PDA

View Full Version : mig help



bspooh
03-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Hey Joel, I tried calling you but you didn't answer, maybe its too early..sorry...

Question: I have a big steel welding table and I want to mig weld some parts that I was going to set on the table to weld..Will my whole table be "energized"? If I have equipment on it that is plugged in, will I ruin it? Will I get shocked if i touch the table while welding?

I am a complete novice..This will be my first time mig welding..

thank,s
Brent

Arbo
03-28-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm not Joel, but I think I can answer your questions. I have a table with a recepticle attached directly to the table. I commonly keep grinders, saws, etc plugged in while welding, and have never ruined anything. The table will be energized while welding, but shocks are not a concern as long as appropriate safety measures are followed. The welding current will take the most direct path to ground, which is your work lead. Wear good gloves, don't stand in a puddle of water, and keep your clothing dry. You'll be fine.

bspooh
03-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply...

I didn't mean that I only wanted Joel to answer, I just wanted him to know that I tried to call him...

brent

klla
03-28-2005, 04:29 PM
i`m A "joel" but prolly not the joel you wanted!
good rule of thumb is to ground as close to the actual weld position as possible....start the weld on the grounded pc, if welding an ungrounded pc to a grounded pc.......
example; clamping your ground onto your trucks bumper and then welding on an ALT. bracket is a good way to fry diodes,ecm etc. i biult an entire welding rig,flatbed w/coped in workboxes, material rack, bottle rack and so on a computer controlled vehicle w/out frying my ECM, simply by grounding to the work directly.....should work as well for your shop table

------------------
it never hurts to look
unless i`m welding!!!!

My Webshots Page (http://community.webshots.com/album/51872821KYjlSY)

Joel
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Good answers and probably more experienced than my own.

Any electrical equipment should be safe as long as it is not part of the current path of the welder. I would keep any solid state electronics off of the table simply out of paranoia since it takes very little to damage them.

You shouldn’t have to worry about shocks under any normal conditions. When it is time for my shock treatments, I make sure that I am well grounded, hold the mig wire with one hand and pull the trigger with the other. You probably don’t want to try this.

Post some pictures when you get the hang of it. It won’t take you long.

Sorry I missed your call Brent. I would have called you back. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

bspooh
03-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks all for the replies...Boy, I am having ugly welds..I know it takes time, but I am sure impatient http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif...

I have a new respect for welders..It is an art, and I am NO ARTIST!!!

...Joel..I didn't leave a message because I was going to get back with you, but I ran out of time..You gotta love being busy http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

brent