PDA

View Full Version : Things that should be taught

wierdscience
03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Hearing of Spence's loss has got me thinking again about all the things we don't teach kids in school.

There was a story awhile back on the number of high school kids that get seriously injured in fast food resturant accidents.

Seems workplace safty would be something everyone should learn while in school.

We can find time and money to teach every other subject,but nothing on safty.How many kids even learn basic lifesaving techniques like CPR or the Heimlic?

Maybe poor workplace safty conditions could be avoided if we taught people to recognise them better?I was tuaght that safty was my responsibility,not my employer's,maybe we have gone down the wrong road by making goverment responsible instead of ourselves.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 03-24-2005).]

Arbo
03-24-2005, 09:25 AM
I fully agree! What has become of a country that allows people to sue and win against a fast food chain that serves hot coffee, or a lawn mower manufacturer for not warning that the unit isn't a hedge trimmer? There are avoidable accidents every day in this country. An awful lot of them are in the manufacturing sector where profit is more important than the safety of the workers. Really now...How different is that from the way the Chinese are doing things?

Your Old Dog
03-24-2005, 10:03 AM
No argument here.

My friends teenage son working in a small diner after school removed the french fry grease pan, set it down, lost his balance and stepped into the hot grease severly disfiguring his foot.

My dad raised me with the "what if" question constantly confronting me. He'd say things like, "what if that hood fell while you were working under there, what would happen?" It worked for me and I have a very good safety record and I don't write it all off to "luck". This is something kids can learn and it allows them to think in the process and make rational judgements.

I do wish there was a better way of preaching safety other than telling people just to stay home and stay in bed. Some folks get carried away with the safety subject and treat it like morality! Who can be the most moral!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 03-24-2005).]

snowman
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
My safety "teachings" have been mostly "learn from your mistakes. The scariest thing for me is moving heavy objects.

I had a van fall off a jackstand, I felt it moving and managed to get out quick enough. My mom was watching, she nearly had a heart attack.

On too many occasions I've seen loads settle.

Had a tractor plow through my car...idiot forgot to put it in low gear. I was with the farmer when we saw it start to move...I started to move towards it, he grabbed me by the shirt and said "nothing you can do now". It was an ugly car anyway. (I wasn't the one who forgot)

As far as the hot coffee, it's an interesting lawsuit. Go read about it... The reason McDonalds got sued is because they blatantly told the victim to go F herself. Yes, there are occasions when people just sue because they are, as my parents called it, "sue happy." However, most of them are warranted. A few years ago, my grandfather tripped and fell out in front of the bank. He tripped over some concrete that was pitched up four inches (broke his arm and wrist). He told the bank to fix it. Six months later, his lawyer told the bank to fix it. Six months after that, when nothing had been done, he sued and won. Same thing with the McDonalds coffee...I remember that every time my dad would go get McDonalds breakfast, first thing him and my mother would do is put an ice cube in it. Unfortunately, lawsuits are the only way to keep large corporations in check. THey no longer respond to "please fix this". Same thing with the McDonalds case, they had multiple occasions to settle out of court, one of the stipulations was that they lower the temperature of their coffee (it was kept at between 195 and 205 if memory serves).

Personally, I was taught CPR in high school. It was part of physed class. I dont know how I feel about it, as I barely remember doing it in that class. Do I want a bunch of hacks that "know" CPR acting like heroes? Screwing it up can have pretty dramatic consequences. Yes, it'd be nice to have that much higher a % that knows it, but I'm scared of that much higher a % that *THINKS* they know it because they spent a week on it ten years ago in high school.

Industrial accidents just plain suck. The ones I've seen were pure freak accidents. Much easier to deal with than knowing someone was irresponsible!

-Jacob

-Jacob

C - ROSS
03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Wierd
I don't think that you can teach safety, you
have to teach people to think for themselves.
The problem as I see it, is that we are teaching people to expect someone (ie. the goverment) to take care of them.
Ross

BWS
03-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Years ago I was very nonchalantly walking into a concenience store and slipped pretty badly on a rain slick outside entrance way.It had been painted with some super slicka$$ paint.It wsn't any big deal for me physically,but it did get me pretty hot.So I go in and speak to manager and tell him they ought to do something about it.They never did.And probably got into a lawsuit about it.

Wifey and I have been very serious about accidents at home.Especially kitchen stuff.You know,handles on the stove being oriented correctly.Being absolutely anal about hot surfaces,grease ect.When children are little,parents for the most part are concerned about safety.It is a shame we don't spend a few extra words as they get older concerning safety.My twins were in a very slight fender bender yes.(they were passengers),some girl cut into the boy's soccer team's caravan(3 cars)causing a chain reaction.Nuthin serious,but seeing as mine just got their learners we went over and over the details of the incident.Good topic!

egpace
03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
You need to learn while you're young!

GREAT TRUTHS THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:

1) No matter how hard you try, you can't baptise cats.
2) When your Mom is mad at your Dad, don't let her brush your hair.
3) If your sister hits you, don't hit her back. They always catch the second person.
4) Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
5) You can't trust dogs to watch your food.
6) Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.
7) Never hold a Dust-Buster and a cat at the same time.
8) You can't hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.
9) Don't wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.
10) The best place to be when you're sad is Grandpa's lap.

wierdscience
03-24-2005, 08:15 PM
What I am seeing more and more of are kids who have done basicly nothing around thier own house for thier entire lives.Mom and Dad never took time to teach them anything about work or what to expect when they get that first job.

The result is they end up in situations where there are 40 gallon vats of 600* oil(McWhopper),meat slicers,forklifts(every Walmart has one)tire machines etc etc and most likely don't see the danger.

egpace
03-24-2005, 08:43 PM
The problem is everyone is trying to raise kids when they should be trying to raise adults.
Ed

Peter S
03-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't think you can take the self-taught safety idea too far.

I was an apprentice with a company that was very safety consious, and they certainly taught me a lot.

There is a lot to be learnt about the safe use of machine tools, presses, repair of machinery etc - I can't think of any better way than be taught this on the job.

Probably the most important factor in this was that the company was 100% behind the safety programme (it saved them money by keeping them on a lower accident levy rate payable to the government, the rate set by the number of accidents).

Therefore safety becomes part of the workplace culture, there is no loss of face in "being safe", rather, it becomes normal.

(Likewise, it is possible to have similar cultures of quality workmanship, tidiness etc which become accepted standards in one workplace, and completely unknown in another).

This ment that when I took my turn as workshop safety person, I was able, as an apprentice (admittedly, heart in mouth), to suggest to the supervisor of the maintainance shop that something he was doing was unsafe, and be able to talk it over and reach agreement, no loss of face for him, no problems for me.

I think the essential component was that the attitude to safety came from the top and was supported without question. It was taught (regular safety meetings with films, slides, guest speaker etc plus opportunity to bring up specific problem areas).

I now work in a place where safety is given only token support, I can see dangerous practices which go unremarked, chances are taken, there is no safety culture or attitude ingrained throughout the company.

[This message has been edited by Peter S (edited 03-24-2005).]