View Full Version : Help on removing worn out allen key bolts?

03-29-2005, 03:54 AM
on my hockey blades the allen key bolts are worn and make almost a perfect circle. how can i remove these bolts? i wish they were the square one or the cross ones but these damn allen key ones are pissing me off.

any help to remove it when its a circle? thanks in advance

03-29-2005, 05:22 AM
There are square screw extractors that sometimes can be tapped into those heads or you could just use the round hole as a drill guide and drill just deep enough to pop the head off and go from there.

03-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Impact the Allen head with a punch to shock loosen the thread then you could try hammering one of those star drive bits in; if that fails try the slow method with a cold chisel or centre punch.

I hope this is of some help.

cheers, Ken

PS .Get a set of good quality Allen keys, use them correctly and junk the others.

03-29-2005, 08:24 AM
A spiral stud remover will work.

03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
You could also use a socket screw extractor. That is exactly what they are made for.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 03-29-2005).]

03-29-2005, 09:40 AM
I've had good luck hammering in a hardened Torx bit. this sets the bit and as suggested will shock the allen bolt.

G.A. Ewen
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Any of the above should work. Adding a cheap impact driver into the mix will ensure success.

03-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Depending on how badly it is worn, a metric hex key can be tapped in and will not slip. As with any stuck bolt or screw, I always use release agent or thin oil on the screw first(AeroKroil works the best I find). You can also drill a small hole through the screw and spray oil through it so it can soak from the back side also. The small hole will sometimes release pressure on the screw and ease it's removal. Good luck.


Steve Steven
03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
You can take a #409 thin cutter disc on a Dremel tool and cut a slot across it and use a straight blade screwdriver on it.

Lynn Standish
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Use one of the methods above, in combination with epoxy between head and removal tool. Let it set up and remove the bolt.

03-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I have used vise grip pliers with good results.

03-29-2005, 04:13 PM
If all else fails you can weld a nut on it and let cool, then spin it off.

03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a method I kind of learned from this board. i take a sharpened small chisel, and "burr" the old flats back into the hex area. Then I tap in the hex wrench and turn them out. Sometimes ou have to burr it in with the hex key already in, but it works. The original idea was to take a rounded center punch or line punch and tap the hex to burr it in, then put in the hex key.

C. Tate
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
What type of head and can you get to it? If you are dealing with counterbored hole and nothing else works try drilling from opposite side. If you cannot get in from that direction try left handed drill from the top. Drill will hpoefully hang and spin out screw. If not drill it out and retap. Drill straight !!!!!! Use cheap drills and buy more than one.


03-30-2005, 01:50 AM
5 flute low helix easy out. There is nothing better.

03-30-2005, 08:54 AM
A flat washer that fits the head od tight for protection and a MIG welder work wonders.

Just build up a stud of weld on it and vise-grip out.

They do make easy-outs for socket head screws called Soc'em outs,but I have never used them.

You can also use a drill bit the same size as the original allen wrench and drill the head off the screw.Then remove the part the screw holds on and vise grip out the remainder.

03-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Guys, if they are the ones I'm thinking of, they are for hockey skates and the allen heads could be sunk into the plastic cover (guard). Could very likely be metric. Some of the worst quality fastners I've used are cheap ass metric crap. Even when heated they will still bust off. I have a whole Toyota full of broken bolts (sigh). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif