PDA

View Full Version : I can see the top of my lathe again!

rockrat
03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok, thats it. I just couldn't stand it any more. I have had all sorts of stuff laying on top of the headstock of the lathe. Not junk, but chuck keys, allen keys, files and the such. Time for a tool holder of some sort.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/project1/IMG_0729.jpg

Ok, now I feel better.
What do you do with the tools for your lathe? HSM has had some cool tool holders that readers have made in the past.
rock

nheng
03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
The chuck key is the only thing that sits in the top tray now. Everything else has gone into drawers in a rolling tool cabinet. A drawer for qc toolholders, one for chucks, one for small hand tools, allen keys, etc. One drawer for 5C collets. One large bottom drawer has the faceplate, collet closer when not in use, driver plate and more. It's been working out great so far. I got tired of cluttered shelves but others might want quicker access to everything at once. Den

madman
03-26-2005, 06:05 PM
i JUST LEAVE EVERYTHING ON TOP OF MY LATHE. i ALSO LEAVE EVERYTHING ON TOP OF MY TAILSTOCK. i HAVE A TRAY TOP LATHE. i ALSO BUILT A WOODEN THING THAT FITS OVER THE WAYS. tHIS IS ALSO REALLY FULL OF STUFF AND ALSO MILL STUFF. i DONT HAVE ROOM.

tattoomike68
03-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I have noticed the older I get the more I want everything in its place and put back when Im done,not that I do it up preaty but I know how I like my "stuff" heap.(like madman)

Habits are funny, in a lathe shop with 10 guys, we would keep our chuck keys(all the same, almost) but any other key would feel weird.

J Tiers
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Heck, all my "grabbit" tools for the lathe either are in the chip pan at the T/S end, or are on a small table to the H/S end. Wrenches and t/s chuck keys in the pan, spindle chuck keys on the table.

Just a habit, I have no idea why the difference. The spindle chucks are in a cabinet at the T/S end, but the t/s chucks are in drawers at the H/S end.....whatever.

vinito
03-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I keep mine in front of the lathe on the floor so there's nowhere for them to fall.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif