PDA

View Full Version : Textured paint in new rooms :easy and cheap

ibewgypsie
03-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Simple, I purchased a sprayer for textured paint. A simple textured roller makes the cottage cheese texture I wanted.

You spin up (mix in) Drywall wallboard compound into the primer. Roll it very slowly and it makes the texture as well as the sprayer. If you get in a hurry you wear as much as you apply.

(you know me)
I got it in my beard, eyebrows and clothes. Most of it washed out.

Thought you'd like to know how easy that is to accomplish simply and cheap. No reason to purchase the very expensive texture paint. A gallon don't go very far thou.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Techtchr
03-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Dave,
Under the catagory of live and learn, I made the mistake at one of our houses of patching the wals and putting textured paint on the walls of the very narrow stairwell to cover any imperfections. It was great until I accidently fell down the stairs and almost sanded myself to death http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif I never put texture paint on a wall again. Sounds kinda funny know, but damn did that hurt.
Matt

speedy
03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
You spin up (mix in) Drywall wallboard "compound into the primer. Roll it very slowly and it makes the texture as well as the sprayer. If you get in a hurry you wear as much as you apply.

(you know me)
I got it in my beard, eyebrows and clothes. Most of it washed out."

What, no pics?? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

cheers, Ken

ibewgypsie
03-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech:

Them steel bridges in SOuth Florida make me feel the same way. A Steel grater on a motorcycle, imagine falling on that and it looks like a cheddar cheese shredder? Grater?? Long strips coming out the bottom. And they feel slick, the front wheel you can just feel dancing around.

Can't wait to move the custom painted bike into the new livingroom. I may make a coffee table out of it. (NOT) Lamp maybe?

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

wierdscience
03-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Hehehe...ya me too,looked like a flour mill blew up when I was done http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ever since then I spray popcorn on first(cheap HF hopper gun)then go back with two coats heavy satin latex,much less mess.

John Stevenson
03-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Anyone seen the Mr Bean episode where he's decorating the room?
He goes round and covers every thing up or masks it. He even wraps all the apples in the fruit bowl with tape !!
Remove loose items etc including the door knob.
Then he sticks a stick of dynamite in a 5 gallon tin of paint, lights it, runs to the door but the door knob is wrapped with the apples.

Boom.............

One room in perfect white until there is a movement and Mr Bean is covered but there is a man sized bald patch behind him.

Words don't cover it.............

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 03-29-2005).]

John Stevenson
03-29-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech,
That made me smile http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I can appreciate that as I fell downstairs a while ago with wet feet.
We have an old Victorian house with spindled stairs, these are very long and ornate compared to modern ones and quite fragile.

I slipped, fell sideways, stuck my foot thru the soldiers then fell top to bottom and ripped every soldier out the run.
Landed at the bottom and got hit over the head 20 times and there are only 19 spindles http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I lay there all bent up and Gert rushed up to check if anything was broken, the spindles that is.
Fortunately it had pulled them out clean and no broken ones.

As an aside, when we moved here the house had been 'modernised' during it's 100 year life. Things like panelled doors flushed with hardboard sheets and the stairs had been panelled in but fortunately they had left the soldiers underneath although there were a few broken ones.
No sweat because at that time one of my jobs where I worked was manager of the small wood turning section we had.
I took a sample in for the guys to make me a few spares up on the Locatelli copy lathes.
Called back later to see how they were going on and they couldn't do them.
It turns out the the modern wood turning lathes can't do long slender pieces with the amount of detail these had on.

Now for someone who hasn't seen one of these you have a travelling steady like a cathead with a square hole to fit the wood in the centre of the bearing, just behind that is a roughing tool to reduce as much as possible, then followed by a finishing tool to finish, obviously.
Both these are controlled hydraulically from a template or copy at the rear.
The tailstock is also hydraulically operated and is novel in that as the tools move along the work pressure is released to stop the now slender work bowing under pressure.

The problem was these were so long and slender that even with virtualy no tailstock pressure they were bowing and snapping.

I asked how they would have been done originally and no one knew. I then went round a couple of very old local wood working companies that used to do this sort of work.
I found old old guy who knew, it turns out you don't push with a tailstock but pull so the work is in tension and not compression.
He had one of the holders for the chuck end but not the tailstock end. It was just like two pieces of angle iron with a couple of spikes driven in the sides. You pushed these onto the work and slid a taper ring down the angles to stop them opening up.
I made the same for the tailstock with a bearing in it and transfered this to an old hand lathe we had as it would have disrupted production to alter a copy lathe and one of the guys hand turned these new spindles for me.

When I looked closly on the originals you could see the original pin marks from the split chucks.

John S.

Paul Gauthier
03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
John,
I am most intrigued with this tension device you described, any pics?????? Maybe a drawing???????

------------------
Paul G.

Paul Alciatore
03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Textured Paint. The contractor's way of not needing to finish the walls properly. It hides a lot of sloppy workmanship.

First house I built, they asked me how I wanted the walls finished. Textured paint was a extra cost option. I stated that I wanted the walls perfectly flat with plain (no extra cost) paint. I then stated that I intended to inspect with a flashlight at a shallow angle for any imperfections before accepting the job.

Suddenly textured paint was the free option.

Paul A.

madman
03-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Mr Bean has always been my hero.