PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock way wipers

J Tiers
03-23-2005, 01:24 AM
I do a fair amount of drilling etc which requires moving the tailstock. I got pretty tired of worrying about the drill swarf etc on the ways, wiping off ways before moving back, forgetting to do that and cussing, etc.

So I made these the other day. I highly recommend it. They work great, using 3/16" white felt from Small Parts Inc. Well saturated with way oil, they lube the T/S sliding very nicely also.

I found that X-acto knives cut felt well if you cut thru the thickness in once chop.

Here the wipers are on the machine. Another pair on the back side, since I see crud back there also. What looks like a hole in the flat way wiper, actually is. It was an idea for oiling them. OK, but I didn't drill any more, it wasn't that good an idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/tswipe1.jpg

Closeup of one of the clunkier ones I made first. I put them on the backside where they won't get in the way nor look so ugly.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/tswipe2.jpg

I did the milling before cutting them off the stock. Made back-to-back, and cut apart on the mill with a slitting saw. I used a ball-end cutter just to get some compression on the felt , and to maintain some extra strength. Might have been just as well to use an ordinary end mill, but....

They are aluminum, so I wanted to err on the strong side. Turns out I could have thinned them considerably, but these will take some hard knocks and laugh.

dhammer
03-23-2005, 05:40 AM
Nice work and good idea! Perhaps if wipers had been installed on my 9" SB I wouldn't be trying to repair the .030 low condition.BTW, I use felt from old winter snow boots.

torker
03-23-2005, 07:39 AM
JT, I've had that on my "to do" list for too long now also. I'd like to do the same on my mill crossfeed table also. That is one of the things that erks me about my SB lathe. It's so easy to get chips under the tailstock. I was thinking of putting them on both ends because I get stuff piled up in the back also and always have to take the time to clean that out too before moving it back. I'm sure you hate that schreeching noise you always hear when you miss one http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

wierdscience
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Good idea!

bpsbtoolman
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
You guys are a little late on SB 9 tailstock way wipers. I installed them on my 9 50 years ago. But I also wipe the ways with an oiled paper towel before moving it. After 50 years only a small amount of wear. When I got my 10L it came standard with felt wipers on both front and back of the tailstock. Another feature of the 10L is ball top oilers that feed way oil directly on the ways between the wipers on the saddle. I got Gets oilers from MSC for less than a buck a piece.
Walt

torker
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
C'mon Walt...Geez, I would have got my diaper stuck on the toolpost trying to drill holes in the tailstock! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif And that is the only reason I haven't done mine yet!

J Tiers
03-23-2005, 09:38 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bpsbtoolman:
You guys are a little late on SB 9 tailstock way wipers.
Another feature of the 10L is ball top oilers that feed way oil directly on the ways between the wipers on the saddle. I got Gets oilers from MSC for less than a buck a piece.
</font>

Well, this one's a Logan http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

The "inside oilers" are a good mod also. I did that to the Logan a few years ago, and they have been great. Fill them up and the carriage is gliding for the whole work session.

WLW-19958
03-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi There,

You guys are a little late on SB 9 tailstock way wipers. I installed them on my 9 50 years ago.

Well, you beat me. I did it to my Logan about 15 years ago. Instead of making mine, I just ordered an extra set of wipers (and holders) for the saddle and mounted them to the tailstock base (front and rear). Because they are the same as the saddle wipers, it looks like a factory set-up.

I have been toying with adding the Gits Ball Oilers to my saddle but haven't gotten around to it yet. Too busy using the lathe.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

J Tiers
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Hmm, seems like they might have been out of stock for a while, since they apparently didn't have any as of 2 or 3 years ago.

I looked at the Logan site, and the ones there kinda looked like black plastic, can't tell from the pics. They look black, and that had me thinking ABS or the like.

They are also $40 a set.......plus wiper felt, at another $18...total about $55. I don't begrudge Scott Logan the cash flow, but......

In any case, the result of installing ones you buy, ones you make, or ones that fall out of the sky onto your lathe is good.

WLW-19958
03-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Hi There,

They are also $40 a set.......plus wiper felt, at another $18...total about $55. I don't begrudge Scott Logan the cash flow, but......

Well, fifteen years ago, it was $17.00 for the whole works. The metal holders were zinc(?) plated steel just like the ones on my saddle already; just a little newer looking. I don't know what they are supplying now. Or the price for that matter. Sorry about that chief!

By The Way, you did a nice job!

-Blue Chips-
Webb

[This message has been edited by WLW-19958 (edited 03-23-2005).]