PDA

View Full Version : Another new member

kmccubbin
03-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I've been lurking for a few weeks and figured I might as well say hi. This board certainly has a lot of interesting characters, the threads are most entertaining (helper stands on clean spot of floor, chinese gizmo's...)

I've been puttering with lathes for the last 15 years or so, mainly to support my automotive habit. I had a subscription to HSM for several years, but other things kept getting higher priority. Now that I'm rid of her and financially recovered, I decided to get serious. Bought an Enco 9 x 42 mill on Ebay, then started looking at my old Logan 10 x 24 lathe. I never really set it up, just assembled the pile of parts and started making chips. So I make a test cut... 0.015" taper in 8" with the work held only in the chuck (so that's why the drill bits act funny...). Ok, it's time to build a decent bench, with drawers, rigid enough to level the bed. It's almost done now, and I'm really looking forward to having all my tooling arranged. I've been using the "Chronological Organizing System" (a pile, most recently used stuff on top).

As I get a little more involved with the mill, I'm liable to need some help. I'm glad to know there's a friendly place where a moron can ask a stupid question and get all the abuse he deserves and a helpful answer as well.

Kerry
(San Antonio, Tx)

precisionworks
03-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Kerry,

Welcome! Sounds like you've come to the right place.

Post some pics. I would if I knew how.......

------------------
Barry Milton

tattoomike68
03-27-2005, 05:01 PM
you might search the threads about leveling a lathe and truing the headstock and dialing in the tailstock but for unsupported turning .015 in 8" is not bad at all.

I dont know if you have been to the "other board" some good folks over there too.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/

good luck and have fun.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 03-27-2005).]