PDA

View Full Version : My computer keeps crashing????

Alistair Hosie
03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
about five minutes into operation my computer keeps crashing and has to be completely restarted any ideas ???Alistair

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
about five minutes into operation my computer keeps crashing and has to be completely restarted any ideas ???Alistair</font>

Can you describe the operation? What parts are you cutting into, and what parts have you removed? It might be going into shock.. You should not be operating on your computer with the power on http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-3Ph

[This message has been edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb (edited 03-24-2005).]

Alistair Hosie
03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Listen laddie if anyone is going into shock here in the highlands it's your old pal AL
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

aboard_epsilon
03-24-2005, 07:07 PM
you may have been invaded by trojans .
these jump into your computer from some sites .
never click the "X's" in the corner of pop-up boxes, as this activates some of them......always close from the box at the bottom of the screen or from task manager.
do an add-aware scan.
this will clean them out for you.
all the best.mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 03-24-2005).]

aboard_epsilon
03-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I've just sent you a program Alistair .....instal it and scan.
all the best..mark

cuemaker
03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Probably a software issue. But if not, your cpu could be getting to hot and shutting down. But now that I think about it, 5mins is a long time if that was the problem.

nevermind. software issue. spyware, virus corrupted registers maybe.

Do you get an error message or does it just shut off?

[This message has been edited by cuemaker (edited 03-24-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-24-2005, 07:23 PM
If you think you've been invaded by a trojan, this is the best way to remove it:

http://www.trojancondoms.com/info_center/condom_use/images/Squeeze_3.gif

snowman
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I do believe those are installation directions for a trojan.

If not I've been doing it wrong.

*nervous*

"is there a bun in the oven? mmm...buns...I'm hungry..."

-Jacob

Your Old Dog
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Alistar, When mine starts to act screwy I take it out to the compresser in the garage and blow out the dust bunnys in the heat sinks and fan blades.

When I consulted with the guys at work they told me not to run too many usb devices at the same time as these can play hell with the power supply.

Good luck,
Ray.........

Carl
03-24-2005, 10:00 PM
When I have problems I make sure I have the latest Windows updates and the latest norton virus definitions. Then clear all history of websites visited, run a virus scan, and defrag the hard drive. I read a while back about someone having real problems and it turned out to be the CMOS battery was about dead.

happy02
03-24-2005, 11:41 PM
My deepest condolences! The same thing happened to me reciently when I tried to install a new printer and my usb ports were screwed up. I solved the problem by purchasing a new computer and letting my son repair the old one. It saved me no end of swearing! I'm now happily using my new printer and he's wondering whether he'll remain in the will...

Alistair Hosie
03-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Happy I am too lazy to buy a new one this would involve too much hassle to re do all my stuff I have saved it may come to that in the end.
Cuemaker no warnings just shuts down it seems to be a bit better I wonder if it's overheating as it is staying on a bit longer about an hour sometimes other times twenty minutes Alistair

KENZ
03-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Alistair,

If it is shutting down after being on for an hour or less check the power supply fan. Turn on the PC and see if is spinning. They can get gummed up and quit or turn really slow without any warning.

If the PC has been off for a while and the power supply fan is spinning when you first power it on, wait a few minutes and check it again. Usually its when the bushing get warmed up again the fan quits.

The next step would be to take the cover off and look at the system board. If the PC isn't on, power it back on and make sure the fan on the CPU is working.

Unfortunetely the new Korgo virus is out there running rampant. Had few PCs get it here at work. I no sooner got XP and Norton AV installed on a couple new machines and got a warning that Norton detected and cleaned it out.

I'm not sure what its affect is on PCs that don't have the latest security patches and
AV software installed. I haven't had a chance to read about its payload yet.

Old Dog's post is a good suggestion too. If you have some USB devices attached, disconnect them and see what happens.

Ken

Alistair Hosie
03-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys will try that over the weekend regards Alistair

plm
03-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Alistair,

Its hard to peg these type of problems.

But, when I encounter this type of problem, the first thing I would do is swap the power supply with a known good one. More times than not, it corrected the problem.

Another thing to try: To eliminate any software gremlins, try powering up the computer in setup mode and just let it sit (i.e. don't let it boot the OS from the drive). If the problem persists, it adds more to the speculation about the power supply or, something overheating, etc.

Good Luck,

plm

John Stevenson
03-25-2005, 06:12 PM
PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL YOU TIGHT WAD

wierdscience
03-25-2005, 09:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL YOU TIGHT WAD</font>

I was going to suggest he keep pedaling,but that will suffice http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif