PDA

View Full Version : OT...For the Electrical Guys

Arbo
03-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Another question concerning my parade car. I am using a B&S Intek 6.5 HP engine. I would like to run a few lights. Probably two "headlights" and two "taillights". I was thinking of maybe using a small alternator to generate 12VDC, but I know nothing about it. Any ideas on what I can use that won't rob too much HP?

Here is a pic of the engine. I think I have figured a way to extend the output shaft if I need to. This would allow me to mount a V-pulley to run my accessories.

BTW...Low budget is the key to this project!

Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/arbothor1027/bs.jpg

J Tiers
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Lawn tractor generator.

topct
03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
LED's and a rechargable battery. I'm seeing the LED's in the auto parts stores, a small motorcycle battery would light them up for the length of a parade.

Just a thought.

Jtiers has it, a charging coil for a lawn tractor engine.

------------------
Gene

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 03-30-2005).]

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 03-30-2005).]

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I would just use one or two of these sealed lead calcium batteries. A full charge should supply enough power for your parade.. I'm not sure your headlights will be seen as well as your taillights (assuming your tail lights have a red difuser like car tail lights?) You might want to put colored head lights if you want people to see them good in daylight..

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/h/hcap0800.jpg

Specs:

Length: 5.9"
Width: 2.5"
Height: 3.6"
Weight: 5.25lb.
Current: 7AH

Price: $18 bucks for 1, or $33 for 2 of them..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL370&P=ML

If you can find two low current 6v head lights, wire them in series and power them with 12v..

-3Ph

kmccubbin
03-30-2005, 11:43 AM
If you really want an alternator, you can use just about anything you can mount. The majority of the horsepower loss will be determined by the load, not the alternator. The only load the alternator can place on the motor is the drag losses of the drive belt and bearings. Most cars since about 1990 or so have an internal voltage regulator, and the newer and smaller the car, the smaller the alternator. Just get something somewhat common so repair parts and wiring info will be easily available. BTW, alternators can spin either direction.

Kerry

ibewgypsie
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
The common hot rod altenator is a "one wire" chevrolet internal regulator altenator.

I can buy them used for $15. You jump the one hot post into the field plug on the back, Of the two connections on the back the other wire is a charge indicator light. The post wires direct to the battery.

Using one like this gives you the ability to boost off cars, pretty cool?
I have seen the gm altenators on everything from old hysters to tractors to car motors of all types. Cheap and they work.
#2 choice? if you want a starter too?
A generator/starter is the same thing on a older Cub cadet like I have, the generator actually starts the motor. BUT, that requires a regulator and a starter solonoid and a diagram.

------------------
David Cofer, Of:
Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 03-30-2005).]

Paul Alciatore
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Ditto on Kery's comment. The load imposed by a generator/alternator will be mostly determined by the load on the circuit. Generators develop a magnetic force that opposes their rotation. This force is directly proportional to the actual current flowing through the generator and going to the load. Low load = low force and low HP required: Higher load (more current) = more force and more HP required to turn it.

If the alternator is in any kind of shape, the load of the bearings and belts/gears will be nominal.

I would look for any inexpensive 12 V alternator that will supply enough current for your load (lights). Car, truck, golf cart, whatever. You will also need a small battery to supply the field current and to smooth out the output voltage. And a voltage regulator to control things.

Paul A.