PDA

View Full Version : Phase II 8" rotary table

billbt888
03-24-2005, 05:27 PM
I just got this baby and read the instructions. Oops. I just hope the folks who built it are better at their jobs than the people who wrote these three pages. Grammar and spelling aside, the numbers don't seem to match the drawings and the instructions are really minimalist. I may have lots more questions as I plunge forward, but for now I have a real simple one: I need to fill the base with oil. It has an oil level glass on the side, but no indication of what is full! What oil do I use to fill it with and how full? I'd rather put in too much, but worry about leaking. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
Bill

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Not that it makes much difference, I put in Mobil DTE24 Light/Medium Hydrolic oil..

Sounds like your reading a Chineese manual that was converted to English by someone that used http://babelfish.altavista.com/ Babelfish language translater.

-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 03-24-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I've translated your original message:

I just got this baby and read the instructions. Oops. I just hope the folks who built it are better at their jobs than the people who wrote these three pages. Grammar and spelling aside, the numbers don't seem to match the drawings and the instructions are really minimalist. I may have lots more questions as I plunge forward, but for now I have a real simple one: I need to fill the base with oil. It has an oil level glass on the side, but no indication of what is full! What oil do I use to fill it with and how full? I'd rather put in too much, but worry about leaking. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
Bill

From English to German:

Ich gerade erhielt dieses Baby und las die Anweisungen. Oops. Ich hoffe gerade, daß die Völker, die es errichteten, an ihren Jobs als die Leute besser seien Sie, die diese drei Seiten schrieben. Grammatik und Rechtschreibung beiseite, die Zahlen scheinen nicht, die Zeichnungen zusammenzubringen und die Anweisungen sind wirklich Minimalist. Ich kann Lose haben mehr Fragen, während ich vorwärts tauche, aber für jetzt mich ein reales einfaches haben Sie: Ich muß die Unterseite mit Öl füllen. Es hat ein Schmierölstandglas auf der Seite, aber keine Anzeige über, was voll ist! Welchem Öl pflege ich, es mit und wie zu füllen voll? Ich würde eher mich in zu viel setzen, aber mich sorge um das Auslaufen. Jedes mögliches Info würde geschätzt. Dank, Rechnung

And from German to French:

Je recevais justement ce bébé et lisais les instructions. Oops. J'espère justement que les peuples qui l'ont établi, * leurs emplois en tant que personnes vous qui ont écrit ces trois pages sont mieux. La grammaire et l'orthographe de côté, les nombres ne semblent pas rassembler les dessins et les instructions sont vraiment des Minimalist. Je peux avoir des lots plus de questions, tandis que je plonge en avant, mais pour maintenant un simple vrai vous m'avez : Je dois remplir le dessous avec l'huile. Il a toutefois aucune annonce plus d'un verre d'état d'huile de graissage sur le côté, ce qui est plein ! Quelle huile maintiens-je le remplir et comme pleinement ? Je placerais plutôt moi dans * beaucoup, mais moi assurent autour de l'arrêt. Chaque info possible serait estimée. Grâce, facture

And from French back to English:

I precisely received this baby and read the instructions. Oops. I precisely hope that the people which established it, with their employment as people you who wrote these three pages are better. The grammar and the orthography on side, the numbers do not seem to gather the drawings and the instructions are really of Minimalist. I can have batches more questions, while I plunge ahead, but for now a simple truth you have me: I must fill the lower part with oil. It has however any advertisement more than one glass of lubricating oil state on the side, which is full! Which oil maintenances I to fill it and like fully? I would rather place me in at much, but me ensure around the stop. Each possible information would be estimated. Grace, invoice

How does your original message sound now? Kinda like those instructions, huh? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-3Ph

lunkenheimer
03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I filled mine until it was in the middle of the glass when the table was lying horizontally. I used Vactra 2 based on a SWAG (slow speed, high load, want to avoid stick-slip) like a lathe carriage.

p.s. SWAG means 'scientific wild @ss guess'

MikeG
03-24-2005, 07:11 PM
I have a 6" Phase II. I like the table but after filling with Mobile Dte as suggested above, to the half window level, and placing the table in its Vert. position for storage, I found a large oil slick!! I called Phase II and told them about the leak - response was "don't worry, just fill it till it doesn't leak! All you need is to have the gears covered, not submerged, with oil" Hmmmm...

MikeG

billbt888
03-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Three phase: that was priceless. Other folks: thanks for the input. I'll just fill with oil and wipe up the leaks till it leaks no more.
Bill

andy_b
03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
3Ph,

that was hilarious. i am going to use that for the next emails i send at work.

Bill,

you said "I'll just fill with oil and wipe up the leaks till it leaks no more." it's supposed to leak. when it stops leaking it means it's low and needs to be refilled. at least that is how MY stuff works. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

andy b.

billbt888
03-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Andy B,
I've figured out that when vertical, the bottom edge of the table is as high as oil will go before it starts pouring out between the base and rotary part. When turned horizontal, that same level should be enough to keep all the workings lubricated. Looking through the level glass in the vertical position the oil is about half way up. And if you overfill, it doesn't just leak, it really does pour out. You're right tho, a little leakage can always be expected.
Thanks for your input.
Bill

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-25-2005, 01:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by billbt888:
Andy B,
I've figured out that when vertical, the bottom edge of the table is as high as oil will go before it starts pouring out between the base and rotary part. When turned horizontal, that same level should be enough to keep all the workings lubricated. Looking through the level glass in the vertical position the oil is about half way up. And if you overfill, it doesn't just leak, it really does pour out. You're right tho, a little leakage can always be expected.
Thanks for your input.
Bill</font>

Or, in other words http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Andy b counted me, if the vertical and niedrigerere edge of the list is so high, since the oil will go that it begins, the rotary part between the basis to discharge and. If turned horizontal that even the level, which became enough for all functioning must to hold lubricate. The view by the level glass in the vertical position is the oil to put up from half. And if you fill up too, do not only flee it, really discharge it. They are straight tho, can you, which is always expected leakage. The thanks for your input. The calculation

Forrest Addy
03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
My better quality pre-owned oil rotary table has no oil sight glass and it came without instructions so I fell back on first principles:

The table has a two little setscrrews in the top that on investigation led (1) to the flat way bearing and (B (sorry - Car Guys influence) to the center pivot. In these I run a squirt of Vactra when I use the table and once a day whne it's in continued use.

There is also a filler plug and a try plug on the worm side. Here I ran in enough Vactra to appear in the try plug hole and plug them both. I eyeballed the oil level as being high enough to wet the worm but not high enough lube the worm bearings. So when I handle the table I make sure that I tilt it back and forth to slosh the worm side oil to wet the bearings. They're ball bearings. Since I use the table only a few days at a time the residual oil remaining from the token slosh is adequate for the duration.

Rotary table are light duty, low duty cycle applications except if driven from a feed attachment when used to feed heavy cuts. Clean oil has to be present in the working parts but the volume of flow and complete circulation isn't vital.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 03-25-2005).]