View Full Version : Photo: Bellanca Aircraft Shop Circa 1930

03-24-2005, 03:48 PM

03-24-2005, 06:14 PM
What is that string that seems to be running everywhere??

Rob http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

03-24-2005, 06:35 PM
I would guess it is an open day or sale at that place and the string stops people going places the owners don't want them to go....I see it at auctions all the time...

Great picture...

Michael Moore
03-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Notice the power hammer mounted on the side of the column going up to the roof? Nice!


03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael Moore:
Notice the power hammer mounted on the side of the column going up to the roof? Nice!


Plannisher http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

The strings layout the course for the Grand prix races later that day http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
The strings are for the tin can phones!

Michael Moore
03-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I suppose that could be just a planisher, but it sure looks a lot like a Pettingell or Yoder power hammer for the upper mechanism and the lower anvil.


03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Yep,Plannisher?Planisher?(seen it spelled both ways)
Reason I know is we had one twice that size at work.
Same identical construction,but free standing through the aid of an H-beam column and heavy fabricted base.
Ours was newer,a ball bearing unit with a v-belt drive.
It had a 3/16" mild steel capacity,we used it for the odd job,but later took it out of service,it made enough noise to raise the dead.
It sat around for ten years or better and we finally sold it for $300 as I remember.

I care nothing for a plannisher,but a power hammer I would starve for http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

03-24-2005, 09:45 PM
i was wondering what that thing on the column was. so it's a planisher.

how about the tiny horizontal mill next to it. i'd give my eye teeth for one of those little cuties.

andy b.

03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
How about that stiff arm drillpress on the opposite side of the column?

Ahhh...what the old machines we see today looked like new and un-fornicated http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Oooh...oooh! Foot shear behind the planisher! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 03-24-2005).]

03-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey Carl, thanks for posting these images for us....it's always cool to see this stuff.


Michael Moore
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
The folks over at the metalshapers forum seem to be leaning towards identifying that tool on the column as a Quickwork power hammer.

wierdscience, I'm wondering if we are using the same term for different things. A planisher is used to give light blows for smoothing, and not really for doing much shaping like a hammer. Something that you might use for planishing 3/16" thick steel is going to be able to hit hard enough to do a lot of shaping on 16g steel or aluminum.

The "power hammers" I've been seeing have been things like Yoders and Pettingells that are used for aviation/autobody sheetmetal, and the "planishers" are things like the CP and homebuilt pneumatic rivet gun tools which work fine for smoothing 16g but don't shape as much or as quickly as a power hammer. If at your shop you were doing a lot of forming of plate and really heavy sheet then something that you used for planishing might well have been what everyone doing lighter gauge work uses as a hammer for forming.


is a CP-style planishing/forming pneumatic hammer


has photos of Fay Butler with his Yoder power hammer working on .093" copper.


03-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Could the string be from pre saftey glasses days so the workers can find their way to the smoko room at breaks?

03-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Michael,the way I learned it to be is both of the items fit in the same category.The one we had would do anything from .006" all the way to .1875" thick.

If you look at the picture the bottom anvil is ajustable up and down.Adjusting it up gives more pressure on a hit and down lightens it up a bit.
Ours had a 14" radius hammer and a 24" radius anvil,both were about 4" square.
I once made a set of niffty stainless baskets for hanging scales out of 22 ga.316,real nice.

I did also notice the effect is similar to using an English wheel,the more you strike a location the faster and more radical the forming.

It could be a confusion of terms too though.To me a power hammer is a 1500#+ machine for hot forging,but I have heard them called trip hammers,tredle hammers and drop forges,although I think that last one isn't quite right either.

Anyway,the one we had was identical in costruction to the one pictured and the factory nameplate said plannisher,It was a Babcock&Hastow if I remember right.

American English strikes again http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Michael Moore
03-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Maybe this is what you think of as a power hammer?



[This message has been edited by Michael Moore (edited 03-26-2005).]

03-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes,but this is more my speed-


One of these would fit my shop nice http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif