PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove an armature from the shaft

Peter Sanders
03-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi

I have the mechanical remains of my burned out German made AEG hammer drill.

A quality HD drill chuck on the end of a two speed gearbox with 10:1 and 27:1 gear ratios. The input shaft to this gearbox does of course have the armature on it.

I would like to remove the armature from the shaft so that a can configure some alternate form of drive to the gearbox.

I don't know how armatures are "attached" to these shafts or whether the shaft might have a larger solid core.

Before I "hack" into it is there any advice available out there on the best method of armature removal? It would of course be most convenient if I could press it off.

Regards

Peter

CCWKen
03-24-2005, 12:30 AM
On the few gear motors that I've been messing around with, I just cut the motor shaft (with gear) to have a stub long enough to extend through a fabed bearing plate and install a pulley or gear.

But, you can also PRESS the whole shaft out of the armature. The shaft is usually knurled at the center.

precisionworks
03-24-2005, 10:50 AM
They usually press off pretty easily. I use a Dake model 1 1/2 (three ton capacity) and they go without a lot of fuss.

Richard Hanley
03-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I have found that they press one direction well but not the other. The laminations sort of lock in. You can press them thru but not the other direction. Richard

Col Mckee
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi! I have an AEG PH350 Hammer drill that trashed the commutator bearing a few months back and partially melted the case. I took it apart and salvaged the remains of the bearing but have not proceeded with any repairs. The rest of the tool is in good working order Perhaps we could work a deal?

Peter Sanders
03-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi

Thank you for the replies. I will try to press off the armature. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Col Mckee:
Hi! I have an AEG PH350 Hammer drill that trashed the commutator bearing a few months back and partially melted the case. I took it apart and salvaged the remains of the bearing but have not proceeded with any repairs. The rest of the tool is in good working order Perhaps we could work a deal?
</font>

Col, I would be happy to help if possible. I am located in Western Australia. I have the end bearing and it seems ok. I do not have any other pieces except for the bits I want to keep. I discarded the case and electronics as there were no longer useful (on a non working drill). My drill is over 20 years old so I don't know if the bearing will be suitable. If you email your bearing's specs I'll compare with the end bearing I have. If it's the same I can post it to you.

Regards

Peter

Col Mckee
03-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Peter: Thanks for the offer of bearing. My case has partially melted down and I was hoping to find someone who could use all or part of the remains.