PDA

View Full Version : Gawd I feel old.

rockrat
03-18-2005, 07:58 PM
And I aint that old.
Been driving the pickup lately due to the Mustang needing inner tie rods and I just bought new tires for it. I hate to rub the fronts down until it gets warm enough to do the tierod work. But it was 60ºF+ out today and I took the Mustang to the store.

So anyway, Im at a light that is the last light as two lanes merge to one on a limited access highway. As you can imagine, this 1/4 to 1/3 mile worth of road gets a bit of rubber left on it. I wasn't looking for a clutch drop but this camero pulls up to the right and a verry cute girl is sitting in the passanger side. She looked 18 if that. She said something to the driver, boyfriend I guess, and he didnt seem too happy with me. I didnt stare, honest. Well boyfriend takes the light and I dropped the clutch and watched them fall back slowly about halfway down the stretch. In the rear view mirror I vaguly see the girl pointing at the boy and it lood like she was laughing. I smiled thinking of how this happened to me in the past. But back then I was in the loosing lane.

So what gives? Why is it that ya get this urge to just tromp the gas when the engine of the next guy over revs? This isnt the rokrat of recent. This is the rcokrat of the past who didnt think about consiquences of ones actions.

And they looked so young. Not old enough to drive. And then at the store, all of the people looked much younger than I. Crap, I feel old.

I think I will go play with the lathe and try to forget. I wonder how far off the new sportscar is, or maybe a milling center with a 40 index tool changer. Better yet, a big lathe with a 50" swing! I need a beer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/extras/smile_lathe.gif

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 03-18-2005).]

egpace
03-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I know that feeling! We wear photo ID's where I work. When I first got mine, I asked the girl in the Human Resource Department why she put a picture of some scary looking old guy on my ID badge!

Evan
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Uh oh. Sounds like one mid-life crisis coming up. Careful you don't go buy a Corvette or something.

chief
03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
It's all good, I had a kid walk up to me out of the blue and commence to tell me that my 67 camaro ss with the 3.96 litre engine
was no match for his 3.5 liter mustang.
I popped the hood and told him "I'm old
and never learned the metric system, I only deal in inches all 396 of them", He was suddenly very confused and wandered away.

ibewgypsie
03-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Having lost my drivers license before, I understand very much what a moment of "not" thinking will cost.

Signed, yours truly another
"Adrenalin junkie"

PSD KEN
03-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Yep, my F-350 Diesel, with chip and exhaust, 6spd will give a lot of cars a fright, going rolling start, gotta get the turbo spooled.
Of course, I'm only 65, will cool it when I get old.
(No, I'm not in my second child hood, never left the first one)

Old Time
03-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I've stiil got the 1940 Ford coupe that I got in '62 when I was in High school and yeah it's a Hot Rod. That's like the money's under the hood. It keeps me smiling for days after I drive it.

speedy
03-19-2005, 02:37 AM
If your hormones are still capable of inducing teeraway youthful exhibitions then you aint ready for the bin just yet.
If you can still appreciate beauty then ditto also.
You're only as old as you want to be.
I'm 50 but I still believe that it is only the body that ages; the mind stays young. Talk to real elderly people, most of them are still young upstairs.

cheers, Ken

abn
03-19-2005, 03:04 AM
I love the romance of street racing, but around here they're seizing cars and scrapping 'em for the crime. Consequence of urban sprawl I guess, there's no boonies left to play around. Plus there seems to be a significant crowd that doesn't even bother to search out remote locations...

After my adventurous youth and taste in music as a kid, I never thought I'd be standing in judgement...but today's popular music and some teens have conspired to make me realize that I'm indeed getting older.

I think I'll take the Mustang to work this weekend though...it's been a while. Can't believe I have a spotless driving record now.

Your Old Dog
03-19-2005, 07:22 AM
You've just been a victim of genetic code. You're supposed to do that. Hell, if she was really busty you should still be fish-tailing down the highway and her knees should have gotten weak http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif That's the way we're all made! AIN'T IT GREAT !

BWS
03-19-2005, 07:55 AM
First off I'm a died in the wool bike freak.You could throw me the keys to a Porsche,Vette,Ferrari and given the choice would rather ride a beat up old rat bike.But in anycase......four years ago I bought my then 16 yrar old son a bone stock '91 Arrest-me-red Mustang GT for his B-day.EVERY person/parent/knowitall that we came in contact with thought it was the most irresponsible and crazy thing that I could've done.....yeah maybe.All I know is the car's still with us,only mods have been some serious supertuning of std. equip. and regular service items,and an aftermarket shifter.The boy drove the car exactly how it was meant to be driven,maybe could've checked the oil a little more but basically he took very good care of it and himself.Now the twins(boys) have just gotten their learners permit.It will be their car.I've showed them all I know about curve burnin here in the mnts. on the BRP.But the best part and reason for posting is about droppin the hammer on such cars.I've been taking the twins out when the rds. are wet and having them practice doin launches.Its easy on the car and they've gotten VG at the whole process.Even as much as I despise a "cage",gotta admit those old Fox bodies are a hoot!The fact that they're getting decent instruction,and getting it out of their system will assure that this ole 'Stang will still be pluggin along for years to come.Best of luck with yours,BW.

John Stevenson
03-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Know what you mean about getting and feeling old.
Woke up this morning feeling real rough, reached out of bed and got last nights paper.

Looked through the obituaries, my name wasn't there so I got up and went out into the shop.

feel a lot better now.

John S.

bob308
03-19-2005, 10:23 AM
my girlfriends son kept telling me about how fast the new front wheel drive hondas are.
i took him for a ride in my 66 vette. well he does not talk like that any more.
i also have a 85 and a 00 harley. i build race cars. i am 55

wierdscience
03-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I like the shirt-
"Remember when drag racing was dangerous and sex was safe?" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

peter nap
03-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Some of us never really grow up. That's a good thing ....I think. I look at all the people my age that did age and.....they're all old!

23 was my best age. I've kept it for 40 years past that birthday and think I'll still be 23 when they plant me!

Frank Ford
03-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah?

Last year a Stanford student came into my shop and bought an entry-level guitar. On completing the transaction, he asked my name, and then said, "My grandfather bought his first guitar from you."

"Thanks a LOT, kid!"

rockrat
03-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys, I feel better now. A beer and a bit of "Larry the cable guy" and I'm all right again. At least as right as I've ever been.

rock-on

Lynn Standish
03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
That's why I don't even think about any kind of "muscle" car anymore. I can't keep my foot out of it if it's there. I'm even guilty of smoking the tires on my S-10 daily driver at times. I can tell the reflexes aren't what they were, so I just don't let myself have too much available in the way of performance.

Charlie Rose
03-21-2005, 03:24 AM
1962 Studebaker half ton truck,66 350 hp 327 3.90 posi. I dont get them all but make belevers of most.Old but not done yet.

Anzaniste
03-21-2005, 05:02 AM
A 1925 English Frazer-Nash on 4.5 inch section tyres, chain driven 4 speed solid back axle, Model A engine with Cragar-Miller OHV cylinder head, cart springs, shockers wound up tight and weighing in at under 1000 pounds.
Now that is old but boy does it make you feel young and does it bring out the hooligan in a chap and it's street legal even here in England

bob308
03-21-2005, 07:14 AM
like nap says i will stop having fun when they nail the lid shut on the box. i refuse to grow old. will not own a suit and tie.

Peter S
03-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Azaniste,
Thats sounds like a neat car! Yes, that would cheer me up, going for a blast with a hot Model A engine and all those chains flapping around behind...
Got any photos?

Oh, er rockrat, didn't mean to ignore you - cheer up mate, may the cars and machine tools of your dreams come true...

Anzaniste
03-21-2005, 04:02 PM
How's this?
http://photos5.flickr.com/7040831_b4beb735d0.jpg

Anzaniste
03-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Oh that did'nt quite work I'm not sure how to put up a photoi. The url will show you whayt the Piglet is like.

jackb
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Rockrat,

The very fact that you took the challenge shows that you aren't that old. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif "Get'er done!"

Jack

rockrat
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Anzaniste:
How's this?
http://photos5.flickr.com/7040831_b4beb735d0.jpg</font>

I'd say sweeeeet! If she had wings, I think she'd fly.

Ha, get'er done. Rock-on jackb!

Anzaniste
03-22-2005, 05:00 AM
[This message has been edited by Anzaniste (edited 03-23-2005).]

Anzaniste
03-22-2005, 05:01 AM

Anzaniste
03-22-2005, 05:02 AM

Anzaniste
03-22-2005, 05:04 AM
Attempting take off

http://photos7.flickr.com/7104869_4ec4137490.jpg

[This message has been edited by Anzaniste (edited 03-22-2005).]

Yeah got it at last, still need to work out how to get rid of the other failures!!

[This message has been edited by Anzaniste (edited 03-22-2005).]

rockrat
03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
As far as your previous posts that didnt get going, you can always edit them by using the little http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//edit.gif icon and erasing everything in the edit box except 1 space.

Otherwise, do you have photos of the engine compartment? How much machining did you do on it? You look like a steely eyed missle man in that thing.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 03-22-2005).]

zman92020
03-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Don't you hate it when some kid thinks because you over 50, you must be stupid . . . So I head to the local auto parts store for a couple of items for my Ol Camaro . . . the 'wet behind the ears' kid at the parts counter, starts off by asking what make & model car, which he promptly enters into their computer . . . So he puts in Chevy, Camaro, 1969, and then asks for engine size . . . I reply 302, he looks at me like I'm stupid and then tells me Chevy never made a 302, and that he knows Chevy's backwards and forwards . . I know where this is going, so I ask him to please just enter '302' . . he does this and replies, "See, never any such thing as a Chevy 302" . . . He helpfully suggested I must mean 327 or 350 . . . and since all I wanted was a common radiator hose generic to all smallblock, I agree with him and say just enter 327 . . As I left, he was just shaking his head at the Ol Fart who didn't know what kind of car he had . . . . 1969 Z-28 DZ302

Joel
03-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I love it when I go in and ask for a set of R44TS spark plugs. The usual response is: “OK, what year, make, and model car do you have?”

When inquiring about parts for my 69 Z, I have been asked on several occasions: “Why do you have a Ford motor in your Camaro”. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

A fellow DZ 302 owner…