - it's cool.

peter nap
03-17-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know anything about guitars Pete, but it looks good and it's wonderful to see the smile on his face. My kids are all grown now and I wish I had done more of that type of thing with them.

Enjoy it, they grow up fast.

psomero
03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Gauthier:
Having no knowlege and no ability to play I must ask, Why fretless?????

</font>

no, the question is WHY NOT?

honestly though, it gives you a mellower tone, infinitely adjustable intonation while playing and it's cool. i've always wanted to de-fret my old piece of crap korean bass i got in the 6th grade, but i haven't touched my good bass in atleast 6 months, so scratch that...

i need to wire up the new motor for my mill anyways...

IOWOLF
03-17-2005, 07:25 PM
A 6 string bass? is this new?

torker
03-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't know anything about bass guitars but it looks like you guys did a nice job there. Bet he learned a thing or two about patience also http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

decoy91288
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
A 6 string bass? is this new?</font>

Starting in 80's lots of 5 string basses were popular. It was just a natural step up to 6 string basses. It gives the guitar players a familiar string layout with the pitch of a bass. They've been fairly common for for at least 10 years or so.

darryl
03-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Nice job on the guitar. A friend of mine just finished building his own guitar, looks great and he's getting a kick out of playing it. My guitar project has been on hold for awhile now.
When in vegas last year I saw a 15 string bass. 5 groups of 3 strings.

wierdscience
03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Nice work!What wood is that,maple?

topct
03-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Good job, and it looks like he's put the much needed truss rod in. I have seen a couple of home made quitars that the quy left that out. They are now wall hangers.

------------------
Gene

shapeaholic
03-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the kind words!

The Bass was built on a budget, so we used inexpensive materials where we could. The neck is maple(from home depot) laminated with mahogany (from a couple of left over door jams) and the sides of the body are poplar.
The hardware was all bought on ebay, and was also budget priced.
The only full price items were the truss rod amd the strings.
We figured that we could upgrade the hardware if the thing worked out really well.
As it is, I expect the total bill would come close to $250-300 cdn. but I haven't been keeping close track.

Helping him has given me a real appreciation for shop teachers! Keeping my hands off and letting him make mistakes (then figuring out how to fix them) has been a real challange.

Cheers
Pete