PDA

View Full Version : A unique machine I would like to build

lathehand
03-22-2005, 04:39 PM
It would be a weldment maker, except the weldment would be all weld.
Think of a XY gantry machine. The Z axis would be a falling table with a sacrificial plate mounted on it. The table would be serviced by two heads, one a wire feed welder, and the other a blanchard type grinding wheel. Your cad file would be broken up into layers, and Y axis passes. The welding head would lay a series of passes to complete the first layer, and the grinding head would remove say 25% of the height to get a smooth flat surface suitable for the next layer. The process would repeat until the object of your desire was completed.
After a normalizing heat treat the workpiece could be machined to its final size and shape.
Whatcha think?

ibewgypsie
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Add to it a scanning system, and it might work.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

jburstein
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
soooo....an FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) machine that uses welding wire instead of some plastic filler? It'd probably work, someone may already have done it.

I think there are better processes though, like laser sintering.

"Albrecht Röders GmbH & Co, Soltau, Germany, which displayed its combination high speed milling/laser machine. Metal buildup is controlled by laying down a layer of metal with its laser and then milling it flat, and laying down another layer of metal and repeating the milling/lasing cycle until the part is formed or repaired."

from http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/tooling/archives/1197/1197tu.html

lathehand
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I was wondering if the servos could be shielded enough from the EMR of the welder.

kennar
03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
About 5 years ago, on a visit to the University of Wollongong (Australia) Engineering Department I saw a machine which they were experimenting with which worked on this principle. They were trying to develop a machine for making prototypes to be used in metalcasting. Their machine was CAD / CAM controlled and used a MIG welder to deposit the layers of metal. Seemed very interesting at the time with lots of possibilities. I don't know of any further developments with UOW's machine.

J. R. Williams
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
You are a day late and a dollar short. I have a business friend who was bidding on a machine to fabricate large bore tubes by welding in a continuous manner.
JRW

nt1953
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Check out the video at this site for rapid protyping:
http://est.msfc.nasa.gov/ISFR/fab.html