View Full Version : Becoming a PE in England

Mindi C
03-27-2005, 08:59 AM
What does it take to become a PE in England these days? My boss who is a Canadian, has his license with the British, how did he do that?

Mindi C

03-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Here in in England I don't know what a PE is so it might be difficult http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

John Stevenson
03-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Professional Engineer ??

If so that title doesn't work here.
AMI Mech E, Associate Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers is the common one.
You sit exams for that but some modules can be obtained by work done, patents held etc.

John S.

03-27-2005, 03:51 PM
PE dont know this one.AMI mech E, wow,these are a bit thin on the ground.

03-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Mindi...Say, do you work for Jerry Smith then?

03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
The PE is American. If you wanted to get the American PE, you could try contacting one of the border states and see if they would allow you to sit for the exam. Living in Canada, you would probably be better off getting the PEng in your province since the PE applies only to the state you are registered in. Each state is different, but typically you need to work under a PE for 5 years, don't know if they would take the Canadian equivalent or not and they are particular about the exerience required to qualify. You also have to sit for the FE exam and then take the Principles and Practices exam in your field. Plan on studying for a few months for each exam, the pass rate is about 40-50% and there is not a curve.

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
I hated PE... Well, floor hockey was always fun, and climbing up the peg-board was fun, but I hated doing floor streches, and I hated running around the track in circles.. I had 100's of better things I could have been doing insteading of running around in circles...


Duct Taper
03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I know what you mean, 3PH. I liked roller skating but I hated going around in circles too. Until I went straight one day just to be different. Smacked right into the wall.

John Stevenson
03-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Ask to see his certificate.

He's what a genuine one looks like that's issued by the London Royal Charter.


John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 03-28-2005).]

03-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Come on John, show off your specialty:


3 Phase, don’t forget about dodge ball.

03-29-2005, 04:27 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Duct Taper:
Until I went straight one day just to be different. Smacked right into the wall.</font>

Your orientation is really your own private concern but thanks for sharing http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

cheers, ken

Duct Taper
03-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Ken, "straight" is their slang word. I'm not one of them. I'm NORMAL.

03-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Absolutely no offence or inference intended to you Duct Taper, I just could not resist the play with words http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-29-2005).]