PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Aluminum Wheels

Tuckerfan
03-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Okay, I have managed to destroy two thirds of the wheel (as well as two thirds of the lugnut) around a frozen lugnut, and after removing all the other lugnuts, jacking up the car, and beating on the wheel with a five pound sledge and an iron pipe for the better part of an hour, I've come to the realization that the wheel has bonded itself to the hub. I even tried driving the car a few feet with all the lugnuts loose to see if that would free it, but no luck. How do I get this &$&%^ing wheel off my car so I can put the spare on and be mobile again?

[This message has been edited by Tuckerfan (edited 03-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Tuckerfan (edited 03-20-2005).]

John Stevenson
03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Park it round at IBEW's place.
The wheels would soon be off it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

egpace
03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Tuckerfan,
Heat? The aluminum should expand at different rate than the steel & hopefully pop off. Worth a shot. Watch out for fire though if you've used liquid wrench, or another petroleum base compound on it.
Good luck.
Ed

kenlambert
03-20-2005, 10:09 PM
it sounds like it may be a ford product ?

ibewgypsie
03-20-2005, 10:24 PM
NOW JOHN: I haven't had anything stolen in quite a while.

Pulling the wheel:

I put a loop of tow chain around the wheel, back up about ten feet and start whipping the chain like a bull whip. The impact of the chain will snap the wheel loose.

Usually it don't take that much. Sometimes the wheel can be loosened by tapping with a brass hammer.

Tuckerfan
03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kenlambert:
it sounds like it may be a ford product ?</font>
Nope, it's a Pontiac. Had it been a Ford, it no doubt would have disintegrated by now.

precisionworks
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Plasma Axe

Acetylene Wrench

Failing that, BFH

jimfun
03-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I had the same exact problem with a ford of mine. The damn wheels would not come off at all. Finally used a 10 inch wheel puller. After you get it off put never sieze on the contacting hub so it won't re-stick. I learned this from experience. It will re-stick.

Stanko
03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Just loosen one nut maybe one turn. Get your wife to drive to the mall, dont tell her what you are doing. If something will go wrong it will be when your wife is driving. the wheel will just fall off, probably before she gets out the driveway.

Evan
03-21-2005, 03:30 AM
Stanko,

Yeah, sure. It will happen in the absolute least convienient place.

David,

Nothing stolen lately? What, in the last 48 hours??? Seen your dog lately?

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-21-2005).]

merf23
03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
that happened on my fther's ford truck.. We put a salamader heater pointing on the wheel for about 10 min and it came right off

Tuckerfan
03-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Update.

I gave up, called a wrecker to come out and look at the car and haul it to a tire place to get it professionally repaired. The tow driver came out, took one look at the car and said, "I ain't never seen nuthin' like that before. I ain't touching it."

So, I got a friend to help me. It took us an hour and a half and the use of a six foot prybar to get the thing off, but I'm mobile again.

tattoomike68
03-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Aluminum Wheels are a PITA, I needed a BFH to get the POS off.

I had the car fall off the jack (while beating the tire with 4x4 wood post) and the wheel did nothing.

I say bore the center hole out .005- to .010 use a grinder if you have to.