PDA

View Full Version : Page with good tips on Babbiting bearings

wierdscience
03-27-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.anvilmag.com/smith/011f2.htm

John Stevenson
03-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Funnily enough there is a post on Don's page at PM on babbit bearings.
Here's the link.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/babbitt/babbitt.html

Thanks to Mike Henry.

ibewgypsie
03-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Heard of people using Silicone hi-temp for a dam with backup of clamp. Ya ever heard of that?

Power hammers are a going thing right now, every wanna-be chopper builder wants one with a english wheel to impress thier friends.

Sure wish I had a iron-pouring friend in a foundry. They priced me right out of the notion there in Chattanooga.

David

ibewgypsie
03-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I used to see race engines run with a button machined into the piston skirts. WHEN the bore wore you machined new buttons. These motors were torn down every five races and the teflon skirt buttons hardly ever replaced. Cylinder wear was non-existient nearly. We were running single compression ring arias dome pistons back then. I remember a chevy motor that was running so tight on the overhead clearance it put the piston size-part number onto the head in carbon. Shaved heads, decked block, angle cut intake, Aluminum rods, light pistons, shaved aluminum flywheel, multi-plate small diameter clutch, 265 crankshaft (small counterweight) and running 60 over 283 block. It'd rev so fast you had to really watch it.
We were running 6.13 ratios back then, races were ran in second gear of a 3 speed. Speeds were somewhere around 112-120 w/85 mph average. 1/4 mile dirt oval.

What I was getting at? I wonder how the castable machineable plastics would work in a babbit situation? they are good to 600 degrees, less than 1% shrinkage and rockwell hardness of 93.

pete913
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Good info. Gingery's book on babbeting is also pretty good. Before I started my present job I knew nothing about it, but we have calls for it sometimes on industrial bearings, so it's a good skill to have.