PDA

View Full Version : IS there a flat preventitive for tires?

ibewgypsie
03-21-2005, 02:41 PM
www.synair.com (http://www.synair.com) has one but not for small tires/consumers. They offered to fill the wheelchair tires for free, but required to have them several days.

A friend with a wheelchair needs some help. Twisting the chair around will take the tire off the rim. (he's a large man) Some kind of hardening foam is what is needed.

I'd like the same thing for my lawntractor and hand truck tires..

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

MarkT
03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
This may not be a lot of help, but I saw an RC car show that dealt with tires coming off the rim. They took them off the rim, filled the tire with closed cell foam, then before they aired them up they put beads of superglue around both sides of the rim.

I would think that expanding foam would leave air pockets somewhere in the tire.

ERBenoit
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I am aware of "filled" tires on heavy equipment. I beleive, could be wrong, they fill them with calcium. How it is done, I do not know. I do not know if that process would suit your applications.

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't know what wheel chair tires look like, but I was thinking maybe you could run a bead of thin CA around the rim on both sides of each tire... I know some bike riders that glue their tires onto the rims to prevent roll overs but I don't know what the technique is, or what type of glue... CA might not be the right glue but that's what I would try if I didn't have anything to loose.

If you search the web, there are lots of bike sites that talk about gluing your tires.. Maybe that might help.

-3Ph

ibewgypsie
03-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Mark..

thanks.. I have thought of bead retention like on a drag car.. ever see all the self tapping screws around a rim?

The old Kawasaki Z1000's had a bolt in tire secure clamp.

The superglue is kinda closer for the wheelchair fix..

I sold a ford Flathead, went to load it, took my hand truck and picked it up and the tires came off the rims. NOW I don't know what that motor weighs, but I really didn't like that. Made me mad. I throwed the handtruck about fifty feet.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 03-21-2005).]

John Garner
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
David --

How similar is a wheelchair tire to a bicycle tire? High-performance bicylists (Is that spelled correctly? I know how to spell "biker", but I'd bet that you'd understand that word differently than I mean.) have used airless pseudo-tubes or tires for years with great success.

One vendor's website is airfreetires.com but a search engine will turn up others if you search for "air free tire".

John

mjydrafter
03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Start by calling a Goodyear or wingfoot tire center, ask them for wingfill. That's at least what they used to call it. It is a 2 part polyurethane (not really foam, it's more of a gelatin-like solid rubber). Even if they don't have it they should be able to point you in the right direction. They may be able to work with you, but the stuff needs to cure laying on thier sides. Most likely you'll have to pay a min, because the volume of a wheelchair tire will be small. great stuff for skid loaders, lawnmowers, and especially wheelbarrows

Steve Stube
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I know that some wheelchair tires will need to be smooth for hand mobility (others electric motor driven) but I think the Michelin TWEEL would take care and air leakage problems.

http://www.michelinman.com/difference/releases/pressrelease01102005a.html

Disclamer: Not an immediate fix.

[This message has been edited by Steve Stube (edited 03-21-2005).]

speedy
03-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Dave, I know how hard a heavy man might be on wheelchair tyres. I'm 105kgs or there abouts and I have to inflate my tyres to 55-60 psi or they have too much footprint and therefore too much resistance, but they give me a good upper body workout in that condition http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Do you think that it might be an option to go for solid tyres and concentrate your efforts on providing a form of suspension.
If your mate is a huge man then maybe large diameter motorcycle tyres?
I'm presuming that he uses a self propelled chair.
I'm used to my chair now, I can't always get to all sites but I can get there a heck of a lot faster than a pair of fully functioning legs.
We went to see "Cirque de soleil" the other week ( in the car, of course )with my invalid sticker on the windscreen. I asked the parking attendant where the parking for cripples was http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif.....she was taken aback...some people are so PC http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-21-2005).]

matador
03-21-2005, 08:39 PM
didn't the old stock car racers used to fill their tires with grass?i wonder if you need to mow it? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif.about the "airless" tires,i ve ridden a bike with those on,and it was hard work.they seem to increase rolling resistance to a high degree.i'd go with wider/bigger tires if at all possible,and forget the foam .if you ever have to take the tire of,you can chuck it.the foam bonds to the rubber,impossible to repair.

------------------
Hans

speedy
03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
a stuff up

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-21-2005).]

George Hodge
03-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Where I used to work,we sent the wheels and tires from a rubber tired road roller to Kansas City and had them filled with liquid rubber.They were terrible to change whenever they went flat before we did that.When the tires wore completely out,they cut the tire in half to get them off the rims. I kept the rubber from one tire thinking the chunk should be good for something. It works fantastic at cleaning my sanding and grinding belts.I've given 3/4 of it to friends.

wierdscience
03-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Dave,dunno about the wheelchair tires,but lawnmower and wheelbarrow tires are offered by Northern tool in a solid green foam construction,one piece tire and rim,no flats ever.They run about $50 for a wheelbarrow tire thou.

wierdscience
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
On second thought,how about some chumungus o-ring material glued up into a ring and snapped over the rim?Just a thought.

dhammer
03-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Why don't you just put tubes in the wheelchair, hand truck and wheelbarrow? Tubes are cheap, readily available and easy to install.

Peter S
03-22-2005, 06:10 AM
My brother uses Kik tyres, they are solid, can't go flat.
I tried Kik in Google, lots of hits.
Here is one site that explains some of the choices, not sure if it's good advice or not...
http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/sctires.html

ibewgypsie
03-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I think the Kik Tires are the way to go for a wheelchair and a big stout man.

No luck finding someone to fill the flat-foam locally.

David

Paul Gauthier
03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
David
Find a John Deere dealership they have a product that fills the tire completely with a black foam like substance, no more flats. Have been wanting to do the front wheels on my JD 750 but can't afford it now being out of work. Don;t know the cost but for a wheel chair it should not be too expensive. It also add wieght.