PDA

View Full Version : Dorian tool post holders

jpryan
03-21-2005, 02:00 PM
my quick change tool post is an enco brand wedge type and I want to purchase a 5C collet holder for it and the only brand that I can find is the Dorian will it interchange with the aloris type tool posts?

IOWOLF
03-21-2005, 02:19 PM
IT should not be a problem.

old_dave
03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Aloris also makes a 5C tool holder. On the Dorian 5C tool holder the distance between the bottom of the block and the centerline of the collet is 1 1/8 inch. If the distance between the top of your compound and the spindle centerline on your lathe is less than this (as is the case, e.g., with the South Bend light and heavy 10's)you'll need to jigger the toolpost around so the toolblock clears the edge of the compound in order to get it low enough. You may find this inconvenient (I did). On the Aloris the distance from the bottom of the toolblock to the collet centerline is 15/16" so this is less of a problem. These distances are for the "A" series toolholders.
David

------------------

precisionworks
03-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Good point, David. When I made a holder to mount a 1 3/4" boring bar on my SB-10K, it had to hang over the side of the compound to get the cutter on center.

BTW, what operations are you doing with a 5C on the compound?

jpryan
03-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Thanks David I purchased the Item and found this to be true on my S/B heavy so I milled the bottem back about a half inch and .125 deep then cleaned it up with a surface grinder and re-blue'd works fine now and looks factory

old_dave
03-25-2005, 12:46 AM
jpryan: I'm sorry I was a little late with my reply, it might have saved you some work. But it sounds like you took care of things handily.

Precisionworks: There was a certain amount of being a tool freak operating with me. I had a set of 5C collets and an Aloris tool post so it seemed like something that allowed me to use the two together was a natural. Anyway I use it mostly for holding (roundshank) boring bars. Perhaps not the most rigid way of holding them, but rigid enough for my work, especially for the smaller sizes.
David

precisionworks
03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
David,

That's a really good idea! I've never seen that before but it sure makes sense, especially for those little solid carbide bars. Sure beats making a holder bushing for each one.